New Website

• Question
  • Updated 9 years ago
  • Answered
Hi there,
I would appreciate people's comments on a website I have done for myself and my fellow golfers, constructive criticism welcome and also ideas on how to make it any better?

http://abbotsfordgolfsection.yolasite...

Thanks

Craig
Photo of Craig

Craig

• 449 Posts
  • 11 Reply Likes

Posted 9 years ago

Photo of jeremy

jeremy, Employee

• 1349 Posts
  • 90 Reply Likes
Hi there Craig,

I really like what you have done with your website. It looks very professional and is easy to use. Congratulations on a great job.
Photo of diane

diane

• 1238 Posts
  • 121 Reply Likes
Wow, I didn't know you were an octuplet! Just kidding! A very nice looking website--I like the round corners. Pictures seem to load a bit slow but otherwise it looks great.
Photo of Sanja

Sanja, Official Rep

• 10698 Posts
  • 495 Reply Likes
Hi Craig

You have done a great job with your site! :)

Diane is correct though.. your images are loading up a bit slowly.

Web friendly images should between 20 and 100KB each, depending on how many you have on a page. You can see the file size displayed below the preview of the image in your file manager.

Large images can cause delays in opening, saving, previewing, publishing and viewing your site. This will be a source of frustration to you, and your site visitors. This is how to fix that problem:

1. click on the "File Manager" button
2. click on the picture you wish to edit and then on the 'Edit Image', you will go through to the photo editing site, Picnik.com
3. once in Picnik, click on 'Resize' (make sure the 'keep proportions' button is selected)
4. change the size to something smaller
5. click on ok and then "Save to Yola"

If the picture is too big to load with Picnik, you can change the file size on your PC and re-upload using the File Manager. If you have access to image editing software such as Photoshop, you can use their "save for web" function and this will automatically optimize your images and save them in a web friendly format. You can also use this Image Compression Tool which will allow you to upload your image, compress it and then download the smaller file.

We have an excellent tutorial which is an overview of creating Internet savvy images including information on issues such as screen resolution, image file formats and dpi vs. pixels, here is a link: Images & More Tutorial.
Photo of Craig

Craig

• 449 Posts
  • 11 Reply Likes
Jeremy cheers for the comments trying to make it simple and user friendly!

Diane thanks for the comments also but no I have just done the 8 pics of myself in the meantime to get the correct portions for the boxes hopefully their pictures will follow sometime soon lol

Sanja I take your point and Diane's about the slow loading pictures, I take it you mean on the "courses played" page showing all the golf courses? I will endeavor to get that sorted but these comments are useful to me in order to get this site working without complications, thanks for this and keep them coming if you can think of anything else!!

Thanks

Craig
Photo of Sanja

Sanja, Official Rep

• 10698 Posts
  • 495 Reply Likes
The photos that are slow to upload are found on the following pages:
1. Homepage
2. Handicaps
3. Courses played
Photo of Craig

Craig

• 449 Posts
  • 11 Reply Likes
Thanks Sanja, fixing them as we speak!!
Photo of Craig

Craig

• 449 Posts
  • 11 Reply Likes
HI guys I have managed to downsize all my pictures to about 50kb each so hopefully that helps a bit with the loading of the specific pages advised of!!
Photo of Sanja

Sanja, Official Rep

• 10698 Posts
  • 495 Reply Likes
It's much better. :)

On your "Courses Played" page, you have a lot of images. You've currently scaled them down from 320px × 240px to 175px × 80px (as 1 example). I would suggest resizing them to the exact dimension you want - eg. 175x80px. This too will help in speeding up the process.
Photo of Craig

Craig

• 449 Posts
  • 11 Reply Likes
Im not sure I understand you Sanja, where do you advise this change is made?
Photo of Sanja

Sanja, Official Rep

• 10698 Posts
  • 495 Reply Likes
On your Courses Played page. You have a series of images on that page. If your right click on the image and click on "properties", it will tell you the dimensions of that particular image. For example, for your ABERDOUR image, the original dimensions are 315px × 245px (in your file manager) However, you've resized it on your website to 175px × 80px. So, I would suggest resizing your original image to 175px x 80px. It's not necessary.. but it can also help speed up the page loading. I hope that makes sense. Please let me know if you still have questions.
Photo of Craig

Craig

• 449 Posts
  • 11 Reply Likes
Right ok I get you now, maybe a good idea I will also try that too, thanks for the advise!
Photo of Sanja

Sanja, Official Rep

• 10698 Posts
  • 495 Reply Likes
you're welcome. :)
Photo of JC

JC

• 354 Posts
  • 15 Reply Likes
Craig, look at your site and it looks really good. Can I ask if it is possible to share the code on how you placed images on a box, yet half way in and out of it? As experimenting with boxes and would so appreciate..
Many thanks.
JC
Photo of Craig

Craig

• 449 Posts
  • 11 Reply Likes
Hi Jen,

All you do is add a picture image to your box which I believe UK Duke has already given you a code for on a previous thread ie just go to insert image within your box assuming you have done this as a text box and then added html that way! You then use the wrap right or wrap left button and the picture then goes half in and half out of your desired box!

Hope that makes sense to you if not just ask!