PayPal members area set up

• Question
  • Updated 9 years ago
  • Answered
Hello all. I'm wanting to get a paypal button, that after payment sends the customer a password and user name to access my online tutorials.

I've been on paypal all moring and can get a simple button, but cant find anything that remotely comes close to setting up a members area. Has anyone else managed to do this? I've seen that you can buy downloads for this for $10, Im not interested in that, there has to be a free way.
Photo of Will

Will

• 252 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
  • looking for more money

Posted 9 years ago

Photo of Kershnee

Kershnee

• 2087 Posts
  • 152 Reply Likes
Hi Will,

I have a workaround that might work for you, but it won't create a members area unfortunately. You can try it out if you like.

You can create the following which could have people pay before gaining access to your website:

1. Create a one page site with whatever content you would like displayed, along with a PayPal button, and information on how you will send access to the site once payment is received.
2 On your full site, the one that people are paying to get into and password protect it the page with the online tutorials
3. Once you receive payment you can send out an email with the url of the website and the username and password to enter the site.

Here is some more information that will be helpful if you go this route:

We have a tutorial that explains how to add PayPal to your Yola site. Here is the link: Creating An Online Store].

**Adding Password Protection**

Yola allows you to create a private website, or make part of your site private, by password protecting certain pages on your site.

What this feature allows you to do:

1. Assign a single login ID (username) and password to your site.
2. Choose whether you want to lock (password protect) all the pages on your site.
3. You can then share the login ID and password with people you want to give access to the protected pages.
4. When they access your protected pages they will be asked to type in the login ID and password before viewing these pages.

What this feature does not do:

1. Allow people to register for a username and password on your site. This is a registration feature which we hope to release in future.

How to use the Password Protection feature:

1. Click on the Site Manager tab.
2. Click on "Site Password Protection" underneath the list of pages of your site.
3. Add a login name and password and tick the pages you would like to protect.
4. You can easily protect all your pages by clicking on "Lock All" or take off the password protection by clicking on "Unlock All"
5. When you create a new page, you will see a check box that gives you an option to protect (lock) the new page.
6. Preview your protected page to see what the login form will look like and to test your log in and password.
7. To make the change effective on your live site, click on the yellow 'Update my Site' button.

If someone has a better solution, please add it here.
Photo of Will

Will

• 252 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
Thanks for all the effort with your answer. I already have the site password protected and I then give the user names and password to my students.

I've had interest from random people wanting to learn how to drive online who live so far away from me I can't give them driving lessons. I want to be able to sell the online lessons to anyone anywhere in the world instantly.

I dont want to set up a whole new website just for one page then redirect it back to mine. I also want to avoid having to keep checking my email to see if anyone has bought the tutorials, then send them the details of how to access it. I want it all done automatically.

I know that it can be done and you see it on so many other websites. Are you saying that it can not be done on Yola because of the way the site works?
Photo of Kershnee

Kershnee

• 2087 Posts
  • 152 Reply Likes
You won't be able to allow people to register for a username and password on your site. This is a registration feature which we hope to release in future.
Photo of Will

Will

• 252 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
Thanks Kershnee, I'll stop trying now.
Photo of diane

diane

• 1238 Posts
  • 121 Reply Likes
You could have Paypal send them back to a thankyou page where you could put a link and the password information. (Although everyone would have the same password.) Don't put that page into the navigation. Here's what Paypal says: "Your customers can be sent back to your site immediately after payment. You choose where they go, perhaps to a thank-you page or back to your home page. (Set this up in your Website Payment Preferences on the Profile tab.) We'll send you their contact information for future marketing efforts."
Photo of Will

Will

• 252 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
Diane, thanks so much. I've just finished doing exactly what you've suggested.
for those interested in the same thing, in your paypal account, go to

website payment preferences
and here you can put in the URL redirect once payment has been finished.
I created a landing page, completely seperate from the rest of my site with the username and password details my customers would need to access the onlie tutorials.

http://www.a-class-driving.com
Photo of diane

diane

• 1238 Posts
  • 121 Reply Likes
Glad it worked.
Photo of Joanne Favreau

Joanne Favreau

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
Will, how did you do the login part of the process.