Support for uploading PHP would be awesome!

• Idea
  • Updated 8 years ago
  • Not Planned
Hi Everyone!

It would be nice if we could upload PHP files so we can use our own PHP scripts on our sites.

Click "I like this idea" below if you want PHP on Yola!

Thanks!
Nathan
Photo of Nathan

Nathan, Champion

• 3739 Posts
  • 307 Reply Likes
  • happy & confident

Posted 8 years ago

Photo of Nazlie

Nazlie

• 1721 Posts
  • 51 Reply Likes
Hi Nathan

Thanks for sharing your idea here! I'm not sure if it is technically feasible, but I can run it by the engineers and see what they think ;)

Let's see what other Yola users think about it!

Nazlie
Photo of Nathan

Nathan, Champion

• 3739 Posts
  • 307 Reply Likes
Hi Nazlie, thanks for your reply! :) I started this topic because last week I was making a form and I was using JavaScript to validate it but then I wanted it to submit on the same page (Submitting it with AJAX) instead of forwarding to a new page because it is a feedback form that pops up in a div at the bottom of the page (on my new site that I am creating. But I can't share the URL right now because its not done yet but when it is I will be sure to let everyone have a look and use some of the codes and the tutorials on there!)

AJAX is a way of submitting the form without redirecting, and I could do this, but it has to be on the same domain name, it can't be on another hosting website because if it is, it wont work for security reasons. So if I can upload PHP files then I could do lots of things. I could also make a "File Hosting" site if there was PHP because I already have the form and stuff I just need the PHP to get the file they uploaded and then put the file inside the file manager.

Thanks
Nathan
Photo of Monique

Monique, VP of Customer Support

• 6294 Posts
  • 446 Reply Likes
Official Response
Just to help everyone out on this one: It is something we have already discussed and no, it is not technically feasible. There are a bunch of security issues and all kinds of ways users could break their sites.

Yola has no plans to offer PHP support, now or in the future. Sorry Nathan!
Photo of Nathan

Nathan, Champion

• 3739 Posts
  • 307 Reply Likes
It's okay. Thanks for informing us. Hopefully someday there will be PHP but there will be some PHP that wont be aloud (Like you can't upload PHP but you can use a PHP editor on that would be on Yola [ just an idea ] and it will restrict some PHP codes that would break our sites. Maybe this would be possible someday)

Thanks,
Nathan
Photo of Sanja

Sanja

• 10698 Posts
  • 495 Reply Likes
Hey Nathan

Monique has stated that we do not have any plans to offer PHP support which would also mean that PHP editor is not going to be a feature that we will consider.
Photo of Boomer

Boomer, Champion

• 2055 Posts
  • 84 Reply Likes
Hi Nathan,

If you would like to play around with some PHP and Mysql databases, you could sign up with http://www.zymic.com/ They offer Ad-free hosting, PHP/Mysql, and a free domain name. It's a good (free) starting point.

You could always run your Zymic site (or parts thereof) in an iframe(s) on your Yola website. Download "phpMyAdmin" for your MySQL admin and "Filezilla" for your FTP client. Good luck!
Photo of Nathan

Nathan, Champion

• 3739 Posts
  • 307 Reply Likes
Hi Boomer,

Sorry about not replying. I didn't even know you replied! I'll sign up on that and see what I can do. What I really want to do is use AJAX to submitmy forms but I can't because you can't have PHP files on Yola sites and the URL that AJAX forms submit to has to be on the same domain for it to work. But I'll try that out, thanks Boomer!
Photo of Boomer

Boomer, Champion

• 2055 Posts
  • 84 Reply Likes
That's ok,

PHP is a very powerful, easy to grasp (short learning curve) language.
I have lots of different forms for data and image uploading/resizing.
I've never done any AJAX stuff though, haven't needed to yet.
Good luck with this.
Photo of Nathan

Nathan, Champion

• 3739 Posts
  • 307 Reply Likes
Yeah, AJAX stands for Asynchronous JavaScript and XML and it makes form submitting way faster. The Edit Profile page of My Yola uses AJAX to submit the forms. The page doesn't redirect at all, it stays on the same page. This is what happens:

1. The form gets submitted to the server in the background, but the pages don't switch.

2. The server sends something back if everything in the forms is correct.

3. A message is displayed such as "Your details have been updated successfully"

That's basically how it works. The JavaScript submits the information to the URL given and then displays a message after saying the details have been updated. It is very cool and much better than traditional form submitting.

Here is a better description of AJAX: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ajax_(pr...

Also, I just looked at www.zymic.com and that should work for me. I'll just put an iframe on my Yola site of the Zymic page with the PHP on it.

Thanks
Photo of Boomer

Boomer, Champion

• 2055 Posts
  • 84 Reply Likes
Yeah, I know how AJAX works. I've just never used it for any "live updating" of my forms. What I do is post the form back to the same page it was on (itself).
It does a quick round trip to the database to update the info. Good enough for me.

I have used JSON (similar to AJAX) on one of my availability calendars. I never did the coding myself... just hacked an existing one for my own application. Works great, but for now I'll just stick with the regular PHP "post". I wish you luck Nathan. I've been busy with this one site for 18 months. It's the way to go if you are serious about designing dynamic web pages.
Photo of Boomer

Boomer, Champion

• 2055 Posts
  • 84 Reply Likes
P.S. One thing to bear in mind when working with iframes, is SEO.
Spiders don't crawl their content as far as I'm aware.
Photo of maxim

maxim

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
Okay, so Yola doesn't allow PHP because of safety reasons. You know what, Yola is completely run on PHP. So why do they get PHP and we dont? I am a developer and out of all the webhosters out their I choose Yola, to be honest I am starting to rethink what I choose. I thought Yola would be reliable, I was partially wrong.
they should be having PHP, and phpMyAdmin, an FTP Client.
Right now I am a silver member on Yola.
And also a free user that has 99.9% downtime on another web host that ALLOWS ALL THE ABOVE ITEMS.
Photo of Nathan

Nathan, Champion

• 3739 Posts
  • 307 Reply Likes
Hi there maxim

I'm a web designer too, and I know all that coding stuff (HTML, CSS, JavaScript, some PHP, etc.) But Yola isn't for sites that you build on all HTML yourself, Yola is for people that have no HTML knowledge, and it makes it easy for people to build sites. Now of course you can still use Yola if you know all this because I know all of that stuff too and I use yola all the time. But, Yola isn't a web host, it's a website builder. I really wish that Yola supports PHP too but it doesn't and that's for security reasons: if someone uploads a PHP file to their site and it isn't coded right it could break their site and other Yola sites too so that's the reason PHP isn't allowed. You could try what Boomer said above, that may work for you.

I hope this is helpful.

Kind regards,
Nathan
Photo of Laura Thomas

Laura Thomas, Social Media Coordinator

• 4536 Posts
  • 211 Reply Likes
Thanks for your comment Nathan, as always we appreciate the support.

We certainly understand your point of view maxim, but Nathan is right on track with the purpose of Yola. We are proud of the premium hosting we provide but our service first and foremost is to enable small business owners with little to no coding experience to build a professional looking website and publish it to the web quickly and easily.

We have logged the addition of both PHP and FTP support as feature requests for advanced users but it is not currently planned as Monique indicated above.