Pointing www.123-reg.co.uk domain to yola site

• Question
  • Updated 6 years ago
  • Answered
Hi been struggling with pointing my www.123-reg.co.uk domain name to my yola site. I have followed instructions, my domain name www.agrover.co.uk comes up with yola site telling me to follow yola publishing site action, but when i do i get the message www.agrover.co.uk is NOT pointed, although the yola page says it is.

I have tried manytimes, left for month or so, reset all settings on 123.reg,
I have followed tutorials in detail for both yola and 123 reg, i have searched here for solutions but all seem to refer to standard help, which i have followed.

Please, please Help what am i doing wrong

www.agrover.co.uk
www.agrover.yolasite.com

PS help on yola site management page is odd as sent a request but got no message, ackowledment etc, so dont know what happened.
Photo of aphgro

aphgro

• 9 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
  • frustrated

Posted 9 years ago

Photo of Kershnee

Kershnee

• 2087 Posts
  • 152 Reply Likes
Hi Adrian,

I am sorry to hear that you are having this issue. I am sure this is very frustrating. I have just replied to your email as well.

I did a DNS lookup on your domain and unfortunately it is not pointing to 208.75.208.172. It is currently pointing to 194.154.164.82.

Here is specific info on how to point your domain purchased from 123-reg:

Manage DNS:

1) You will need to login to the account using the "login to your control panel" button. This is located on the top right hand side of the page.
2) You should now be at a new page. Using the scroll bar on the right hand side of your web browser, you should now be presented with the blue section and a dropdown box that contains a domain name. Next to this dropdown box is a button that says "modify domain".

* Select the domain you wish to modify from the dropdown box
* Click the "Manage" button.

3) You should now be at a new page. Select the option you require. The options you will be faced with are as follows:

* Access my InstantSite Account
* Manage DNS
* Web Forwarding
* E-mail Management
* Change Nameservers
* Change IPS Tag
* Modify Contact Details
* WHOIS Opt out
* Transfer Domain to another 123-reg user
* Display or Print an Invoice
* Domain Parking

4) Click on Manage DNS.
5) You will need to have two A Records, one with name: @ and the other with the name: * Both need to point to the IP address: 208.75.208.172, then click on the "Update DNS" button and wait for 24-48 hours for the new settings to become active.
6) Once you have configured your DNS settings, click the yellow "Publish My Site" button in Yola, then click on "I already own my domain name" and then "Next step". Enter your domain name and follow the prompts to publish your site. (If your site is already published, click the drop down arrow next to the "Update my Site" button, and then select "Publishing Settings" and you will see an option to add a domain you already own).

If you continue to have problems with this, please let us know.
Photo of aphgro

aphgro

• 9 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Sorted, thank you so much, already bought a second domain name and linked to my other site, fantastic service, especially for a snow saturday. Thanks
Photo of Sanja

Sanja, Official Rep

• 10698 Posts
  • 495 Reply Likes
Great to hear Adrian! :)
Photo of StephB

StephB

• 6 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
was 208.75.208.172 specific to adrians needs as this not the IP address that Yola say to point towards, Yola ask us to point at 184.72.229.176

I am also struggling to get my 123 reg domain to point at yola, It seems i've managed to fix for @ but not www

should my DNS be '@' and 'www' or '@' and 'www.domain.co.uk'?

x
Photo of Emmy

Emmy

• 5892 Posts
  • 299 Reply Likes
Hello Adrain,

We do have some specific instructions for 123-red domains. If you look at #5 in these instructions you will see how the domain records need to look.

To point your domain to your host's IP address you will need to do the following:

Manage DNS:

1) You will need to login to the account using the "login to your control panel" button. This is located on the top right hand side of the page.
2) You should now be at a new page. Using the scroll bar on the right hand side of your web browser, you should now be presented with the blue section and a dropdown box that contains a domain name. Next to this dropdown box is a button that says "modify domain".

* Select the domain you wish to modify from the dropdown box
* Click the "Manage" button.

3) You should now be at a new page. Select the option you require. The options you will be faced with are as follows:

* Access my InstantSite Account
* Manage DNS
* Web Forwarding
* E-mail Management
* Change Nameservers
* Change IPS Tag
* Modify Contact Details
* WHOIS Opt out
* Transfer Domain to another 123-reg user
* Display or Print an Invoice
* Domain Parking

4) Click on Manage DNS.
5) You will need to have two A Records, one with name: @ and the other with the name: * Both need to point to the IP address: 184.72.229.176, then click on the "Update DNS" button and wait for 24-48 hours for the new settings to become active.
6) Once you have configured your DNS settings, click the green "Publish to the web" button in Yola. Select "I already own my domain name" and then "Next step". Enter your domain name and follow the prompts to publish your site. (If your site is already published, click the drop down arrow next to the "Publish to the web" button, and then select "Publishing Settings" and you will see an option to add a domain you already own).

I hope this information is helpful!

Kind Regards,
Emmy
Photo of aphgro

aphgro

• 9 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Having built and pointed 4 sites successfully with www.123-reg.com I again have the problem.

This time it is www.avon4reps.co.uk.

I have changed DNS to:

@ A 184.72.229.176
www A 184.72. 229.176

But just get Yola holding page. Have reset dns and changed again, but no luck. what have i done wrong this time? Attach image of dns settings.

Thanks again.
Ade
www.adegrover.co.uk
Photo of Nazlie

Nazlie

• 1721 Posts
  • 51 Reply Likes
Hi Adrian

Thanks for attaching the screen shot. That is useful to see. I checked the domain settings and see that only one A Record is pointed. If you have just recently updated your DNS settings to point to Yola, then it might be that the changes have not yet propagated across the internet. It can take up to 48 hours for these changes to take effect. If it is less than 48 hours, I suggest that you wait and check back again later. You can also check on this site to see whether 2 A Records are showing up. Type or paste your domain name into the "Domain" field and click on "Look it up". The results will show up in the window beneath the link.

If you have waited out this time and your domain is still not showing 2 A Records pointing to Yola, then please contact your domain registrar for further assistance.

Thank you
Nazlie
Photo of Andi North, Mangopear Media

Andi North, Mangopear Media

• 782 Posts
  • 111 Reply Likes
I have previously used 123-reg and it does take a little while - be patient and it will work! I had to wait about 48 hours for one of them but, it worked!
Photo of Vanessa Robinson Truly Scrumptious

Vanessa Robinson Truly Scrumptious

• 5 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Hi

I am having some problems with a domain name purchased from 123 reg also and cannot get it to point to yola, do i need to use 208.75.208.172 or 184.72.229.176

My site is www.trulyscrumptiouslondon.co.uk

Thanks
Photo of Laura Thomas

Laura Thomas, Social Media Coordinator

• 4536 Posts
  • 211 Reply Likes
Hi Vanessa, You need to set up 2 A records pointing to: 184.72.229.176. See our complete instructions here.
Photo of Richard Winslow

Richard Winslow

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
trulyscrumptiouslondon.co.uk. 86400 IN A 184.72.229.176
www.trulyscrumptiouslondon.co.uk. 86400 IN A 184.72.229.176

Your domain name is directing through to the IP address required as stated here, so you should just have to wait for any DNS propagation with your ISP, something that can take anywhere between 6 and 48 hours.

123-reg update their name servers instantly, using a dig+trace will show the live details, which are those above.

Any problems, email me, richard.winslow@123-reg.co.uk

Thanks, Richard.
Photo of Gop

Gop

• 7473 Posts
  • 2115 Reply Likes
That is excellent service Richard.

It's great to have a confirmatory message in situations like this and I'm sure Vanessa is reassured.
Photo of luke sartain

luke sartain

• 12 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Hi guys bought a 2nd 123-reg domain for my site www.lsgcreative.co.uk

http://www.websitedesigninbristol.co.uk

it is pointing at yola - when I submit the site I get this.... ideas please

thanks
Photo of Stefan

Stefan, Official Rep

• 4448 Posts
  • 190 Reply Likes
Hello Luke

I have looked up your DNS settings, and I can confirm that your domain is pointing to us correctly. When I tried to add your domain in your My Yola, it worked.

Can you please clear your browser's cache and cookies and retry? If it's not working on your end, please let me know which website you'd like to publish to your new domain, and I will be able to do it for you. Afterwards you should be able to make any changes.