Problem, Lost Content, Custom Widgets

  • 1
  • Problem
  • Updated 6 years ago
  • Solved
Hi Yola Support, bit of a problem.

Attempted to add a new custom panel on one of my pages, with some info inside. While trying to drag it where I wanted it, for some reason it ended up the top of the page then I couldn't get it back down the bottom of the page again.

After a bit of this, clicking around, thought I'd try logging out and in again, but when I re-entered the site builder, most of the content on my page had disappeared!

Have tried;
- Restarting Yola
- Changing Styles
- Removing All Custom HTML Widgets.

But nothing works. Fortunately I didn't publish after all this, so the version which is currently published is how the page is supposed to look.

Wondering if there's any way you guys can take code from the currently published version which is still fine and use it to restore the currently stuffed up version in the editor, or any other ideas? It would take ages to recreate that page from scratch :(

The page is:
http://paulmcdermottmusic.yolasite.co...

Appreciate any help on this! :)
Photo of Eyes Half Closed

Eyes Half Closed

  • 62 Posts
  • 17 Reply Likes
  • anxious

Posted 6 years ago

  • 1
Photo of Stefan

Stefan, Official Rep

  • 4448 Posts
  • 190 Reply Likes
Hello Eyes Half Closed

I'm not sure what you did exactly, but you must have saved an updated version of your page, otherwise your old content as visible on your live site should still show up in your Yola Sitebuilder.

You could try to restore it by copying the HTML code from the source code of this page of the live site and paste it into an HTML Widget on your page with Yola. However, having these elements in HTML Widgets makes them much less handy to edit, and you will need to be experienced with using code to make changes to these elements.

Please be careful about what kind of custom elements you add to your pages. Opening your website in Firefox takes ages to load for me, and I can still see the loading icon working in the browser tab, at least for the Music page. In Chrome it seems to work better.

To avoid loss of content in future, you can duplicate a page and use it as a test page to check custom code you want to add to it. If it doesn't work, you can simply delete the page, and create a new duplicate page from your real page. Once you've checked that the elements you added are safe, you can save the duplicated page as your real page.
Photo of Stefan

Stefan, Official Rep

  • 4448 Posts
  • 190 Reply Likes
I've just seen that your Sitebuilder displays two different Style templates for some of your pages. This is normally impossible, so I will need to ask our specialists if there is some error in your account and if the original page can be restored.
Photo of Eyes Half Closed

Eyes Half Closed

  • 62 Posts
  • 17 Reply Likes
Hi Stefan,

Thanks for the tips in any case, I'll think I'll save backup copies of pages as I go from now on. The site usually loads fairly quickly for me, even after clearing my browser cache. Which two style templates are being displayed, and for which pages is this on?

Cheers.
Photo of Stefan

Stefan, Official Rep

  • 4448 Posts
  • 190 Reply Likes
Hi EHC

Your pages "Music", "Forum" and "Old" do not have the same Style Template as your published site. Also, when I open some of your pages in Sitebuilder View, I'm getting a series of error messages with regard to widgets before it finishes loading. This usually indicates that invalid or incorrect custom code has been added. On your "Old" page I can see HTML Widgets which contain unclosed HTML tags in the source code. This may affect the surrounding elements or the whole page or site.
Photo of Eyes Half Closed

Eyes Half Closed

  • 62 Posts
  • 17 Reply Likes
Hi Stefan,

"Forum" and "Old" are just testing pages and not used in the published site, but in any case I've changed to another Style Template now, which seems to be showing up fine on every page.

And I'm aware of the errors coming up with the HTML tags on the "Old" page, that page was just for testing different versions of my home page; where all the tags have been properly closed.

Rebuilding "Music" page manually now anyway, using content from the published version, so I'll check all the custom code as I go.

Thanks for your help!