Purchasing a custom domain if I have already published my site?

• Idea
  • Updated 10 years ago
  • Planned
Photo of SynthaSite FAQ

SynthaSite FAQ

• 67 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 11 years ago

Photo of Chris

Chris

• 82 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Official Response
A few users have asked us how they can purchase their own domain name to use for a site already published on a SynthaSite subdomain (yoursite.synthasite.com.)

We are working on an easier solution, but here's a process you can use in the meantime:

1) From the site manager, click the arrow next to "Update My Site" and choose "Publishing Settings."

2) Choose "Unpublish Your Site" and confirm when asked.

3) Choose "Publish Your Site" from the dialog box that's displayed

4) Select the second option and choose your domain name!

**IMPORTANT: By doing this, you will no longer have access to your old SynthaSite subdomain (yoursite.synthasite.com.) Visitors will only be able to access your site from the new domain name, and the old subdomain will not work. You'll have to update any links or references to your site to include the new domain name. If you prefer to wait, we'll release a solution that will redirect your old subdomain to your new custom domain; I don't have an estimated release date at this time but we'll let you know when it's live.

As always, please let us know if you have any questions or issues!

Cheers,
Chris
Photo of Sonia

Sonia

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
Hi! Where do i click to know the cost of a domain name before i sign?
Photo of frankiee

frankiee

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
Hi, where can you or can you use an .ie domain name when you purchase the domain name with SynthaSite?
Photo of Marije

Marije, Official Rep

• 4636 Posts
  • 237 Reply Likes
Hi frankiee - you can only buy a .com or .net with SynthaSite, but you can publish to .ie domain if you've already bought it. This thread has more info on how to do that: http://getsatisfaction.com/SynthaSite...
Photo of andy1

andy1

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
i am seriously considering purchasing a domain name through synthasite but i am unsure of what the cost is. is it just a one time payment of $14.95 for the full year and then the next year i just renew it by paying $14.95? or is there other payments throughout the year that i have to pay? also if i decide after a year that i don't want the domain name, can i switch it to the free domain without any charges or penalties. thank you for your time.
Photo of Chris

Chris

• 82 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Hi Andy1 - You are correct that the $14.95 is the price it costs to register your custom domain for a year. When we near the time to renew the domain about a year from now, we'll contact you with information on how to do that. If you decide not to renew it at that time, you can basically follow the opposite of the process I outlined above - unpublish your site from the custom domain and republish it to a SynthaSite subdomain. I should note here that any links on other sites pointing to your custom domain would be broken - it may not be a huge issue for you, but I wanted to make sure I mentioned it.

Thanks to everyone for all of your questions about custom domains - we're currently working on making the switch to a custom domain easier and adding a bit more information to our interface.
Photo of Ruth

Ruth

• 2819 Posts
  • 135 Reply Likes
Hi Sonia,

The cost of a custom domain name with SynthaSite is US$14.95.
Photo of Bartman

Bartman

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
Hallo Ruth,
I am orientating to use SynthiaSite for several mini-sites to strengthen our webshop.

Is the above mentioned price 14,95 to link my SynthiaSite to 'my own owned domain', or is this the price for have SynthiaSite register the domain name?

Thanks in advance.

kind regards,

Bart
Photo of Ruth

Ruth

• 2819 Posts
  • 135 Reply Likes
It is the price to have SynthaSite register the domain name. If you have your own domain name already you can host with us for free. Here is a link to a tutorial which explains how to do this: http://www.synthasite.com/tutorials/p...
Photo of Chris

Chris

• 82 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Official Response
As I mentioned on another post at http://getsatisfaction.com/SynthaSite... , you can now upgrade to a custom domain at any time. We'll automatically redirect users that visit your old subdomain to your brand new custom domain!
Photo of DJ Groove

DJ Groove

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Hi Chris, I would like to ask a question for you... I have a Registered Domain name @ registerphil.com .. Can i use the Domain Name registered @ registerphil.com in synthasite as my Web Address or URL Address???....

Thank You!
Give Respect
DJ Groove
Photo of Marije

Marije, Official Rep

• 4636 Posts
  • 237 Reply Likes
Hi DJ Groove - you can use your own domain purchased from another registrar. You'll need to edit your DNS settings and you can find more information on this thread: http://getsatisfaction.com/SynthaSite...
Photo of DJ Groove

DJ Groove

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Thanks Marije - I'll just post a comment if i have a trouble for this topic...

Thank You!
Give Respect
DJ Groove