Redirect non www to www

• Question
  • Updated 7 years ago
  • Answered
I'd like to redirect the domain "example.com" to "www.example.com" with the domain that I have here on Yola. I understand how to do this with .htaccess, but do not know where to find that here or if I even have access to it. Please help. Thank you.
Photo of Stevie Driscoll

Stevie Driscoll

• 4 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like

Posted 7 years ago

Photo of Gop

Gop

• 7473 Posts
  • 2115 Reply Likes
Hi Stevie,

Yola already set a permanent redirect (301) to your canonical url. (I can't remember which is the primary and which is the secondary), so it's worthwhile testing and see if both addresses come up with the same URL.
Photo of Stevie Driscoll

Stevie Driscoll

• 4 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Thanks for responding. I should be more specific: I bought "ribboncandy.ca" through Yola, but I already had a site at ribboncandy.bigcartel.com. So, I created a CNAME record to make my already established site (ribboncandy.bigcartel.com) use this new url. "www.ribboncandy.ca" is linked seamlessly, but "ribboncandy.ca" does not.

I know a little about this stuff, but I am in over my head!
Photo of Gop

Gop

• 7473 Posts
  • 2115 Reply Likes
Thanks Stevie,

I have captured a screen shot of the CNAME and the A record for your domains.

Is this what you expected to see first of all:

Is it worth while setting a CNAME record for the non-www as you have done for the www version? I'm really guessing here??
Photo of Laura Thomas

Laura Thomas, Social Media Coordinator

• 4536 Posts
  • 211 Reply Likes
Hi Stevie,

Gop is correct, you must set a CNAME record for both the www and non-www version of your domain in order for both to direct to your domain properly.
Photo of Stevie Driscoll

Stevie Driscoll

• 4 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Thanks to you both. My problem was that I didn't know how to redirect the non-www version, but I tried a couple of different ways, and it's working now. I think I used "*" in place of where I had done "www" before.

Thanks for your time!
Photo of Gop

Gop

• 7473 Posts
  • 2115 Reply Likes
Well done Stevie. DNS management is very complex for me and for you to move out of the norm is an excellent achievement. Congrats.
Photo of Stevie Driscoll

Stevie Driscoll

• 4 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Thanks. : ) That's really kind of you to say!