Research has proven effective, need help deciding on something.

• Question
  • Updated 9 years ago
  • Answered
Well well...

never would've thought!

There is at a minimum of 30 different types of scripting and markup languages. As you may know.... I'm Attempting to write a book in full detail on the different web design (markup and scripting) languages such as html, php, css, dom, rdf, svg, soap, xhtml, xml, etc.

This unfortunately, will be an extremely large book. I am now thinking about separating it into volumes. How can I organize this to be sufficient?

Remember, as you provide me with help, I'm writing down your name and you will get 50% off of any book if purchased in the first three months. :)
Photo of Donald

Donald

• 2991 Posts
  • 37 Reply Likes
  • http://youcanneverbetoosmart.com

Posted 9 years ago

Photo of Donald

Donald

• 2991 Posts
  • 37 Reply Likes
Want to see an excerpt of the book? Remember... it's only a rough draft...

http://sitebuilder.yola.com/sites/D7d...
Photo of Donald

Donald

• 2991 Posts
  • 37 Reply Likes
I could do more with color, but then the book will have to be like 4 times the price (I know... crazy right?)

When publishing, gray is considered black and white, isn't it?
Photo of Donald

Donald

• 2991 Posts
  • 37 Reply Likes
and an update...

An Excerpt from my book
Photo of Donald

Donald

• 2991 Posts
  • 37 Reply Likes
yea, that's the link I posted!
Photo of William

William

• 294 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
donald thats the idea I was thinking of, its clean and easy to read, I know its a draft but its good, well done... the second link above this doesnt work..
Photo of Donald

Donald

• 2991 Posts
  • 37 Reply Likes
that's weird cause when I first posted it and tested it, it worked, now it doesn't. But it confuses me that if its the wrong link how does connor know the right one? Anyways, the one connor posted works.
Photo of Donald

Donald

• 2991 Posts
  • 37 Reply Likes
When I started making the page and I made a second page with margins, I accidentally made the mistake of making the second page with margins on the same side. And if you know a book, they go on different sides. The left page usually has margins on the left (outside of book) and the right page has margins on the right (also the outside of the book)... and this isn't an easy fix. I had to copy the left side of the page and post it in a one column page, copy the right side of the page and post it before the left side in the one column page, add columns and do all my borders all over again.
Photo of Donald

Donald

• 2991 Posts
  • 37 Reply Likes
ok, check that link again, I replaced the screen shot... I've added a light gray background to the margin area. Tell me what you think. Gray does print in black and white copies right?
Photo of William

William

• 294 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I see what you mean, more work lol, its all in the fun of creating a book mate, you will get there, the other link worked fine, cheers.. it looks good with the gray now im not going to commit to that coz they might include that as a color, so beware, ask lulu support before u upload the file, in case they decide gray is a color and not black and white. but it does look good gray..
Photo of Donald

Donald

• 2991 Posts
  • 37 Reply Likes
I think you get to select color or black and white don't you? All gray is is a mixture of black and white. I don't think gray is included as a color because when you have a printer with no color ink, it will still print the gray as is.
Photo of Donald

Donald

• 2991 Posts
  • 37 Reply Likes
William...

I'm finding that this "introduction" book is going to have to include more information than I originally thought. So I had an idea...

I want each topic "HTML", "XML", etc. to only be one page long - since it is only an "introduction". So... I am thinking about putting the most important information in the body of the book and having each topic no more than one page - then include an appendix at the end to include more detailed information. However, it won't be so detailed as to take away from my other volumes. I won't include in this book specific information as to "how to" write an html code and design websites with them and stuff. Basically, only general information will go into this book. XML is particularly a large topic itself.

What do you think of the idea to add other information in as an appendix at the end of the book?
Photo of William

William

• 294 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Its a brilliant idea mate, u do need to keep it compact but teasing enough to want the reader to buy the full volumes, and to learn to write the codes good one..
Photo of Donald

Donald

• 2991 Posts
  • 37 Reply Likes
yea. When I write the volumes in full detail. It'll include the same information in this book under the introduction section, and then it'll have sections such as "World Wide Web Consortium (W3C) and HTML", "HTML releases and updates" "tags used in HTML" - describing all the tags and what they do. "Putting tags to use in HTML", "designing a webpage using HTML", etc. - as examples.
Photo of Donald

Donald

• 2991 Posts
  • 37 Reply Likes
I'll also try to come up with lists and descriptions such as...

developers of HTML
products of HTML
web creators using HTML
programs using HTML
Photo of Donald

Donald

• 2991 Posts
  • 37 Reply Likes
XML is going to be one long book... they have hundreds of XML-based languages which will need to be included.
Photo of William

William

• 294 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
now thats a GREAT idea, updates, very clever, and they will have to come to your website for them? very clever, donald answer my question I posted please, no one else is...ta