SEO question

• Question
  • Updated 10 years ago
SEO question
Do keywords need to be in the content for the search engine to utilize them?
Photo of Craig

Craig

• 72 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
  • unsure

Posted 10 years ago

Photo of jeremy

jeremy, Employee

• 1349 Posts
  • 90 Reply Likes
Hi there Craig,

Yola does give you the option to add them in your properties section on your page but it is best to also use your keywords in your text on your pages.

You can add them to your properties as follows:

1. Click on the "Properties" sidebar in Yola.
2. Type in your keywords in the specially designated field (the third box from the top).
3. Keywords should be in lower case, separated by commas, with a space after each comma.

Remember you don't want to over-use your keywords - it must be as natural a use of them as possible.

I hope this helps.

Jeremy
Photo of Craig

Craig

• 72 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
ok why is it best to use them in the actual content ?
Photo of jeremy

jeremy, Employee

• 1349 Posts
  • 90 Reply Likes
Hi there Craig,
Once the search engines have found your page through your meta tags they will go over your content like one of your users would. You need your keywords there so that the search engine's spiders will find content that will match your keywords. As far as I know they go over your content from left to right and top to bottom so make sure that you have your keywords closer to the top left hand corner. But don't over-use them.

Remember you can also wrap your text in Header tags to make it stand out more to the search engines.

Kind Regards,

Jeremy
Photo of Craig

Craig

• 72 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Thanks, but if for example my content was on an island and one of my keywords is jamaica, but the content does not contain jamaica does the search engine still use the word jamaica as a keyword.

For example lots of people think Barbados is in Jamaica.
Photo of Emmy

Emmy

• 5892 Posts
  • 299 Reply Likes
Official Response
Hello Craig,

It's important that your page does contain the keywords that you would like the search engines to notice or list you for. You should watch our webinar, Introduction to SEO, which has a specific section dedicated to creating website content. You can watch the webinar here: Yola.tv.

I hope this helps!

Emmy
Photo of Craig

Craig

• 72 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I did watch it but thanks. Was wondering if the page doesn't contain the same keywords if the search engine still uses the keywords.
Again my example:
If I was promoting barbados, which lots of people think wrongfully is in Jamaica and I have no content on Jamaica but I use jamaica as a keyword would search engine use Jamaica as a keyword also.
Please say yes or no
Thanks.
Photo of Emmy

Emmy

• 5892 Posts
  • 299 Reply Likes
Hi Craig,
Are you referring to using "Jamaica" in the keywords section in the Properties Tab? I am sure the search engines can relate the two, but I cannot be sure if you have no content on your page that says "Jamaica" if the search engine will send you traffic because of your site having a "Barbados" topic.

Emmy
Photo of Craig

Craig

• 72 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
yes I mean using Jamaica in the Properties Tab without having it in the content. Just an example.
Photo of Emmy

Emmy

• 5892 Posts
  • 299 Reply Likes
Yes, putting Jamaica in the Properties Tab in the Keywords section but not having it on your page is not going to be helpful. Hope that helps!
Photo of Craig

Craig

• 72 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Thanks