site navigation

• Question
  • Updated 8 years ago
  • Answered
has anyone stumbled on a widget or feature for site navigation?

perhaps i havent look thoroughly in the forum. if this has been answered, please point me there with a link?

thanks
Photo of RolandKnight

RolandKnight

• 14 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 8 years ago

Photo of Nathan

Nathan, Champion

• 3739 Posts
  • 307 Reply Likes
Hello RolandKnight,

Navigation is one of the biggest features on sites because it's what gets you around. If you don't have a navigation menu, can you let me know what style you're using?

Also, can you try going to Page > Page Manager and then if you see red X's on all of the navigation links then that is why you don't have a menu. Just click on each X and the'll turn to a green check mark. When they're green, that means they are displayed in the menu. When they're red X's that means they are out of the menu.

Nathan
Photo of RolandKnight

RolandKnight

• 14 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Hi Nathan. Thanks for taking me on this.

The menu is working just fine. However, there is no visual indication (like a background color on the selected item) where the visitor is at the site.

Like maybe something like "HOME>DIRECTORY>LIST" somewhere obvious.

Could it be the style I am using?
Photo of Andi North, Mangopear Media

Andi North, Mangopear Media

• 782 Posts
  • 111 Reply Likes
Hello RowlandKnight,

There is not a feature for this. This is partly because there is no actual site structure like that - even in the URL's.

You could create this by adding a text widget to the page and using links.

Hope this helps,

Andi
Photo of Emmy

Emmy

• 5892 Posts
  • 299 Reply Likes
Hello RowlandKnight,

It kindof sounds to me like you want to create a breadcrumb navigation. Breadcrumb navigation generally appears horizontally at the top of a page providing links back through the previous pages used to navigate to the current page. An example would be:

> Home > Articles > Parenting Articles > Toddlers > Finger Foods for Toddlers

This specific breadcrumb example would appear at the top of the "Finger Foods for Toddlers" page. Each page to the left of the "Finger Foods for Toddlers" would be a link taking the visitor back through the exact path they took to get to the current page. Yola does not have a feature that will create a breadcrumb navigation automatically, but this is something you can create easily using text links.

Here's how to add text links to your page to create breadcrumbs:

1. Drag and drop a Text Widget onto your page.
2. Add the text for the pages that it took to get to the current page such as in the example above (this will be the link text).
3. Highlight the link text for one of the pages and click on the link button on the text editing toolbar.
4. The Link Editor will open up and you will be given 4 options; option one will be to link to a page within your site. Click the button with the three little dots and you will see a list of all of your site's pages.
5. Choose the appropriate page.
6. Repeat steps 3 - 5 for each of the pages.

To check that your links are working, preview your page and then click on the link. I hope that will be helpful!

Kind Regards,
Emmy
Photo of RolandKnight

RolandKnight

• 14 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Hello Emmy and Andi

Your suggestions are terrific. I shall try it out.

@Emmy yes breadcrumbs is the word I was trying to find. It would have simplified things in the first place.

@Nathan sorry about missing out the breadcrumb.

@Admin (Brianna) this topic is "answered". thanks
Photo of Nathan

Nathan, Champion

• 3739 Posts
  • 307 Reply Likes
It's ok.I thought you meant that you didn't have a navigation menu! :)