Site navigation

• Question
  • Updated 7 years ago
  • Answered
I recently transferred my HTML site into Yola. It includes a facility at the end of each chapter to return to the contents list. This isn't working. It has worked elsewhere. Can you tell me why? I am using what I take to be the standard HTML formula, which I assume will apply to all websites.

The end-of-chapter instruction is Return to home page
And the other end is . Is this right for Yola?
Photo of aciscon

aciscon

• 6 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 7 years ago

Photo of Philip Taylor

Philip Taylor

• 355 Posts
  • 66 Reply Likes
Can't read your HTML text, but I've used HTML to jump from page to page, and what I've done is something like this : Open with an A HREF= tag , then your target page ( index.php or whatever ) inside double quotes, then Return to Home Page (or whatever you want people to see) then a closing /a tag . (I can't just write the whole line here as it will be invisible as yours was). The tags of course are inside < and >.
Photo of Nazlie

Nazlie

• 1721 Posts
  • 51 Reply Likes
Hi acison

The link in your post is not directing to anywhere. Please paste your code so that we can see why it is not working. If you have posted the code, as Philip says, it will not show up if you paste it directly into the post.

You will need to add your code like this:

<!-- your code here -->

Thank you
Nazlie
Photo of aciscon

aciscon

• 6 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
The source navigation is <!--<A href="#home">Return to homepage</A>-->
but this has been changed by Yola to <!--><A href="#home"><FONT color=#330099><FONT size=4>Return to homepage</FONT></FONT></A>-->
The destination navigation is <!--<A name =home></A>-->
which has been changed by Yola to a href="./" title="Home">Home

I hope this makes sense.

Thank you for your help so far - in my first email parts of the two references got lost by being applied - your additional symbols seem to have overcome this.

John Claxton
Photo of Philip Taylor

Philip Taylor

• 355 Posts
  • 66 Reply Likes
I'm a bit confused...
Are you just trying to be able to jump back to the Home page from any other page?
If that's the case, you don't need most of that coding.
This is all I'm doing:

<!-- <a href="index.php">Return to Home Page</a> -->

(with no <!-- or --> of course)

This goes on every page you want to jump back from; nothing needed in the Home page at all.
The index.php is the name you used for the home page (index or home) with .php after it.
Photo of aciscon

aciscon

• 6 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Sorry to confuse you.
My use of the term "homepage" is incorrect because the whole document (my autobiography) is on one page.
What I wish to do is to return to the Contents at the beginning of the document, at the end of each chapter.
On other websites there needed to be "target" at the beginning, otherwise the move would not take place.
In the same way, the document is set up to be able to go immediately to the beginning of any chapter, which needs a target at those points - and this is working correctly.
Photo of Philip Taylor

Philip Taylor

• 355 Posts
  • 66 Reply Likes
Ok, this is what works, at least in Yola:
At the place you want to jump back TO (say the Top):
<!-- <a name="top"></a> -->
And at each place you want to jump FROM:
<!-- <a href="#top"></a> -->
(ignore my <!-- and -->, they're just to make the code visible to you).
Photo of Philip Taylor

Philip Taylor

• 355 Posts
  • 66 Reply Likes
Just looked at your last response... I suspect you may have used a Text widget instead of an HTML widget for the page. I don't know what Yola does with HTML in text widgets, but the code you were using (which is the same as I just wrote) works in an HTML widget. Hope this helps
Photo of Sanja

Sanja, Official Rep

• 10698 Posts
  • 495 Reply Likes
Thanks for all your help on this Phillip!

Aciscon, please let us know if you're still struggling with this.
Photo of aciscon

aciscon

• 6 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I decided to change the HTML to my original.
I clicked on style, edit custom CSS, site HTML but could not make any changes at all. How do I edit it?
Don't know what you mean by Text widget. What I did was copy the whole HTML wording from another site (Multimania) to my computer and uploaded it to Yola.
Should I have done something else (although everything else works, in particular the facility to move to the start any chapter from the contents list, which is a similar navigation to the present problem)?
Please forgive me for being such a duffer. My only excuse is that I am aged over 80!
Photo of Philip Taylor

Philip Taylor

• 355 Posts
  • 66 Reply Likes
If you're using the free version, you can't edit the CSS source.
But you can get into the page HTML styling by clicking the small HTML button above your page while the page is open. Here you can change the styling to suit yourself.
The Text widget and HTML widget are at the right of the page - larger icons than those on top. If you "drag" a Text widget onto your page it opens an areas where you can type text and use Yola's (very good) text editing that works similar to MS Word and others.
The HTML widget can be dragged in the same way, but you don't have the editing functions - you have to write them yourself in HTML or Javascript etc.
Or you can create an HTML document in your computer (or COPY one) and paste it into the HTML widget area.
Photo of Sanja

Sanja, Official Rep

• 10698 Posts
  • 495 Reply Likes
Hi aciscon,

Just to clarify further, you cannot edit the site's HTML at all. You will need to use the HTML Widget to alter this. Perhaps can you share what exactly you're wanting to do or are you still trying to make the anchor links work?

I doff my hat off to you for being over 80 and wanting to challenge yourself!
Photo of aciscon

aciscon

• 6 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Thank you, Philip.
I found the small HTML button and opened the HTML version.
I found that the the instruction for accepting the jump had got lost.
So I added it and it now works.
As a result i feel 20 again!
(But not for long, I fear).
Photo of aciscon

aciscon

• 6 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
And thank you, too, Sanja.
Photo of Sanja

Sanja, Official Rep

• 10698 Posts
  • 495 Reply Likes
I'm glad to hear that your youthfulness has returned :)