Site rippers and how I can stop them???

• Question
  • Updated 9 years ago
  • Answered
I'm having a site ripper come from
Beckville, Texas, United States
Wildblue Communications,
Browser: Rippers.

It seems to have only hit my synthesite webpage and not my domain. (www.honeybearplayhomes.com)
(http://honeybearplayhomes.synthasite....)

Any input would be greatly appreciated. How bad of a thing is this to happen?

the pages the looked at were...

Session [1535156894829] Date Time
Unknown
Unknown
August 24, 2008 01:45:24 AM

Session [0487781604883] Date Time
Unknown
Unknown
August 23, 2008 12:58:44 PM

Session [4199284417484] Date Time
Unknown
Unknown
August 23, 2008 09:37:52 AM

Session [2166827307437] Date Time
Unknown
Unknown
August 23, 2008 08:06:51 AM

Session [4100202904164] Date Time
Unknown
Unknown
August 23, 2008 06:33:13 AM

Session [1219497956160] Date Time
Unknown
http://www.honeybearplayhomes.synthas...
August 23, 2008 06:32:16 AM
Unknown
August 23, 2008 06:31:04 AM
Unknown
August 23, 2008 06:27:05 AM
Unknown
Referral: http://seattle.craigslist.org/est/hss...
August 23, 2008 06:25:55 AM

Session [1986786497775] Date Time
Unknown
Unknown
August 23, 2008 06:29:12 AM

Thanks so much

Ed
Photo of Ed-a-Torials @ Honey Bear Playhomes

Ed-a-Torials @ Honey Bear Playhomes, Champion

• 2582 Posts
  • 279 Reply Likes
  • possibly upset and a little frustrated...

Posted 11 years ago

Photo of rolteje

rolteje

• 5 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Monique,

like stated previously please delete all posts after my first as even the terrorist type post was kinda out there. But either way please delete all after my first post as you'll see me no longer trying to help here.
And to Ed I don't know your background or anyone else's and like Monique stated it wasn't my intent for doing wrong. As I read someone was attempting to see ways of countering this issue and nothing was posted of possibility I would have thought me posting that would have indicated an option to safety of others. Like Monique stated that its vulnerable to anyone so it's not like I released a program for malicious acts but just refering to something every viewer is capable of.

That's just my last statement but Monique please delete all posts after mine as this be my last no matter if a reply is held.

pce!

rolteje8624
Photo of Monique

Monique, VP of Customer Support

• 6294 Posts
  • 446 Reply Likes
I can't delete the posts myself, but I have requested the Get Satisfaction community manager to do so. As we have seen this is a sensitive issue and I know our intention in this community is to help and support each other, so I thank all of you for trying to move the conversation forward in this spirit and keep the peace.

• 2582 Posts
  • 279 Reply Likes
You know I had wished after reading your first post to make a point to those out there that this is a very serious matter and as you happened to be the one who made the knowledge public in this post any distress on my part in my postings after was to show you how one simple thing can snowball and turn into something that was not your intent.

Do not feel you need to leave the posts as I wish you all the best in your website building now and in the future. If you see something on my site that you wonder how I did it then ask. If you have a question about how something is done there is always a great group of people here.

Please stay and share your site and yourself and things you learned to benefit others.

ED
Photo of Monique

Monique, VP of Customer Support

• 6294 Posts
  • 446 Reply Likes
I second that. I think it would be a great pity if you were to leave our community over this. I know we all care passionately about our creative work but let's call it "no harm intended" and leave it at that ;-)
Photo of rolteje

rolteje

• 5 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I'm sorry to say but as you realize my intent wasn't malicious, but as I stated after today I will no longer post even after that comparison to a terrorist which was overboard as well. You having my IP like I said I personally don't care even if you handed it out to everyone as I have nothing that people would steal nor want. Heck I'd hand you my computer if you'd like. But look whether you thought one way or another you had bad things happen to you lately and yes I do read even before my first post. And no I personally don't care what your past or what you've done. It's not my position to learn who's who here as my main goal is to build a site using what I can which really is a lot compared to other sites. But I kept reading this issue and others so decided to post, but it got escalated for no reason.

What I posted was not only did I learn by myself but was taught in my computer class both in high school and college so whether you thought of it before and didn't want to state it most users already knew this especially since it's a simple way to learn html code and how it's used. Again like my other post states... If I really had bad intentions I would have released a program to maliciously steal all your sites and what not. But did I nah I'm not that type of guy and dont have the time or willing to put effort at this point. One's website is either good, bad, or worse then another but will never and shall never be exactly the same nor created for the same idea. So even if I asked you how you did something chances are it won't look the same cause it takes time to be "EXACTLY" the same.

Again I feel as this was pointless and overboard so it's not worth my time here to even attempt to post or reading anything anymore but the tutorials which I am already so if you all have nothing more to say of what happened right now then please drop it as it's already non-existent and shouldn't have been an issue in the first place if you think about it and I mean seriously think about it. But I guess even those few seconds between clicking that reply that didn't come in mind. But I give you credit for going so far in 5 minutes of acquiring all my info for no reason. Also, sorry for your previous loss as I read in a previous thread. I hope none of that was tooken out here but if I was your punching bag for the moment then I'm glad some of your stress was released.

But yea that terrorist thing on the side and automatically dropping me down from being viewed as a member to non-existent was the best part of it all and with that I take no part in these forums anymore if that's how one is treated.

pce!

rolteje
Photo of Claire Quilty

Claire Quilty

• 57 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Hello, everyone. I was watching the thread and thought I would weigh in with my own two cents.

I know that it can feel a little scary to think that someone might steal all of your hard work. Keep in mind that HTML is just plain old text. It can be copied and pasted. As Monique pointed out, the nature of publishing content online is that it's always possible for someone to take what you've done and reproduce it somewhere else in some form or fashion. As someone who has done some simple Web site creation myself, I know that many of those site-ripping tools actually have legitimate uses by Web designers. True, there are people who might use them to copy your site, but you can usually stop them quite quickly, as SanRamon pointed out from that excellent link.

It sounds like everyone has worked through their anger here, and I hope that no one has ill feelings toward rolteje. I think he was just trying to point out that there are legitimate reasons people copy HTML code; that it is common knowledge to many computer science-oriented folks; and that the Web is also a little different than other forms of publishing.

I hope you'll still stick around, rolteje.
Photo of Boomer

Boomer, Champion

• 2055 Posts
  • 84 Reply Likes
Relax rolteje,

A good detective has to think like a crook.
I don't think you meant any malice.

• 2582 Posts
  • 279 Reply Likes
sorry that you choose not to post in the future and if you are so knowledgeable you could have been a great deal of help to others and for that they are at a loss.

As to the terrorist thing... if you look back that post was not from me and I did not then or now think that so I cannot answer for that of which I had nothing to do with.

Which previous loss??? I am hunky dorry and chipper good. I have no ill will towards you or anyone else. I am merely havin a good time with my site and hey here is a great site for you to use for a free website analytical. It is the one I checked after your first post and within that minute saw you had been there and copied away and I'll show you what I saw there below which was worrying to me... It plainly showed that you had clicked on some buttons within the copied site and that you had stated that you hadn't saved it but this says that you had pressed update (and that saves it at least for a little while until you delete) You see all the information connected to my buttons still refer to my pages and well thats why I was so upset and yes with every right...

All is good with me and I am coolio....

eWebcounter provides free web statistics for small and medium size businesses and non-profit organizations. With eWebcounter's web statistics you get:

* A 100% free web counter that be can installed on virtually any website
* A wide assortment of invisible and graphical web counter styles to choose from
* A password protected account to view your detailed web statistics
* We provide a hosted solution, so there's no software for you to install and to maintain
* offers 24x7 real-time statistics. Access your web statistics from any place, at any time.
* Over 20+ web statistical reports with detailed logs and charts
* Monitor who's on your website with real-time streaming data
* Track page views, unique visitors, visitor paths, referrals, search engine keywords, etc.
* Get statistical reports emailed to you

http://www.ewebcounter.com/
Photo of Guido Graphics

Guido Graphics

• 558 Posts
  • 41 Reply Likes
For the record... My comment was related to the "news Idiots" releasing information that could be used with ill intent by others looking to do so, just for the sake of having something to report, giving no thought as to how that information could be used.

I did NOT imply that you were a terrorist, what you did was more along the lines of the irresponsible news reporter.

I also ended the post in a joking manner... Lighten up.
Photo of Green Girl

Green Girl

• 531 Posts
  • 12 Reply Likes
Guys, I wasn't here for 2 days. And this thread has BOOMED!!
Hey Rolteje.. I understand what you did was just for testing purpose (i might have done the same if i had some free time!!) But the only problem is, you should have done the testing part on your own site or you should have done it with a permission.
Ed is the coolest guy around and one of the most helpful member. I can understand his feelings as well. I know how insecure one becomes if one has to spend hours and days to make such a beautiful site!
I hope we see Rolteje and Ed both helping out other members here.
And yeah Rolteje, i dont really think Guido wanted to hurt you. I hope you take this discussion in good spirits and stick around
Photo of Boomer

Boomer, Champion

• 2055 Posts
  • 84 Reply Likes
Nicely summed up Monica !
Photo of Guido Graphics

Guido Graphics

• 558 Posts
  • 41 Reply Likes
Yall should go look at the coolness I just found...

http://www.copyscape.com/
Photo of http://www.lifeingeneral.synthasite.com

http://www.lifeingeneral.synthasite.com

• 271 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Thanks for passing the link on, Guido. It's uber cool, hey. And even though not all of my pages require it, I think I'll whack it on each page anyhow. Sorry you had to endure such stress, Ed. There's nothing worse than having another person trying to use their smarts by copying another person's work. It's just rude. As well as lazy.
Photo of http://www.lifeingeneral.synthasite.com

http://www.lifeingeneral.synthasite.com

• 271 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
I've been using Google Analytics though have just installed ewebcounter as I think it's a lot more detailed than GA. Thanks for the heads up with the link, Ed.
Photo of Guido Graphics

Guido Graphics

• 558 Posts
  • 41 Reply Likes
Wildblue is at it again. They hit L.i.G. 8 times.

Isn't there any way to stop these S#@t Heads?
okay there may be one way to stop these ppl i think theirs a ip ban widget somewhere on the widget box maybe if you can implement that to your site and put there ip in it? if it work should stop your page from loading up for that ip meaning no content to rip
did the ip block work can any one tell for me this so i know?
Photo of Robotdude

Robotdude

• 40 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I was wondering can you do this with synthasite

You can deny access to your site fairly easily by adding a command to
the existing .htaccess file (if you have one there already), or by
creating an .htaccess file and uploading it to the public_html or www
directory of your site.

The name of that file is .htaccess (dot htaccess - no spaces).

The lines you will add are as follow ... with each line as listed as a
separ

The 0's above represent the IP address(es) you wish to deny access to.

If you want to add more access denials, you put them each on their own line:
ate line in the file.

order allow,Deny
Deny from 000.000.000.0
allow from all

Deny from 123.456.789.0

You can then upload the files via FTP to your server.

If you use front page extensions or an IIS or Wndows server, upload
the .htaccess file. Windows may rename the file .htaccess.txt, and
once it is uploaded via Front Page, you merely need to change the name
of that file to plain .htaccess (without any extensions such as .txt,
.htm or such)

Search terms used ~
===================

deny access
deny IP access
front page + .htaccess

This should take care of denying access to an individual IP address.

Regards,

~ Serenata
Google Answers Researcher
Photo of Brad

Brad

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
It's best to not waste time thinking about stuff like this. People steal content constantly online. Have you ever copied an image from a site? A lot of people do. For some weird reason, people seem to think that everything on the Internet is free and theirs for the taking. It seldom crosses a person's mind that website graphic they just stole actually cost the website owner $350 when they hired an artist to create it for their site.

Anyway, people steal your web page content. They steal your graphics. They even steal / clone entire sites. There is no way of stopping this unless people suddenly develop ethics and integrity.