sitemap error 404

• Problem
  • Updated 9 years ago
  • Acknowledged
I have been trying to submit a sitemap for google and i keep getting http error 404 not fpund and they said they encountered an error trying to access my sitemap here I am copying and pasting in what google found wrong with my map here is what google said General HTTP error: 404 not found
We encountered an error while trying to access your Sitemap. Please ensure your Sitemap follows our guidelines and can be accessed at the location you provided and then resubmit. HTTP Error:
Problem detected on: 404 (Not found) Help
Oct 24, 2008
Photo of water4gas2u

water4gas2u

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
  • frustrated

Posted 10 years ago

Photo of Monique

Monique, VP of Customer Support

• 6294 Posts
  • 446 Reply Likes
Hi water4gas2u

Can you tell me what method you are using to generate a sitemap. SynthaSite does this for you and you only need to submit the URL of your published site followed by /sitemap.xml to Google.

For detailed, step by step instructions, see http://www.synthasite.com/tutorials/g...

If you have already done this and it is still not working, please tell us what the URL of your site is so that we can check it out.
Photo of marie

marie

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I have followed SynthaSite instructions to submit a sitemap to google, I am receiving- HTTP error: 404 not found.
I have done it all correctly
Help!
Photo of Monique

• 6294 Posts
  • 446 Reply Likes
Hi marie,
I am sorry that you are having this problem. Please can you post the URL (web address) of your site so that I can check it out?
Photo of marie

marie

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Hi, my URL is
http://www.funkybodies.co.uk/

thanks
marie
Photo of Monique

• 6294 Posts
  • 446 Reply Likes
Thanks for the link. I also get a 404 error when I try to look up your sitemap. Are you hosting your site with SynthaSite? If not this could explain the problem.
Photo of marie

marie

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I use www.1and1.co.uk for our web hosting
Thanks
Marie
Photo of Monique

• 6294 Posts
  • 446 Reply Likes
Unfortunately if your site is not hosted by us we can't help you with your sitemap as this is generated when you publish to our servers. The best solution would be to host your site with SynthaSite and point your domain to your site. It is free of charge, you can update your site easily any time you wish and we generate a sitemap for you. If you want to host your site elsewhere you will need to create your own sitemap. Let me know which option you would like to pursue and I will send you instructions based on your choice. I realize now that this is something we should have mentioned in our tutorial - sorry for not thinking of it!
Photo of Simon

Simon

• 7 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
General HTTP error: 404 not found - Hi Moniue, Im fairly confident 90% I have followed the instructions correctly too wondering if you could please have a quick look at my sitemap http://courierdelivery.com.au/sitemap...

Many thanks
Photo of Sanja

Sanja, Official Rep

• 10698 Posts
  • 495 Reply Likes
Hello Simon

Monique is currently offline right now but I have passed along an email to her letting her know that you would like her assistance. She will respond to you once she's back online. Thank you for your patience in the meantime.
Photo of Simon

Simon

• 7 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Many thanks - just want to look bad in the eyes of google , Love the yola teams work , Simon
Photo of Monique

• 6294 Posts
  • 446 Reply Likes
Hi Simon. When I go to the URL of your sitemap I don't get a 404 error. The sitemap XML file displays exactly as expected. Could you please copy and paste the exact error message you are getting from Google and either post it here or email it to support@yola.com so we can investigate further. As everything seems to be in working order from our end we might also have to refer you to the Google forum for support, but first I would like to take a look and see if there is anything obvious I can spot.
Photo of Simon

Simon

• 7 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
ok here goes,, btw really appreciate your help
General HTTP error: 404 not found
Problem detected on: Feb 15, 2010 ( first time submitted )

We encountered an error while trying to access your Sitemap. Please ensure your Sitemap follows our guidelines and can be accessed at the location you provided and then resubmit
Photo of Monique

• 6294 Posts
  • 446 Reply Likes
Thanks for that. And you definitely used this URL?: http://courierdelivery.com.au/sitemap... If there really was a problem with the sitemap we would get a 404 error when going directly to the URL. However it comes up for me and I asked a few others to check and it is fine for them as well. This could be a GWT glitch. If it were me I would just wait until the next time they crawl your site and see if the error persists. If you are really concerned, you could post your question here: http://www.google.com/support/webmast.... The most important thing to note is that any information or errors provided by GWT are for information purposes only and do not affect your PageRank in any way. So you don't need to be concerned that the error will affect your SEO. You just need to make sure that everything on your site is in good working order, and it certainly seems to be as far as I can tell!
Photo of Simon

Simon

• 7 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Ahh many thanks , Yes definitely http://courierdelivery.com.au/sitemap... after I discovered the sitemap submit tutorial I was so excited that yola created for me as I really wanted to submit one in GWT. Im trying to be a good webmaster and have all the ducks in a row. Thanks yola team for your kind advice and support Simon
Photo of Monique

• 6294 Posts
  • 446 Reply Likes
We are happy to help. It sounds like you are doing a great job on your site! Please let us know if the error persists. We will also keep an eye out for any other users experiencing similar problems.
Photo of Simon

Simon

• 7 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Still having the same challenge in WMT General HTTP error: 404 not found
We encountered an error while trying to access your Sitemap. Please ensure your Sitemap follows our guidelines and can be accessed at the location you provided and then resubmit.
Photo of Keara

Keara

• 325 Posts
  • 14 Reply Likes
Simon, I'm sorry that I'm not able to help you with the Google problem, but I did want to say what a great-looking site you have. Really nice, clean design. Should be a real asset to your business. You did all that just with Yola??
Photo of Emmy

Emmy

• 5892 Posts
  • 299 Reply Likes
Hi Simon,
I'm sorry you are having this trouble. Can you please tell me if you verified your site with Google Webmaster using the www version or the non www version. Because you have a .com.au domain name, you would have needed to verify it using the non www version as this is your canonical. I am thinking that you might be receiving this sitemap error if you verified it using the www. That could also not be the case, but I would like to cover that first.

Emmy
Photo of Simon

Simon

• 7 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Hi Keara, Im a huge fan of Yola ( im on it every day ) From someone that knew nothing about websites 1.5 years ago Yola is helping me to start my business. My margins are small so without yola's support I would had had no chance Thank you yola. The design is a purchase "corprate blue" and I purchased a few vectors for the banner and pictures. Thank you for your kind words ...I needed them up and down days when you work for yourself :)
Photo of Keara

Keara

• 325 Posts
  • 14 Reply Likes
Simon, thanks for your reply. Also for your tips. Looking further at your site, would it be helpful if you could add some "references," from satisfied customers, for example? Also, is there any way that you could tell people why they should book through your site rather than directly with the carrier? (Just thinking out loud, perhaps without making much sense.)
Photo of Simon

Simon

• 7 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Hi Emmy, Just checked wmt and the site is verified under a non www . I route my sites through editdns to point my sites at yola do you think that this may upset anything? Really appreciate your help
Photo of Sanja

Sanja, Official Rep

• 10698 Posts
  • 495 Reply Likes
Hi Simon

Emmy is currently offline. I have passed along an email to her letting her know that you have some questions. She will be glad to respond to you once she returns online. I apologize for the delay in the meantime and thank you for your patience.
Photo of Emmy

Emmy

• 5892 Posts
  • 299 Reply Likes
Hello Simon,
Ok, if you have verified your site with Google Webmaster tools using the non www version, I am unsure of why you are receiving these errors. Are you able to give me a screen shot of these errors and let me know if there are specific pages of your site having a problem. I'm sorry I am not able to fix this up for you immediately, I just want to better understand what you are seeing.

Thanks,
Emmy