Sitemap Warning Message from Google Webmaster and robot.txt not found (404).

• Question
  • Updated 9 years ago
I recieved a warning message from google webmaster which is stated below:

All the URLs in your Sitemap have the same priority.
All the URLs in your Sitemap are set to the same priority (not the default priority). Priority indicates the importance of a particular URL relative to other URLs on your site, and doesn't impact your site's performance in search results. If all URLs have the same priority, Google can't tell which are more important. Problem detected on: Oct 30, 2008

I have investigated a little bit about this issue and the problem is that when synthasite makes the sitemap.xml, all priorities are set 1.0 for all the pages in the website. Priorities have to be different so that google can indicate the importance of each page in the website. Please let me know how can we fix this issue.

Another issue that I ́m facing is with the robots.txt URL. I recieve a message from google that the page was not found (404). This is because google goes after the url: http://mysite.synthasite.com/robots.txt and here in synthasite we cannot make this url or file. Please help.

Thanks,

Paul
Photo of paulbakk

paulbakk

• 4 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
  • anxious

Posted 11 years ago

Photo of Monique

Monique, VP of Customer Support

• 6294 Posts
  • 446 Reply Likes
I am aware of the sitemap warning issue and have asked our developers to look into it.

Can you explain what your concern is with the robots.txt 404? Are there any pages you do not want Google to index on your site? If not you do not need a robots.txt file.
Photo of paulbakk

paulbakk

• 4 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Hi Monique,

Thanks for your rapid reply. I ́ll be waiting for the answer from your developers concerning the sitemap warning.

Yes, there are some pages at my sites that I would not want Google to index.

Thanks,

Paul
Photo of Chris

Chris

• 82 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Official Response
Hi Paul - I noticed your question and thought I'd jump in to add a bit of additional information here.

When we create your sitemap each time you publish, the page priority is set based on where it is in your site hierarchy. All of the pages linked in your main menu are set with a default priority, and any "subpages" which aren't included in the main navigation are given a slightly lower priority. For more information on creating subpages, please see our tutorial at http://www.synthasite.com/tutorials/c... .

The page priorities are meant to give search engines like Google a nudge in the right direction, but are only a small portion of how they see your pages. It's common practice to only assign one or two priorities in a sitemap, which is why we've set up the process as I described above and not included a way to modify it. I'll explore the ability to change this in the future.

We're also working on the ability for users such as yourself to create a robots.txt file, but don't have that ability at this time. I apologize for the warning you're seeing in Google, but please rest assured that it's just a notification and won't cause any sort of penalty for your site.

In general, the metrics I suggest looking at in Google's Webmaster Tools interface are the crawl statistics to see how long it's been since Google's crawled your pages and how many pages it's found.

I hope this helps explain things a bit further. Keep the questions and feedback coming - we use questions like this to help prioritize the features we add!

Best,
Chris
Photo of Boomer

Boomer, Champion

• 2055 Posts
  • 84 Reply Likes
Do I need to delete the sitemap.xml file in my resources file
now that SynthaSite submits the sitemaps on our behalf?

Just went to check with Google Webmaster and my site is
no longer verified?? I used to have a few green ticks there before
and now they are all gone?
Photo of Chris

Chris

• 82 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Hey Boomer - We don't (yet!) submit the sitemap file for you; this still has to be done manually through Google Webmaster Tools (WMT) although we are working on an automated solution.

If I understand you correctly, your site was verified with WMT, but it is no longer. In my experience, this should only happen if you've moved your site or removed the verification meta tag. Google checks periodically to make sure you still own the site.

Can you confirm that the site hasn't moved and that the verification meta tag is still on your site? If so, please either post or send us the error message Google displays.

[As a reminder to all, the process for submitting your sitemap to Google Webmaster Tools can be found at http://www.synthasite.com/tutorials/g...]

Cheers,
Chris
Photo of Monique

Monique, VP of Customer Support

• 6294 Posts
  • 446 Reply Likes
Hi Boomer
This is a great question! I wasn't sure how Google would treat sites that already had submitted sitemaps prior to our release of this feature. I am not sure if the status of your site has anything to do with this, but you could easily delete the sitemap from your file manager and submit a sitemap URL instead. See for detailed instructions: http://www.synthasite.com/tutorials/g...
Photo of Boomer

Boomer, Champion

• 2055 Posts
  • 84 Reply Likes
Ok this is weird, give me a few minutes to figure out whats going on.
Photo of Chris

Chris

• 82 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Hi Boomer - I just took a quick look at your site; it does have the Google Webmaster Tools verification tag in it. It still seems like either (1) the code you put in here got modified by accident recently, or (2) Google's having a hiccup today.

If you verify that the verification code is the same in your Webmaster Tools account as it is in the properties tab of your website, then I would just hang tight until the GoogleBot visits again. You're still showing up in the Google index, and Webmaster Tools is rather finicky in my experience.

Good luck!
Photo of Boomer

Boomer, Champion

• 2055 Posts
  • 84 Reply Likes
Ok here's what I see so far:
Website Grader tell's me:
Last Google Crawl Date: October 30, 2008 @ 12:54 PM

WMT gives me this:

And then this on the second page:

I've recently added 10 new pages to my site but haven't touched the other pages.
I've been meaning to re-submit a site map to include the new pages but haven't
got that far yet. Is it possible that GoogleBot has seen the new pages and this
does not corespond to the "old" sitemap?
I'll give it another day to see if this is just a temporary glitch.

I would also like to re-submit a new sitemap but would also like to know if by doing
this I'm going to confuse the whole issue. i.e. What do you guy's submit?

Anyway as GG once said:
Step away from the robot !!
Photo of Chris

Chris

• 82 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Hey Boomer - your sitemap can be found at yoursite.synthasite.com/sitemap.xml. We update it when you publish, so I suggest just giving Google the URL of that as you won't have to worry about updating it when you update.

Regarding the verification, I suggest confirming that the meta information is still correct and give Google a little while to catch up. If you're still having issues, you can post your question to the Webmaster Google Group and see if others are running into the same issues.

Good luck!

(Paul, sorry we hijacked your thread - I hope this answered your questions)
Photo of Boomer

Boomer, Champion

• 2055 Posts
  • 84 Reply Likes
Cool, thanks a lot Chris.... I understand what you guys are doing now.
I will have to change that tutorial I have here.
http://forsite.synthasite.com/tut-sit...
Thanks for clearing that up.
Photo of France Krazalkovich

France Krazalkovich

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
I have constantly changing content, but Google has not indexed my site in two weeks?