Suddenly getting a 404 error with no changes having been made

• Question
  • Updated 9 years ago
  • Answered
Hi there,
Curious as I am not sure when this may have changed, my website was still working a few days ago and I have not changed it in the last few months.
Yesterday trying to get to it via my registered domain ( http://www.cmac.net.nz/ ) I get the 404 error.
I checked my domain account and changed it to point to 208.75.208.172 this morning so I guess if that was the problem it could take a few more hours to update.
Unfortunately I did not record the ip it was pointed to before changing it but when would it have changed?
Thanks - Mark
(http://cmac.synthasite.com )
Photo of Mark

Mark

• 16 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
  • confused

Posted 9 years ago

Photo of Techjar

Techjar

• 122 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
If the IP you put in is supposed to be the IP of the domain itself, then it should be 202.174.112.209. That is the IP address of the domain www.cmac.net.nz
Photo of Mark

Mark

• 16 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I just checked again and the changes are back to :

Host records

cmac.net.nz IPv4A 202.174.112.209
www.cmac.net.nz IPv4A 202.174.112.209
mail record (MX)
secondary MX

I changed it this morning to 208.75.208.172 as per the info on the Yola site.

I am total confused - what should I be putting in there?
Photo of Marije

Marije, Official Rep

• 4636 Posts
  • 237 Reply Likes
Hi Mark,

You have the wrong IP address for your A Records. Yola's address is 208.75.208.172 and if you can change both instances to that address, it should work.

You can find the steps to pointing your domain to Yola on this link: http://www.yola.com/customer-support/...
Photo of Mark

Mark

• 16 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Thanks thats what I thought, but when I change it and check later it has been changed back again....
I have contacted the domain service to find out what is happening.

Mark
Photo of Marije

Marije, Official Rep

• 4636 Posts
  • 237 Reply Likes
Hi Mark - that would be the best thing to do - I hope they're able to help you :)
Photo of Techjar

Techjar

• 122 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
Sorry you are having this issue. I wish I could help, but I've done all I can. Oh well.
Photo of Techjar

Techjar

• 122 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
It seems that it may be working now... I get this when I visit your www.cmac.net.nz domain:
Photo of Mark

Mark

• 16 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Well, not quite, this is my site that should come up - been there for at least a year now...
http://cmac.synthasite.com/

What should I be doing and why/how did this all change and stop working ?

Mark
Photo of UK Duke

UK Duke, Champion

• 3321 Posts
  • 213 Reply Likes
have you followed the steps on the screen? - there are 5 steps you need to follow to publish to your own domain.
Photo of Mark

Mark

• 16 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
My domain has been in use for a good few years now and my site has been working fully on synthasite for at least a year now - what do I suddenly need to publish again now for?
I do not even get any of the options showing up on the screen above either.
Photo of UK Duke

UK Duke, Champion

• 3321 Posts
  • 213 Reply Likes
your site is published to the subdomain not the domain.
If for some reason your not getting the above options - clcik the little arrow next to 'update my site' then go to publish settings - you can do it from there.
Photo of Mark

Mark

• 16 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Hmm ok.
I had to add in my cmac.net.nz domain again as it was not there....
After updating it is back up again and working.
This is all very strange - somehow it got broke after a year of no problems.

At least it is back online via my own domain again so hopefuly no more issues.

Thanks for all the advice guys.

Mark
Photo of Techjar

Techjar

• 122 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
The www.cmac.net.nz domain is redirecting to the SynthaSite/Yola domain. I'm not an expert, but it could be the domain.info file Yola uses. Not much I can do, try contacting Yola. Unless this is what you intended... but I'm sure it's not.
Photo of Mark

Mark

• 16 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
You are right - want it to cloak the synthasite url but hey it works so what the hell.
I heard back from Domain service - they had a DOS attack the weekend and their forwarding/redirction services are down so that was most likely the problem. They working to restore it all so I will just wait a day or two till things settle down.

Mark
Photo of Techjar

Techjar

• 122 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
OK, well I sure hope it gets fixed. Nice site by the way. ;)
Photo of Mark

Mark

• 16 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Thanx :)
Photo of Techjar

Techjar

• 122 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
I'm pretty sure the issue is the domain.info file. This file is used by Yola to redirect to the domain inside it, and on your site, it's contents are "CMAC.synthasite.com". However, on your www.cmac.net.nz domain, the file has the same content so, likewise, it's going to redirect to the cmac.synthasite.com domain. You should probably contact Yola about this issue.