Text Editor Solution and Status Update

• Announcement
  • Updated 6 years ago
After careful evaluation and consideration of all of your unresolved concerns we have decided to move forward with your request to revert to our original text editor.

It has become clear that while we still believe whole heartedly that the new Text Editor and Style Designer is the way forward for our Sitebuilder we need to create a better migration plan for our most valuable users with extensive history and content.

This is not a small undertaking and we are testing many scenarios to ensure no further harm comes to your website content so we need some time to work on this and ensure that it is done safely. If you have concerns about your sites please hold off on editing them for the time being and we will update this space as soon as we have implemented the roll back.

We deeply regret the loss in productivity we have caused you in the last day and a half and will work tirelessly to earn your trust back as we balance the needs of our existing customers with the needs of moving our product into the future.
Photo of Laura Thomas

Laura Thomas, Social Media Coordinator

• 4536 Posts
  • 211 Reply Likes

Posted 6 years ago

Photo of Free Hot Samples

Free Hot Samples

• 22 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Thank you! It was a horrible couple days. Monday I made changes to correct spacing on my site, after hours I finally had it looking right. Then I wake up on Tuesday and the spacing is wonky again! I had to the same thing all over again....it took hours. Two days of lost time.
Photo of Jessica

Jessica

• 29 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
The new one had an Indent Less and the sizes were in numbers. Can the old one have these, because they were several of the things I liked about the new one........ESPECIALLY the "Indent Less"
Photo of Laura Thomas

• 4536 Posts
  • 211 Reply Likes
Hi Jessica,

Nice to hear the new widget wasn't all bad for you! We will be working on a plan to roll out the features included in the text editor we reverted but based on this, we can't estimate when that will be. We do not have any plans to make changes to this widget at this time, it's more likely we'll make an opt-in version of the widget we rolled back, but this is all still in the planning phases.
Photo of a1web UK

a1web UK

• 174 Posts
  • 24 Reply Likes
It was not so much the options at fault, because there were some good ideas added, but the way it was shoved at us without warning or fully working was the worst idea of all. . I like the idea of the colour wheel but it needs to have the standard old option still with it or many will find it hard to chose exact same colour when required. Yes I know about colour codes, but a great deal wont and its those that have to be considered too. Future options need to be added very carefully after being tested by us the users away from main sitebuilder area and not a bunch of them at once.
Photo of Chris Hall

Chris Hall

• 58 Posts
  • 10 Reply Likes
Agreed re the colour wheel. Nice option to add on, but for my site I use only 5 different colours for my fonts across the entire site, so I'd prefer to also have the standard palette for absolute ease of use.

If the standard palette was removed again then I'd always need to have my five different colour codes saved into a notepad, which I would have to keep open when editing my site so that I could copy and paste the colour codes from it.

To me this isn't an improvement...this is a serious step backwards (hence the term downgrade). And something I would have thought most site developers would have realised...especially if they had done 'extensive testing' with real customers who use the software.
Photo of condo58

condo58

• 130 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes
I agree with you about keeping the standard palette in addition to the color wheel. It is quite a nuisance without it. Not only that, but there was a bug in the feature that did not allow, when editing, for the text color to "take".
Photo of Jessica

Jessica

• 29 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
I agree, the color wheel should also be added back, but in ADDITION to the standard one. with the wheel you can have a whole lot more colors, but with the standard palette you can find ones you've used before easily. Both are good.
Photo of John Yeoman

John Yeoman

• 35 Posts
  • 10 Reply Likes
Oh Jessica, please don't tempt the techies to wreck everything again! Just let's be content that we have our old user-friendly functional system back again, warts and all :)
Photo of Jessica

Jessica

• 29 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
I am, but the "old" editor needs some additions still. I never understood why there's an Indent More but not an Indent LESS.
Photo of Monique

Monique, VP of Customer Support

• 6294 Posts
  • 446 Reply Likes
It is not feasible for us to make developments on top of the old text editor due to the outdated technology it relies on, which is precisely why we wanted to bring it up to date so that we could add new features. I explained this in my other post, so for as long as the old text editor is in use it will remain unchanged as per John's wishes :)
Photo of condo58

condo58

• 130 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes
Perhaps you can retain the option of using both the simple old text editor along with the new one you are rolling out. That way people can choose to use the one that best suits their needs. For example, I run a forum on Lefora, which offers users the choice of 4 different text editors to use in their posts.
Photo of David Byers

David Byers

• 8 Posts
  • 7 Reply Likes
No. Sorry, In the light of the previous messages I decided to check back into the one site which I'd opened a couple of days ago. Much to my disappointment it has retained the double-spacing. So everything has not been returned to where it had been before Black Monday. I came out of the site before even looking to see if the Text Editor had been changed.

Yes please, I look forward to an email from Yola telling me that things really are back to normal. When will that be so?
Photo of Laura Thomas

• 4536 Posts
  • 211 Reply Likes
Hi David,

This rollback release will not change any text. It only restores the old widget. If there was text changed by the new widget, it will still be changed now, but you'll have the original tool with which to revert it to your liking. If you need assistance with any unwanted changes to your formatting please submit a request so that we can follow up with you directly.
Photo of Melynda von Wayward

Melynda von Wayward

• 15 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
It means you have to sit there for hours changing your website back to the way it was before manually - there is no quick fix to this problem!

Melynda von Wayward

• 15 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I wonder how many websites are actually ruined because of this one so called upgrade...
Photo of Monique

• 6294 Posts
  • 446 Reply Likes
Or you can contact support as Laura suggested and we can assist.
Photo of Chris Hall

Chris Hall

• 58 Posts
  • 10 Reply Likes
I can confirm that the 400+ pages across my entire website are still messed up thanks to the Style Developer. I really hope the Yola site developers have a way to correct this - as I seem unable to manually correct this myself.

Here's hoping...
Photo of Laura Thomas

• 4536 Posts
  • 211 Reply Likes
Hi Chris,

We're sorry to hear that. If you made changes via the Style Designer that may not be related to the Text Editor but we would like to help you solve any remaining problems. I believe you have a number of direct email threads open. Please follow up with us direct so we can work on a solution for you.
Photo of Chris Hall

Chris Hall

• 58 Posts
  • 10 Reply Likes
Hi Laura - thanks for the message. I had already emailed Monique back regarding this, however just incase, I've also sent a request for help in sorting out the mess the Style Developer has made with my text, via the 'Contact Us' page that you linked above.

Would you or Monique be able to liaise with whoever picks up this request to ensure that whoever looks into it knows what needs doing please? I'm very apprehensive about people making changes to my site on my behalf - especially after seeing what damage can be caused so easily with the new Style Developer. Thank you - your help is very much appreciated.
Photo of Monique

• 6294 Posts
  • 446 Reply Likes
Followed up via email - thanks Chris!
Photo of Chris Hall

Chris Hall

• 58 Posts
  • 10 Reply Likes
Monique - I've replied via email - but just wanted to also confirm in the public forum that you have completely fixed all of the font issues caused by the Style Developer. I am once again 100% happy with Yola and can now safely work on my site without fear of further corruption.

Please don't let the site developers mess with our websites again!

Thank you.

Chris
Photo of a1web UK

a1web UK

• 174 Posts
  • 24 Reply Likes
Monique: So how were the 400 + fixed so easily ?? Let us all in on the way back instead of having us search for the spot marked "X" and hope for the best.
Photo of Chris Hall

Chris Hall

• 58 Posts
  • 10 Reply Likes
I believe now that the rollback has traken place, if you merely disable the Style Developer, all of your website's fonts will revert back to what they were like before the changes took place. This is all that Monique did as far as I'm aware - and I can confirm that it worked perfectly (all the text including linked text is now once again at the same size or as it was). I've got a little playing around with some line spacing to do because I had tried to manually correct some of the stuff that had changed a couple of days ago - but that's all.

I am a very happy man!
Photo of condo58

condo58

• 130 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes
Thank you, thank you , thank you, for the roll back. I can once again edit my site with ease. Life is good again.
Photo of a1web UK

a1web UK

• 174 Posts
  • 24 Reply Likes
I'll be expecting yola to roll out some good discounts and offers to present members after this by way of a physical apology to those of us that have lost money due to thier mistake, not ours.
Photo of guitarerivesud

guitarerivesud

• 5 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
What happen?!? I'm also stuck with LOTS of mistakes..... I cannot use tiny text for links (and all my old links have been changed!!!)

Really.... These mistakes makes me want to learn more about Wordpress...... after 5 years with you guys.... I see why you only focus on "newbies"......
Photo of Stefan

Stefan, Official Rep

• 4448 Posts
  • 190 Reply Likes
Hello guitarerivesud

I'm sorry to hear about the formatting issues you're experiencin and that your old links apparently changed because of the release of the new Text Widget. However, we've rolled back to the old Text Widget, so things should work as they used to.

I've checked making tiny text a link in my own Yola account, and it worked fine. I'll be happy to look into the issue in your particular account. Can you please provide me with this information:
  1. your URL, or, if you haven't published, the name of your website and your login e-mail (no password)

2. an example of a page with a Text Widget where you can't use tiny text as a link, please describe where the widget is situated on that page and what it contains to make it easier for me to locate it

Thank you for working through this with us.
Photo of guitarerivesud

guitarerivesud

• 5 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
I've never seen the new/old text editor that everybody complain about. I've only seen the style designer that switch EVERYTHING in my builder for no reason (and no, I did not edit anything!).

I really think it's because of the style designer because it only messed the site I open the style designer in. The other sites are fine.

The way I can fix text link format like André on live support tells me, is to do it in Explorer... I can't edit link text in Firefox anymore... go figure.... That's a BIG problem. (like in the style designer, I cannot edit the links as it's fixed)

Go see my site http://GuitareRiveSud.com. It is OK online but in the builder, it's all messy! That mean I cannot edit my site without taking a day fixing all the mess you've created...
Photo of Stefan

Stefan, Official Rep

• 4448 Posts
  • 190 Reply Likes
Hello guitarerivesud

I've checked your account and can see that you have the option to disable the Style Designer. If the tool changes your site design in an unwanted way, you can just disable it. To do this, please open the Style Designer (e.g. Page > Page Properties > Style Designer) and click on the "Power on/off" icon in the top left corner.
Photo of guitarerivesud

guitarerivesud

• 5 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
So you tell me there is no way I can either design the style and have the right text edition when done manually? WTF!?!

You should have considered that I was able to do it in Explorer and not in Firefox....
Photo of Stefan

Stefan, Official Rep

• 4448 Posts
  • 190 Reply Likes
Hello guitarerivesud

Can I please ask you to maintain a more respectful language? As far as I can see on this thread, you didn't mention that it worked in Internet Explorer, but I may have overlooked it because of the length of this thread.

So did I understand you correctly that you don't see any mistakes in Internet Explorer, but in Firefox you do, and/or that you can add links to tiny text in IE, but not in FF? I used FF when I checked it in my own account, so if you provide me with your URL, I'll be able to look into this for you.
Photo of Chris Hall

Chris Hall

• 58 Posts
  • 10 Reply Likes
guitarervesued - I think this is the same situation as I was having. Yola introduced a Style Developer programme that corrupted the fonts and links on many peoples sites. I believe if you disable the Style Developer, all your text will be reverted back to how it was. This is what a very helpful Yola employee did for me and now my site is once again back to how it should be.

Hope that helps.

Melynda von Wayward

• 15 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I think Turning off the Style Designer is the answer here guys... my site seems to be back in order now - thanks for the help and sorry for the agro ;)
Photo of Chris Hall

Chris Hall

• 58 Posts
  • 10 Reply Likes
Agreed. I think the Style Designer only works if you're starting your website off from scratch now with it. If your site was around before the downgrade on Monday - then the Style Developer will interfere with all of your fonts and mess up how your linked text looks.

However, as you stated - if you simply disable the Style Developer and never use it again, then all should be fine (as long as Yola's site developers don't force the destructive software on us in the future that is).

Can't tell you how relived I was when my site was sorted out for me. Yola definietly need to send out an email telling all their existing customers to disable the Style Developer if they're experiencing problems.
Photo of John Yeoman

John Yeoman

• 35 Posts
  • 10 Reply Likes
I agree with Chris. Perhaps the safest option would be

a) for Yola to bury the Style Developer so that those few people who might need it must actively search for it.
b) set the default to OFF, so it must be deliberately engaged
c) flash a warning message: 'This action will reformat every page in your site. Do you REALLY want to proceed?'

As it is, I'm still worried about entering Yola in case I find the Style Developer has been engaged by default and one click upon a page will wreck my site :(

Can Yola reassure me that this won't happen?
Photo of a1web UK

a1web UK

• 174 Posts
  • 24 Reply Likes
I like that ..

a) for Yola to bury the Style Developer so that those few people who might need it must actively search for it.
b) set the default to OFF, so it must be deliberately engaged
c) flash a warning message: 'This action will reformat every page in your site. Do you REALLY want to proceed?'
Photo of Sister

Sister

• 85 Posts
  • 7 Reply Likes
Yes, I like this too!