trouble sending preview links

• Question
  • Updated 8 years ago
  • Answered
Does anyone else have a problem sending a preview link out to other people? My site isn't published and i was able to send a copy of the preview URL and have people take a look at it. It doesn't work now - it takes them to the Yola login page. . . .
Photo of ryan

ryan

• 7 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
  • frustrated

Posted 8 years ago

Photo of INDI

INDI

• 189 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Hello Ryan, I do this very often, mostly every day (except yesterday), I have 2 people I trust and I constantly send the preview URL to them while we are speaking on Skype so I get their immediate feedback. I ask 'can you see this ok?" "what do you think of this?" so far no problems, it takes them to whatever page URL it is that I send them, they can go through my navigation menu and see the entire site and give me feedback.

I have not done this since the latest updates on Yola as I've had other issues and had no time for Skyping but I am waiting on 1 of those friends to come online very shortly, I can get them to check mine again and let you know if it's all still working or they get sent to the Login page.

INDI
Photo of ryan

ryan

• 7 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Hi Indi,
Thanks for the response. It sounds like you're doing the same thing that I have been doing, so if you could check yours, that would be awesome.
I had the same thought that maybe it has to do with the updates. . . . I have a few other problems today that were always easy thigs to do just a few days ago. . . .
Thanks again!
Photo of INDI

INDI

• 189 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Yep I've had a few problems since the update but slowly sorting through them with the help of the Yola staff :)

As soon as my friend comes online (i'm in Australia so it's Friday morning here) so i'll just have to wait for her, the other friend is in Canada but it's evening there now so I'll wait for my fellow Aussie to come online. If you are gone I will still post back on this thread the outcome.

Cheers :)
Photo of Emmy

Emmy

• 5892 Posts
  • 299 Reply Likes
Hello Indi,
It's not possible to send the preview URL to people any longer. We removed this ability for security purposes. At this time if you would like to show people your site you would need to sent the actual URL. I'm sorry if this is something that makes something difficult for you. Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Emmu
Photo of INDI

INDI

• 189 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Oooooh I didn't know this had been removed :( like I said I haven't done so since the updates. My site is unpublished that's why I could only send the 'preview' , I even had them testing the Paypal set in my store, it was very helpful to me because sometimes what I was seeing here is not how it was appearing there so I could go about trying to figure the problem out or change things around.

I am disappointed now but not much I can do about it :(
Photo of Emmy

Emmy

• 5892 Posts
  • 299 Reply Likes
I'm sorry for the disappointment with this :( It was a decision that was made to increase the security of sites, as security is really important to us.

Emmy
Photo of INDI

INDI

• 189 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
I do understand fully, it was just handy to have a friend give opinions as I progressed along.

All is good.
Photo of Mike S

Mike S

• 5 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Official Response
As an alternative to sending out the preview url to your friends, you can password protect your site and publish it, sending your friends the username and password so only they will be able to see it. You can even just password protect some pages that you are working on, so that the rest of your visitors can continue to see the regular, unprotected site.
Photo of ryan

ryan

• 7 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I hate to sound too irritated about this, but I'm a little confused as to why there are now two employees chiming in here but it's been hours since I sent an email with no reply. . . . . Thank you again Indi for your input!
So now the alternative is to publish an unfinished site and add a password screen - thereby potentially discouraging people from coming back to it in the future?
Can the entire site be password protected from one landing page, or does each page need separate access?
Is it possible to publish a dummy version with a subfolder? like www.domainname.com/ryan ?
Photo of Marije

Marije, Official Rep

• 4636 Posts
  • 237 Reply Likes
Hi Ryan - I'm sorry that your post here has been neglected. If you password protect your home page, then that will prevent people from accessing the rest of your site unless they have links to another page on your site. You can password protect all the pages if you like: http://www.yola.com/customer-support/...

It's not possible to publish to a subfolder-type format.
Photo of Mike C

Mike C

• 86 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
What WAS the security risk with allowing the preview links to be shared? I enjoyed that feature as I have not yet picked a domain for my site, but now can't get any feedback on it..
Photo of Marije

Marije, Official Rep

• 4636 Posts
  • 237 Reply Likes
Hi Mike - unfortunately we can't elaborate on the security risk at this time.

If you want people to give you feedback on your site, you can temporarily publish it to a free Yola subdomain.
Photo of Margie

Margie

• 286 Posts
  • 25 Reply Likes
Another option, though the pages wouldn't be live, would be to take a screenshot and email it to friends for their opinions. Of course you'd have to do a separate shot of each page you want them to see. If it's only the design you're wanting feedback on, it would work fine.
Photo of Mike C

Mike C

• 86 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Yeah, it's just more work to do something that was easy to do before the change. But if it's for security reasons, then I guess it's for the best...
Photo of Sanja

Sanja

• 10698 Posts
  • 495 Reply Likes
A great idea Margie!