Website slow to load flash items not working

• Question
  • Updated 4 years ago
  • Answered
My website home page is taking ages to load the flash items dont run you have to press the play button to run the flash banners also visitor tracking widgets effected can you help please and nations of visitor widget not showing up on any page site is here http://www.aidanobrienfansite.com/
Photo of Paul Rhodes

Paul Rhodes

• 79 Posts
  • 7 Reply Likes

Posted 4 years ago

Photo of Gop

Gop

• 7473 Posts
  • 2115 Reply Likes
Hello Paul,

Late versions of Chrome are showing what you mention. This is because Chrome have taken out a module. Other browsers seem unaffected at this stage.
Photo of Gop

Gop

• 7473 Posts
  • 2115 Reply Likes
From Java.com
Chrome no longer supports NPAPI (technology required for Java applets)The Java plug-in for web browsers relies on the cross platform plugin architecture NPAPI, which has been supported by all major web browsers for over a decade. Google's Chrome version 45 (scheduled for release in September 2015) drops support for NPAPI, impacting plugins for Silverlight, Java, Facebook Video and other similar NPAPI based plugins.

Java applications are offered though web browsers as either a web start application (which do not interact with the browser once they are launched) or as a Java applet (which might interact with the browser). This change does not affect Web Start applications, it only impacts applets.

If you have problems accessing Java applications using Chrome, Oracle recommends using Firefox, Internet Explorer or Safari instead.

From Google:
Plugin-based content doesn't work on Chrome

It would be very good if Yola could be pro-active on such issues and make suggestions for alternatives and alerts rather than simply denying that it is in fact a reality and then subsequently going silent on the issue(s)
(Edited)
Photo of Paul Rhodes

Paul Rhodes

• 79 Posts
  • 7 Reply Likes
clearly this is effecting the website visitor counters as my traffic has taken a nose dive over past 2 days lowest traffic numbers in 4 years I dont see any solourion in your reply we were told ages ago that using the site build could only be done with chrome browser we ditched IE to make sure everything is right now this.

Recommendations dont help i need to know what to do to get these flash banners working again 

we also pride ourselfs on keeping visitors updated on how many unique visitors we have and the amount of nations visit us now that software simply does now work after 4 years of it working.

Shame on google to do this to people but think yola could do more to help me with a solution rather than recommend something.

using another browser may be a quick fix for me but i cant tell my visitors which browser to use its a joke so disappointing as every thing has run smooth for years  
Photo of Paul Rhodes

Paul Rhodes

• 79 Posts
  • 7 Reply Likes
I have just switched to internet explorer and same issue the visitor flash banners not showing up and home page takes ages to load
Photo of Gop

Gop

• 7473 Posts
  • 2115 Reply Likes
Hi Paul,

The reason Chrome dropped NPAPI was because it was a security nightmare. They had asked Oracle several years ago to build a module with security but it hasn't happened. I'm unaware of the issue with IE per se. It is working with Edge currently

Currently the only workaround in Chrome is to click the Start button on the plug-in. 
(Edited)
Photo of Paul Rhodes

Paul Rhodes

• 79 Posts
  • 7 Reply Likes
www.supercounters.com is what we use there widget is just not showing up on any of our pages anymore
Photo of Paul Rhodes

Paul Rhodes

• 79 Posts
  • 7 Reply Likes
Photo of Gop

Gop

• 7473 Posts
  • 2115 Reply Likes
Hi Paul,

hit-counters are a two edged sword as felt by professional builders. They tend not to be accurate compared to analytics( although analytics themselves also give varying analyses).

Many see them as a lack of humility or a sign of disinterest. It is unlikely to be of interest to users and simply another piece of flotsam on a web-page. Analytics tend to give you a greater in depth view of your viewing people and you can make future decisions based on your analysis.

The load time may or may not be associated with the Flash issue
(Edited)
Photo of Paul Rhodes

Paul Rhodes

• 79 Posts
  • 7 Reply Likes
just removed supercounter and page loads instantly so i now have to remove it from every page ahhhh