Website only partially loading. No content.

  • 1
  • Problem
  • Updated 10 years ago
Website suddenly not showing content. Only header and tabs are loading. This has been going on for at least four hours.
http://www.generalhospitalhappenings.com
Photo of condo58

condo58

  • 130 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes
  • frustrated this is happenings so soon after the last problems.

Posted 10 years ago

  • 1
Photo of condo58

condo58

  • 130 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes
Additional info. - The first six tabs of pages will not load. The last two tabs on my site do load. Those last two pages contain links to hidden pages, those will load as well.
Photo of condo58

condo58

  • 130 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes
More info - All pages load when using Internet Explorer, but NOT with Firefox.
Photo of condo58

condo58

  • 130 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes
Site also loads with Google Chrome..the problem is isolated to Firefox.
Photo of Brianna

Brianna

  • 2045 Posts
  • 92 Reply Likes
Official Response
Hello Condo58,

I am sorry to hear that you are facing these issues. I did notice that you made another thread referring to this issue and I have answered you there.

I did just view your site with no troubles while using Firefox. (please see the attached screenshot).

I believe if you clear your cache, you will no longer be having this issue. Please follow these instructions: Clearing your Browser's Cache

Please let me know if you need further assistance!

Photo of condo58

condo58

  • 130 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes
Yes, the site is finally up on firefox too but it had nothing to do with my cache. All my users experienced the same problem for at least 6 hours.
Photo of condo58

condo58

  • 130 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes
I would still like to know what the problem was and to know if you have looked into it so it will not happen again. Just an FYI, during entire this experience my sitebuilder was accessible.
Photo of Sanja

Sanja

  • 10698 Posts
  • 495 Reply Likes
Hello Condo58

We are glad to hear that you are now able to see your site in Firefox. It is difficult for us to investigate as we were not experiencing any trouble on our side. As a result, this makes it hard to debug.

As much as we do not want this to happen again, all we can do at this point is to wait until it does happen again so that we can gather more information and to see if we can replicate the issue. It may be something completely separate from Yola. We simply do not have enough information at this point.

Please do let us know if you run into this problem again as we certainly do want to see this addressed as quickly as we possibly can.