What have i done wrong??

• Problem
  • Updated 7 years ago
  • Solved
Hi. Ive finished my site. One problem is that when my front page is veiwed on an Iphone or ipad the wigets are all spread out and not neat as on a my laptop browsers. The other pages are all lined up and look good. It was fine the other day and I cant seem to put it right. Ive done an online html check but as for fixing any errors im really confused. Please help!!!

geste.co.uk
Photo of gestefoods

gestefoods

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 7 years ago

Photo of Francois

Francois, Employee

• 282 Posts
  • 19 Reply Likes
Hi gestefoods,

It sounds like the problem may be caused by the native iPad/iPhone browser. I really hope that somebody in the Yola community has a viable workaround for your problem.
Photo of Andi North, Mangopear Media

Andi North, Mangopear Media

• 782 Posts
  • 111 Reply Likes
Hi all,

It appears to be the way that the iPhone and iPod Touch browser works, one key issue is that it does not support the <!--- <font> ---> tag which means that the styling is lost. Yola should really change their Sitebuilder to stop using font tags and use either <!--- <p> or <span> ---> tags. p tags would be better. More and more browsers are stopping support for the <!---<font>---> tag so pretty soon they wont render properly.

Hope this helps Yola improve the sitebuilder!

As for you gestefoods, there aren't really many options available to you. The site looks fine in iPad but in iPhone the browser is reverting to "Mobile" mode. This means that it strips out most of the style code so that sites display quickly - so that it is cheaper and quicker for users. If your users click on the "View Full Site" button at the bottom then the site renders almost perfectly. There is no real fix for the slight issues that you have with the size of the boxes in this mode because the iPhone renders the font size so that it is readable in the body area, but reduces the size of the element so that they fit into the Viewport. There isn't an option, as far as I am aware, to remove this.

Andi
Photo of gestefoods

gestefoods

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Andi, your a hero! Many thanks.Ive redone my front page and disabled the mobile option as it shows what seems to be 'code' when viewing it (does this make sense?). I asked a web builder to look at my site (as its my very first try at it) they kind of inferred that it was rubbish and I should pay £800 to £1200 for a professional to do one, its left me gutted because I walking around proud of my achievement as a newby!
Photo of Gop

Gop

• 7473 Posts
  • 2115 Reply Likes
Hi gestefoods,

You will come across people like that who put down another's work. It says a lot about themselves.

You should be proud of your achievement and very pleased with yourself. You know what you have learnt and achieved making this site and it is a lot.

My sentiment is simply "Congratulations!" and keep enjoying the development of your sites and keep enjoying the learning. One day you may have these other people eating out of your hand :)

Have a look at http://honeybearplayhomes.com. This was built by a person without prior knowledge of site building, someone like yourself who learned as they went along.