What is a good privacy policy to use?

• Question
  • Updated 8 years ago
Can someone refer me to a good privacy policy I can place on my website. I need it especially now that I have the option to purchase adspace and users may be cautious about entering their information. I know sometimes when I give someone my email, I get like ten emails from companies I don't recognize, I recon it's because my email was sold.
Photo of Donald

Donald

• 2991 Posts
  • 37 Reply Likes
  • http://youcanneverbetoosmart.synthasite.com

Posted 10 years ago

Photo of papa

papa

• 327 Posts
  • 20 Reply Likes
Donald

Try starting here

http://www.dmaresponsibility.org/PPG/

Maybe it'll help

papa
Photo of papa

papa

• 327 Posts
  • 20 Reply Likes
Donald,
you may want to consider getting your own domain name that you can get a e-mail address to match.
In most cases a company trying to make money on the internet have a sellsomething.com address and e-mail sales@sellsomething.com I get a lot of e-mail from business offering their services with company name with a google.com or yahoo.com mail box. I don't take time to read them. If a company has matching address(sellsomething.com) and e-mail (sales@sellsomething.com) then I'll read and needed I'll reply.

Papa
Photo of Donald

Donald

• 2991 Posts
  • 37 Reply Likes
you got the money for that? LOL, since April 8 of this year I've only made $22.35 in advertising and I don't get any of that until I reach $100 (another 8 months at least). Help me generate some money in the first place then I'll invest money. Right now with kids and owning my own landscaping service (operating at about $60 a week bc I'm slow) I don't have any money to invest yet. I WANT to invest, but can't until I break the barrier to making money. My first $100 check from google is going completely into the website so that maybe my next check of $100 comes more quickly, but until that happens, I'm flat broke. If I'm correct, getting my own domain and email to follow costs money right? $19.95 per year?

Go to my online store, it has a link to buy a child's book to teach them the ABCs and 123s and to teach them how to read also. That book was created/written by me and published by LULU... go buy one! :) lol

I created that privacy policy, thanks for that by the way. Go to my homepage and you'll notice it's the last item in my menu, click on that and check out the privacy policy if you'd like.
Photo of Donald

Donald

• 2991 Posts
  • 37 Reply Likes
Oh, by the way... over the last week, I've had 1 to 3 visitors per day that found my site from a search engine ranging from google to yahoo and ask or bing. This is an improvement seeing how prior to last week it was rare for me to get a visitor from a search engine. And I've been earning money everyday for the last four days from google. Although it ranges from $0.01 to $1.10 per day, it's still an improvement from before. Although these are small improvements, it's showing me that maybe something's starting to give and next week I'll be getting $10,000 a day from google (well... I can dream anyways).
Photo of Donald

Donald

• 2991 Posts
  • 37 Reply Likes
if you type human chest (a popular searched term) into yahoo, as of two days ago, I was one listing below wikipedia (#4) which means yahoo is ranking me kind of good - that's where most of my search engine results come from.
Photo of papa

papa

• 327 Posts
  • 20 Reply Likes
Donald,
No I did not look (at your site) and was unaware that you knew about that privacy policy site. I'm sure that a google or yahoo search may be more helpful than I can provide.

Really I did not know you wrote a book. IDEA! You could write your own privacy policy. I did. It's no gem but it'll do for now.

As far as a domain name with e-mail box. GOOD NEWS go-daddy has one at youcanneverbetoosmart.INFO all for $.89 Yes folks that's 89 cents. Let check out that couch out, move those cushions.

I once felt sorry for myself because I had no shoes, then I seen a man with no feet.

I've raised 6 kids. been threw 2 marriages. In the last year i lost a trucking business, filed bankruptcy, found a job, worked 6 days, had a heart attacked, lost my job, had triple by-pass, and did not work for 8 month. Now I have a job on an army base working with homeless vets. Everyday I thank God for the food, the little bit of money we have, my wife, my kids, 28 years of sobriety and more. Of course on the other side of the coin I could complain and cry.

You've made more money than I have with advertising. Congratulations.

I do these sites to grow and learn. Hopefully make some money in time. I have just enjoy one beautiful day of life. My Green Bay Packers lost, it rain all day, my dogs keep eating my wall. Thank God I'm Alive

Papa
Photo of Donald

Donald

• 2991 Posts
  • 37 Reply Likes
I'm actually working on a book that's kind of running slow because I've been working on this site, but prior to starting with yola, I have a book in progress that so far is 480 pages long. It's one of those big thick instructional books you'll see at a library or book store. It's a martial arts instructional. And almost done, I should finish it, but can't afford to publish it anyways - the cheapest is $2200 that I was able to find.
Photo of Donald

Donald

• 2991 Posts
  • 37 Reply Likes
well... that's why I started my website, in hopes of learning. I am probably the most inquisitive person you'll ever meet, I never quit attempting to learn. The income hopes is to help further learning of myself and others. If I can generate a descent revenue in the future, maybe the website is the only "work" I'll have to focus on. I understand that others have it more difficult than I do, I was just indicating that I am flat broke and until advertising or another source pays me some money, I'm probably not going to want to invest because that's a risk I can't afford to take. I had to borrow money for diapers. However, after I get my first $100.00 from google... here is my breakdown...

Purchase yola custom domain - $19.95
Purchase to remove yola link - $9.95 (no offense against yola, but I personally believe that if others know you used a free sitebuilder to create the site it tends to look a little bit more unprofessional.
Purchase advertising for the remainder $70.10

Having the custom domain should (from what I read) help with google ranking in the long run to drive extra traffic to my site plus it looks more appealing (to drive extra traffic to my site)

Removing the yola link will possibly look a little more professional therefore keeping the customers that accidentally stroll across my site (providing these people as extra traffic)

And purchasing advertising should definately assist in extra traffic ($70.10 at approximately $0.25 per click is approximately 280 extra visits or $0.10 per click is approximately 701 extra visits) - the difference in paying extra for each click is how often your ad is shown to obtain those clicks (you'll get visits more quickly paying more per click).

Hopefully with these extra visitors, I'll also have additional visitors (unsolicited by myself and ad campaigns) from word of mouths of those who liked my site.

I anticipate (educated guess) that after my first $100.00 is earned from google advertising, I will obtain an extra 1,000 visitors by the time my ad is taken down because the budget ran out.

I hope that 25 to 100% of my visitors are repeats, causing for a high daily volume. Then I'll get a check from google (hopefully) every month instead of waiting several months or a year for one check.
Photo of Donald

Donald

• 2991 Posts
  • 37 Reply Likes
oh, and by the way. You said, "I didn't even know you knew about that privacy policy"... kind of confused me. The privacy policy I was referring to was published in my site shortly after YOU gave me the link to a privacy policy generator! :)
Photo of papa

papa

• 327 Posts
  • 20 Reply Likes
Donald,
I miss read that part, I'm sorry. I thought you already had it on your site before I suggested that link. My error.

If you want you can re-publish your site with your own domain name www.youcanneverbetoosmart.info. I just check it and and it's live except for you republishing the actual site. I'll contact you tomorrow by e-mail about your mail box.
It's a gift. One less worry.

Papa
Photo of Donald

Donald

• 2991 Posts
  • 37 Reply Likes
wow... I'm stunned!
Photo of Donald

Donald

• 2991 Posts
  • 37 Reply Likes
so... can I use www.youcanneverbetoosmart.info and not have to pay for it?

And if I switch to that, will my current subdomain redirect to that?
Photo of papa

papa

• 327 Posts
  • 20 Reply Likes
Donald
Yes ready to go
will e-mail you shortly
papa
Photo of Donald

Donald

• 2991 Posts
  • 37 Reply Likes
thank you for that... but I seriously need to know if it'll have a 301 direct. :) Without a 301 direct I'll be back at stage 1, day 1... just as if I just opened up today. So it's kinda important. Does getclicky and google analytics have to change? With the free service of getclicky it only permits one website, so if it recognizes it as a different website, then won't I have to get a new getclicky account? or can I just use my same getclicky code for the new domain?
Photo of nick

nick

• 154 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Hey buy me one lol.... Im jk I have 3 already, .net and 2 .infos... a .info for 1.07 thats tax too. I pointed it to yola in like 5 minutes. really 1 dollar.....thats crazy cheap!! lol
Photo of Monique

Monique, VP of Customer Support

• 6294 Posts
  • 446 Reply Likes
Official Response
Yola has integrated with Truste, who can provide you with an excellent privacy policy. They have a setup process especially for Yola customers You will find them in the "Widgets" folder. The cost is 14.95USD per year.

Photo of Donald

Donald

• 2991 Posts
  • 37 Reply Likes
I will consider this when I have money... I'm trying not to invest money until I make money, it's a risk my kids can't afford. But definitely after I make a little bit of money, I am definitely investing.
Photo of Donald

Donald

• 2991 Posts
  • 37 Reply Likes
ok, I''m confused. I went ahead and published my site with the .info site Papa provided to me (thank you papa)... but it appears that, instead of a 301 direct, both the subdomain AND the .info exists. I thought the subdomain was suppose to go away when you switched to a custom domain ... was I mistaken?
Photo of Donald

Donald

• 2991 Posts
  • 37 Reply Likes
and .info is probably the best choice as my site is an INFORMATION site! LOL :) I would prefer the .info I have over a .com or .net
Photo of nick

nick

• 154 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Donald,

You need to go to the yola.com home page.
-log-in.
-scroll to bottom of page and check the check box for "advanced settings"
-I believe from there it brings you to top of page.
-click "advanced settings".
-Then you should be able to see where to delete your sub domain if you want to, or change your .info to be your main landing page when your www.aaaaaaa.info is typed in.

Nick
p.s.(Duke I'm waiting on some help from you buddy) lol
Photo of Donald

Donald

• 2991 Posts
  • 37 Reply Likes
ok, do I want to do that? or should I just keep both sites?
Photo of papa

papa

• 327 Posts
  • 20 Reply Likes
Donald
check your email
yes keep both right now
papa
Photo of nick

nick

• 154 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
I would also keep both. Change .info to be your main landing page though. I'm sure papa is helping you out here, but just wanted to clarify.
Thanks,
Nick
androidplayground.net
Photo of Donald

Donald

• 2991 Posts
  • 37 Reply Likes
Well, yea, if I ever post my website from here on I'll use the .info to try to get that one known.
Photo of Donald

Donald

• 2991 Posts
  • 37 Reply Likes
plus, now that I have this, it's easier to advertise. MySpace has virtually an unthinkable amount of possible friends as they have "friend adding sites" that help you obtain a lot of friends, I have 8,000 friends on myspace. With my subdomain, myspace was recognizing it as spam and if I posted the link and someone clicked on it, it would say this site is known for phishing but with the .info (I just tried it) it says, you are now leaving myspace, click on the link to continue and it takes them to my site (which I couldn't do before)... If I post a status message, comment, bulletin, etc. That's a possibility of 8,000 people on my friend's list that might be able to see the link to my site. :)
Photo of Donald

Donald

• 2991 Posts
  • 37 Reply Likes
and when I reach my first million dollars, I'm giving papa $100,000... ok, y'all heard that! :)
Photo of lawrencemiller38

lawrencemiller38

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
what information/documentation do you have to provide truste with to recieve a seal.
Photo of Laura Thomas

Laura Thomas

• 4536 Posts
  • 211 Reply Likes
Please see Truste's FAQ's for details on what is needed for the seal.