Why can't I resize thumbnails?

• Question
  • Updated 10 years ago
  • Answered
When I try to add multiple thumbnails in a text widget the first one I insert is enormous and there are no red "handles" to resize it. Where am I going wrong. The picture is so large it is not all visible on the page.
Photo of budgie

budgie

• 11 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
  • frustrated

Posted 11 years ago

Photo of njoynlife

njoynlife

• 278 Posts
  • 9 Reply Likes
Use the picnik to edit your pics before loading them to the page. It is so much easier and the pictures can be adjusted to be more uniform. This is how to find it:
Add text to your page
Hit edit
On the edit toolbar select insert image
Once inside the editor upload one of your pics from your computer
Now highlight that picture
Then hit the Picnik button at the bottom
you will then see all of your editing options
It is great having it all in one place and much easier than trying to edit the pictures after you have put them on the webpage.
Hope this makes sense. I am no guru, just a newbie.
Photo of Monique

Monique, VP of Customer Support

• 6294 Posts
  • 446 Reply Likes
Official Response
Hi Budgie

When you add an image with the text widget you can resize it by clicking on it. Little blocks will appear in the corners of the image that you can drag until the image is the desired size. However, if the image is so large that not all of it is visible on the page, you are probably not seeing the boxes. If the original image you uploaded is large then the dimensions of the image are maintained when you add it to your page. Here is what I suggest you do:
1) Click on "manage files"
2) In the file manager, click on the image you want to resize
3) In the bottom right hand corner of the file manager you will see a button that says "Edit with Picnik"
4) An image editor (Picnik) will open up with your image loaded.
5) Click on the "Resize" option and type in the new dimensions for your image.
6) When you are done, click "save to SynthaSite"

Your image will then be resized in your file manager. You may need to click "refresh" to see the smaller version of the image on your page.
Photo of Stephanie Bartee

Stephanie Bartee

• 13 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
It is so much easier to click on the picture and resize it when it's actually next to the others, that whole picnik thing is stupid. Which by the way I can't use anyway because when I go to the pictures I have uploaded already it only shows 20 pictures, and it won't let me scroll down. Oh yeah, I can't do the resizing by clicking on it either because it won't let me click on them after I load them either. Greeat job guys, you manage to turn synthasite into yola(a really crappy version of synthasite)
Photo of Dré

Dré

• 201 Posts
  • 15 Reply Likes
Hi Stephanie,

We really do hear your frustration!

Yola (especially within the support team) is always trying to keep an ear to the ground and pick up what our users are needing and wanting.

Needs are always growing and changing, so while I can assure you I will bring your request to attention of our engineers, I can't promise right now that there will be immediate action on this specific issue.

I have also replied to your email to support. We do welcome this feedback.

Stephanie Bartee

• 13 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Yeah and your e-mail was completely useless, I sent one back telling you AGAIN what the problem is.
Photo of Emmy

Emmy

• 5892 Posts
  • 299 Reply Likes
Stephanie,
Andre is currently offline, so if you have just replied to him he won't be available to answer you; I just wanted you to know that. If you would like to explain the problem you are having here, I can try to assist you, otherwise Andre will reply to you when he is online again.

Emmy
Photo of Boomer

Boomer, Champion

• 2055 Posts
  • 84 Reply Likes
@ Stephanie Bartee

If you look up at the top left hand side of your screen, you will see that this question was asked a very long time ago. Just in case you can't find it, it says "budgie asked this question 1 year ago". This is when Yola was still called Synthasite BTW.

Anyway I know that's not really relevent, but if you have a problem, why not post a new question, stating what your problem is, instead of jumping in on a year old thread and being abusive.

There are some really helpfull people, and reps (especially Marije who you have been extremely rude to on another thread), in this community. If you need help using Picnik, just ask, and I'll see if I can get my 12 year old son to help you out.

Stephanie Bartee

• 13 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
The only reason I posted on this is because it was the same question that I had, and then I realized that it was asked a long time ago. I think you would be a little upset if you logged on to your account and found that you can't do things the same way you've done them before, instead you have to go through all of these steps, and jump through all these hoops, when you used to be able to do it with one click.
Photo of Boomer

Boomer, Champion

• 2055 Posts
  • 84 Reply Likes
Being dissatisfied is fine Stephanie. There are many here who are very willing to help. Calling Marije (who I've met in person) an idiot is not. I think you owe her an apology.
Photo of njoynlife

njoynlife

• 278 Posts
  • 9 Reply Likes
I don't think that I WOULD be upset if I were in your position at all Ms. Bartee. The employees here have been and always will be quite helpful to us ALL in reaching our goals. I have read back to find that each employee has responded to you with a large amount of respect despite your uncouth behavior.

I would like to state again, as Boomer said, that nothing changed when Synthasite became Yola, except the name. Improvements would be made regardless of the branding name of the site.

I have found that I had problems with picture editing due to updates of Mozilla. The problem isn't always one that Yola is responsible for but they still helped me as much as they possibly could. This really is a give and take community.

Applications such as picnik are just that, applications which Yola has no control over. If the picnik doesn't work for you, there are other applications that might serve you better but this is something that you should search for yourself, similar to finding the right car for you. Picnik is the loaner car to get you on the road and going.

Just as Yola isn't capable of controlling applications used to enhance the website building service they offer, they also can not control how large you decided to take your pictures in your camera. Learning to take the appropriate sized pictures prior to uploading them to your site, will help you in quite a few different ways and really is the most professional approach on your part.

So all "feeling" aside and back to being or becoming professionals; A program called Microsoft Office Picture Manager, in most newer computers, allows you to click on a multitude of pictures all at once and then re-size and compress them all at once for the best results on your web page. I have learned and am still trying to fix not compressing my pictures. It affects the load time as well as the security of sites built. Gimp is another program, which is free that will help you get this task done. Either way, you may have to spend a night learning but once you get that done, it will be worth the extra effort.

Stephanie Bartee

• 13 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
That's just the problem, I never had to use any applications before to resize or add links to my pictures, and the fact that I cannot do that anymore is something to do with yola, not other applications.
I know how to resize my pictures but they don't always load to the website the same size, as all of the others. I minimize them to a height of1.5 inches, save them to my computer, load them to my website and then make them smaller. I do this because I have found that if I make them smaller and then load them, they become pixelated and lose detail which is not good when you're putting artwork up. And as I've said before, I chose to use this website because I didn't have to use all of these applications to do the simplest of things.
I have used programs to resize, compress, and change pictures for almost ten years, so my competency is not the problem here, it's the fact that no one gets that I don't like having to go through a bunch of steps to do something that I could easily do with one with click.
Photo of Boomer

Boomer, Champion

• 2055 Posts
  • 84 Reply Likes
I have never cared much for Picnik, despite the fact that I wrote a tutorial on resizing for my own clients to use for uploading images on one of my website forms. Besides njoynlife's suggestion of using Microsoft Office Picture Manager, I have the following suggestion:

I use a nice FREE program called FastStone Image Viewer for all my image resizing. I haven't counted but I must have close to 1000 images on my site. I realise we all have our own prefered tools for doing things, but I really think you should give it a try. Grace, from Digital Retouching was pretty impressed with it too.

Another really important thing to do, which most people forget or don't know about, is to strip all the metadata from your images (especially digital camera photos). I posted a thread a while back on on how to do this: http://forum.yola.com/yola/topics/pro...
There I refered to using a different tool, but Fastone performs that task also.

I think if you tried these options, Stephanie, you won't look back. You will wonder why you ever used Picnik in the first place. Don't get me wrong, I am not trying to run Picnik down, I just think my way is faster than working with an online tool.

Ok, I know what your next question is going to be: How do I know what size to resize the image too so that it fits in that particular space on my page? Here's how:

Drag the image widget onto your page where you would like to place the image. Use any small image, and drag it bigger to the size you want. Save the page, right click on the image and view its properties. It will say something like "image size - blah, resized to blah" Take the resized value and use Faststone to resize and crop your new image (don't forget to strip the metadata).

Me helping you does not mean we are friends now all of a sudden. You are not off the hook yet ;-) I'm still waiting for that apology to our super cool rockstar rep, Marije.
Let's play nice now, OK...

Stephanie Bartee

• 13 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Thanks for the suggestion and I'm thinking about checking out faststone, I will probably stick with my adobe photoshop and corel painter(my sisters getting me the sketch pad for Christmas, yay!), but I will check it out.
And also thank you for the suggestion on resizing and saving and all, it's just that my main problem right now is that I can't click on any of the pictures I put on my pages, not even to delete them. I have to go to a different page without saving and then go back.
Also, I am sorry to Marije, for calling you an idiot. I shouldn't have taken my anger out on you. I had just spent a long time on the phone with Verizon Wireless, trying to get someone to transfer me to their tech people instead of asking me if they can help, and making me explain everything and then deciding they actually couldn't help me, and trying to transfer me to the tech people, and instead transferring me to another customer service rep that would make me explain again, and twice to the Spanish speaking customer reps.
Photo of Boomer

Boomer, Champion

• 2055 Posts
  • 84 Reply Likes
You are lucky to have tools like Photoshop and Corel Painter - I can't afford them. I wouldn't know how to use them anyway. I have to stick with the simple, FREE stuff, like Faststone, Gimp and Yola ;-) Hey I'm kidding guy's :-))

I'm not sure why you can't even delete your images in the sitebuilder.
Are they not possibly to large and never have the time to load up completely.

Unfortunately you may need to delete the offending page(s) and start over with smaller images. Don't worry, I've had to delete pages (with incorrect code) and start over many times. Sometimes you just have to bite the bullet.

Anyway, good luck and I hope you come right with your images.

Stephanie Bartee

• 13 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
It's not just one page, it's all of them. And, I will only delete as a last resort, I put too much work into those pages. The pictures are 1.5 in height, so i don't think they're too large.
Also, my dad is a computer tech and gets a lot of great deals on things. He built mine and my siblings computers.
Photo of Sanja

Sanja

• 10698 Posts
  • 495 Reply Likes
Stephanie... I think I might be getting an idea of what the problem may be. Can you please email me at support@yola.com? I'll have to investigate this further to see if my inklings are correct. I'll be back online later this evening.

Stephanie Bartee

• 13 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I've already sent a couple of e-mails to the yola support. What information do you need me to send you?
Photo of Sanja

Sanja

• 10698 Posts
  • 495 Reply Likes
Hi Stephanie

I may not need an email from you after all. I was able to locate your email address through our support. I took the liberty of going into your site builder to see what is going on.

From what I can see you, you have many different sizes. When I uploaded my images, I too, resized my images using HTML. This appears to be what you're doing as well. For example: img style="border: 0px; width=100px, height=100px" src="your image.jpg. FF is able to smooth out images according to the parameters set but IE is unable to do this and thus creating pixelated images.

So, how to counter this problem? I've learned you need to use the true size. So if you actually want an image to be 100x100, then physically resize your image to that dimension through Picnik or any other imaging program. Then, you just insert your img src as normal without any width or height. The result? Beautiful looking images that look good in all browsers!

If you can use a program such as one the that Boomer suggested or something like this (my fave for bulk resizing): http://pixresizer.en.softonic.com/, I'm sure that you will find that your images will look much better!

I hope this helps to resolve the issue.

Stephanie Bartee

• 13 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
By the way, my pictures all have different dimensions. I can't really put something that's originally 18 x 28 into the same area as a picture that is 22 x 22, or some of my artwork would look pretty squashed.

Stephanie Bartee

• 13 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
You're not listening!(reading, whatever) I'm not going to use picnik, or some other application to resize my pictures, I just want to be able to resize them the way I always have, there was nothing wrong with that way.

READ THIS NEXT PART VERY CAREFULLY. I can upload my pictures the way I usually do, but after I upload them, I cannot do ANYTHING with them. I can't even find them in the file area where all of my uploaded pictures are unless I know their exact name in order to find them with the search bar.

Why do I keep getting different people? What happened to the first person that e-mailed me? Every time a new person tries to help me, I have to completely explain everything AGAIN, and I REALLY don't like having to do that. Emmy and Andre have both e-mailed me, and I have replied to both of their e-mails, explaining the same thing I just explained to you, and I have not heard back from either of them.

Also, please no one try to get me to download any more programs, I have some of the best programs a person can ask for, and I also know how to use them. I don't need for anyone to tell me the same thing about picnik, and how to resize my images. I want the problem fixed, and don't ask me what problem, just look at the 2nd paragraph in this post.

Sorry if I am upsetting anybody with the tone I am writing in, but this is getting really old, really fast. This all could be resolved if everyone would stop for a second and try to figure out what the actual problem is, instead of throwing the most bizarre and inane ideas out there and hoping that I buy it. When something goes wrong you should fix the problem, not try to come up with a way to bypass it, and make your day easier.
Photo of jeremy

jeremy, Employee

• 1349 Posts
  • 90 Reply Likes
Hi there Stephanie,

Don't worry, I wont ask you to re-try Picnik ;)

You say you can't find your images in your file manager unless you search for their names? I would suggest creating folders in your file manager to organize it better. (though this will mean you will have to re-add your images to your site as the file path to them will be different so it could be quite a process)
This will make your file manager a little easier to navigate and new images easier to find. It is often difficult to find newly uploaded images if your file manager is full of other images (especially if they have similar file names)

You are also saying that you can't do anything with them. Are you unable to add them to your pages? If you could give me more detail on this I can assist you with it.

You can resize your images using HTML and it will work fine but unfortunately it will just stretch them or shrink them and if the resolution isn't good the image will pixelate or display incorrectly. This is where image resizing programs come in, especially if you have detailed images like yours are. I use Photoshop extensively to re-size all my images before I upload them and I would suggest you do the same... It is just easier that way and you don't have to deal with HTML

You can either go for the quick fix and change the HTML (or indeed drag your images larger or smaller using the tabs on the side of the images) but unfortunately your images won't always display the way you want them to.

I hope this helps.

Jeremy.

P.s. You get different reps as we have numerous people on our support team who are all helping out. We also work with different time zones which is why you may not have heard back from André or Emmy.

Stephanie Bartee

• 13 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I do use photoshop, and make them just a little bit bigger that what I need them, then shrink them down, I like doing it that way. As I already said, yes, I can upload them, but no, I cannot do ANYTHING with them after that, not even delete them.

The reason I can't find anything is because it only shows 20 pictures and the scrollbar doesn't work.

And no, I CANNOT use the tabs on the side of the images, because it won't let me click on the picture to do so. That, sir, IS the problem.

Why doesn't anyone pay attention?
Photo of Marije

Marije, Official Rep

• 4636 Posts
  • 237 Reply Likes
Hi Stephanie - could you post the following information so that we can sort this out:
1. What browser are you using? Please make sure it's a supported browser: http://www.yola.com/customer-support/....
2. Can you give me the file name of one or two of the files that are not displaying/deleting for you.

Thank you.

Stephanie Bartee

• 13 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Internet explorer. All of them, how can I make that any clearer? And I don't know what you guys did, but it's fixed, thank your to whomever fixed the problem.
Photo of Sanja

Sanja

• 10698 Posts
  • 495 Reply Likes
I'm glad to hear that all is working fine again and you can resume editing your photos.