Why can't we edit the header & footer?

• Question
  • Updated 10 years ago
I was checking out DevHub which is a very new sitebuilder just like Yola and its only been up a few months. But yet it gives the option to edit the header & footer code, No 'make your own site at yola' at the bottom of every page. Look at this page DevHub Affiliates . The amount of useful tools! I just think Yola could take a few ideas from them before they start losing users.
Photo of Connor McCarra

Connor McCarra, Champion

• 944 Posts
  • 47 Reply Likes
  • undecided

Posted 11 years ago

Photo of Alex

Alex

• 3448 Posts
  • 39 Reply Likes
i agree that ite fotter is better but i like Yola, im more comfy using it. so your not loosing me as a customer!
Photo of Emmy

Emmy

• 5892 Posts
  • 299 Reply Likes
Hello Connor,

Thank you for your feedback.

While we do not have the option to remove the footer at this time, we understand the importance of making this choice available. We are working on the legal and technical requirements to add the removal of the footer for a small fee in an upcoming release.

We look forward to this and other improvements of our service.

Kind Regards,
Emmy
Photo of Connor McCarra

Connor McCarra, Champion

• 944 Posts
  • 47 Reply Likes
But how do other website's like DevHub remove the footer let you edit it and all for free? I don't think many people would like to pay or would pay do remove something other sites take away for free?
Photo of Alex

Alex

• 3448 Posts
  • 39 Reply Likes
its okay!
Photo of Peter

Peter

• 2569 Posts
  • 113 Reply Likes
If you deliberately change the template for the purpose of obliterating the footer, then you are violating the "Terms of Service" you agreed to when you signed up with Yola. That's a binding .

Yola would have every right to remove your site and possibly cancel your subscription.

Something to keep in mind.
Photo of Connor McCarra

Connor McCarra, Champion

• 944 Posts
  • 47 Reply Likes
I'm not looking for a workaround or anything illegal! I'm just saying it's a feature that others provide and I don't want Yola to get stuck behind!
Photo of Peter

Peter

• 2569 Posts
  • 113 Reply Likes
It is a feature that others have asked for and there is a workaround in the pipeline. Commented on numerous times in this forum.

The proposed workaround is for a payment for the templates without Footers. Hope this helps Connor. Hate to see your face removed from here :)
Photo of Alex

Alex

• 3448 Posts
  • 39 Reply Likes
well my code doesnt get rid of the yola footer it puts text undrneath it! thats not against the "terms of service" is it!
al
Photo of Peter

Peter

• 2569 Posts
  • 113 Reply Likes
I wouldn't have thought so Alex. maybe OK.Wait for an official on this one.
PS: I'd be careful of breaking the page also. i haven't tried but would hate to put an index or a whole site in the never never.

Hope your new site is going well and comes live without a problem. I think we're all looking forward to it A.

Good luck. (Chok dii!)
Photo of Alex

Alex

• 3448 Posts
  • 39 Reply Likes
thanks peter about the site, yes the code may break any HTML on ya page. oops!
Photo of Frostbytez

Frostbytez

• 180 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
Yes, T.O.S will not allow you to remove a link back to there site. Its business sense, of course if i had a site such as yola i would make a link back.
Removing a link back will cause termination of your account.
Photo of Ed-a-Torials @ Honey Bear Playhomes

Ed-a-Torials @ Honey Bear Playhomes, Champion

• 2582 Posts
  • 279 Reply Likes
Alex it would be wise for you to remove the reply with the code and in the future to refrain from posting anything which has to do with showing or telling other users how to do things on their sites which directly go against the Terms of service and can in effect cause YOUR and THEIR sites to be shut down.

While you may have thought you were being a help in truth it can only cause more problems to disclose any information which can harm YOLA or go against the Terms of service.

Ed
Photo of Alex

Alex

• 3448 Posts
  • 39 Reply Likes
well ed it puts text "UNDER" the footer so you can wright "UNDER" the footer.
Photo of UK Duke

UK Duke, Champion

• 3321 Posts
  • 213 Reply Likes
Alex - i told you this - i dint say tell everyone - its actually a very odd way to do what you trying to do - your just missing out the /table so the table never ends - not good code practice at all- The better way wuld be to white out links with css - i say keep the footer, whats the problem? - I am willing to display it for the free use of the BEST website builder - only if you have paid for a domain through Yola, then you should get the option to remove it. This policy needs looking at.

Lee.
Photo of Alex

Alex

• 3448 Posts
  • 39 Reply Likes
oops, i will remove it!"
Photo of Monique

Monique, VP of Customer Support

• 6294 Posts
  • 446 Reply Likes
Just a warning about whiting out links with CSS:

Doing this can trigger the search engine filters for spam or black-hat SEO. It's referred to as link cloaking, and could cause penalties for your site.
Photo of UK Duke

UK Duke, Champion

• 3321 Posts
  • 213 Reply Likes
my Yola links are loud and proud http://hexham.info
Photo of Greg

Greg

• 14 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I have no problem with the Yola links/info and I pay for my domain. If you ran a huge business, you PROBABLY wouldn't make the website yourself and thus would have a designer/design company create one and THEIR mark would be at the bottom instead. It's okay and customers would hardly ever look way down there anyways. It's just a small ad that only people interested in the design of the layout or other similar info would see, and that is really who those ads are advertising to. Plus, anything offensive would ultimately need to be made a contact to the creator...which in this case is ultimately Yola and why they have you agree to their terms.
Photo of Emmy

Emmy

• 5892 Posts
  • 299 Reply Likes
Official Response
Hello,

You will be happy to know that the option to remove the Yola Link at the bottom of your page has now been implemented. You can remove the Yola Link (footer) from all the sites in your account for 9.95 USD per year.

For more information, please see: Awesome Yola Features.

Please note: if the style has a credit to the designer, this cannot be removed due licensing requirements. To see styles that do not have design credit, see: Yola Style Guide.

Emmy