Why do I get a "Publishing is temporarily unavailable" message when attempting to publish my site?

• Question
  • Updated 11 years ago
We have had intermittent load issues on the servers hosting your
published sites in the last few day, which in some cases could have
resulted in people who access your sites seeing either a blank page or
a "500 Server Error". This does not persist, and if they refresh or
come back later it usually is all okay. We are working hard to make
that problem go away altogether.

In order to reduce load we have made a decision to temporarily disable
publishing. This means that your hosted sites are far more available
(and unlikely to get the errors outlined above) but that you will not
be able to update your sites at the moment.

We will keep you informed of what is going on, and thank you for your
patience in this matter. We are committed to regaining our good uptime
reputation.
Photo of lisaretief

lisaretief

• 114 Posts
  • 21 Reply Likes
  • sorry

Posted 11 years ago

Photo of Princess

Princess

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
So with this decision to disable publishing, how long have you deciding to have this disabled? I need to make updates by tonight. Please advise.
Thank you,
Stephanie
Photo of Emmy

Emmy

• 5892 Posts
  • 299 Reply Likes
Hello Princess,
I am unable to give you a definitive answer as to when this will be resolved. Rest assured this is our top priority! We will keep you informed of what is going on and appreciate your patience.

Regards,
Emmy
Photo of Grace

Grace, Champion

• 361 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes

i will wait for this error to fix..thanks
Photo of Emmy

Emmy

• 5892 Posts
  • 299 Reply Likes
We appreciate your patience!
Photo of Grace

Grace, Champion

• 361 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
All the time, Emmy. I will update now my site so kindly inform if Synthasite already fix this thing.
Photo of lambofgod

lambofgod

• 875 Posts
  • 35 Reply Likes
Whatcha guys doin?
Just curious-Dan
Photo of southpoint shore

southpoint shore

• 30 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
whew....... I thought it was something I was doing! I'll stop trying to publish for now. Good luck!
Photo of Bengo

Bengo

• 308 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
Take it from a person with long experience in business -- anyone whose loyalty is that thin is likely not someone you want as a customer anyway. You'll spend all your time dealing with tantrums and threats.

That said, are you adding server capacity? It's easy for me to tell you how to budget, but it seems essential to have emergency reserve capacity, perhaps through a third party as well as your own infrastructure.

Also, if users try to reduce publishing to, say, once at end of work session, will that help during this situation?
Photo of Teena

Teena

• 19 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
there is one huge difference between synthasite and 110mb.com though. Synthasite offers free unlimited bandwidth. Unlimited bandwidth is vital for my site. I simply cannot keep my site going on 300G per month. I think i'm just going to stick it out here.
Photo of Monique

Monique, VP of Customer Support

• 6294 Posts
  • 446 Reply Likes
@ Bengo: good questions. We have a great engineering team who monitor our infrastructure (I have to brag about them because I see how hard they work everyday). We most definitely have back up servers. This is how we were able to switch over quickly last night and prevent any loss of data. We trust that publishing will be restored soon and everything will be back to normal. Obviously we don't feel good about this and we are really sorry for the inconvenience this has caused to many people. But we also know that these things happen which is why we have contingency plans in place :) We appreciate your loyal support and hope that your and everyone else's patience will be rewarded!
Photo of Teena

Teena

• 19 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
any update on when publishing will be back?
Photo of Monique

• 6294 Posts
  • 446 Reply Likes
I am afraid I can't give you a time estimate right now. All I can tell you is that this is our top priority and our engineers are working as hard as they can to resolve the problem as quickly as possible. Once we have any further news we will let you know.
Photo of Teena

Teena

• 19 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Thank you for your response, the main reason I asked was that we didn't realize publishing was down until we went to make updates to our site and tried to publish. We have been sitting here with the site manager page open not wanting to loose all of our work if it was only going to be a few hours. Since it seems it is going to be longer we will just close it out and redo it when publishing comes back. Not a major issue, I fully understand these issues take time to resolve.

Thank you for your promptness and professionalism in this matter. I'm sure it has been very stressful on you all as representatives. It has been my experience in customer service that many consumers are not very patient or kind during these times of unavoidable down times. May I make one small suggestion, however. In the future might it be possible to alert site owners of the inability to publish either by a notice on our editing page or via email prior to us making changes to our site. Thankfully for us none of our updates are difficult or overly time consuming to reproduce at a later time, but I know not everyone is in the same situation.
Photo of Marije

Marije, Official Rep

• 4636 Posts
  • 237 Reply Likes
Hi Teena - if your page is saved, then your updated content will still be there when you next login to your account on SynthaSite. You don't need to click on the 'Update my Site' button to save any changes. If there are unsaved changes, the Site Builder will prompt you to save as you logout. You'll know you can save the page when you see a red dot next to the word 'Page' on the SynthaSite toolbar, then click on the 'Save' button to save your changes. If your Save button is greyed out, then it doesn't require a save!
Photo of Monique

• 6294 Posts
  • 446 Reply Likes
Teena: thank you so much for your patience and understanding. It means a lot to us. We realize that you are inconvenienced by this, and it is great that you are still willing to work with us. As soon as we let you know that publishing is back up, simply log in and open your site and click the "Update my Site" button and all your changes will go live straight away - so at least your work won't be lost. Sorry we did not make this clearer (we will learn for next time)
Photo of Teena

Teena

• 19 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
That is wonderful to know, thank you :) I have saved and closed without worry now.
Photo of Bengo

Bengo

• 308 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
@Monique: If you think highly of your staff, I bet they will come out of the episode better informed and more prepared than ever. I have been with Synthasite since January 08 and run over 500 pages of web sites. Most of the problems I have had have been my own. Nothing of consequence traces back to the company. I don't think it's too much to have to roll with the rare bad weekend. Obviously, some people may have had different experiences, and I respect that, but I won't lose any sleep, and I hope your engineering team doesn't get too stressed. Thank you for keeping us all informed.

I do sympathize with those others who are posting on deadline to a readership, but a couple of weeks ago, our power went out for three days due to an ice storm. I got a generator running but we were late with our postings and only recovered last Thursday. No one has written us angry mail. That's with over 1200 visitors/day, average. I know many have more, but people understand if you are honest with them. Even some of the biggest sites have technical problems. Today we got an out-of-the-blue Christmas gift from a reader in the UK. It's visible at LilNyet.com. Maybe it will cheer some people up. (scroll to the bottom of the page)
Photo of Monique

• 6294 Posts
  • 446 Reply Likes
Thanks for this great post. The quality of your insights demonstrates that you understand a thing or two about web services :) We are calmly working through this one, and trying to keep in touch with the users at the same time. Rest assured that seconds after we know anything you will too :) We are also especially concerned for those whose businesses are affected by this situation and fully sympathize with the frustrations people express over this.

Is the Xmas present the cool artwork? It is fabulous :)
Photo of Bengo

Bengo

• 308 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
Yes, the artwork. Quite a surprise from a stranger.
Photo of lisaretief

lisaretief

• 114 Posts
  • 21 Reply Likes
Official Response
I have some updates for you.

Firstly, the ability to update your live site (publish) is now turned on again.

We have taken steps to reduce the overall load on the environment that was having problems, and are working hard to get to a position where we feel 100% comfortable that we can handle anything that comes our way in terms of demand for the systems.

However, while we are doing that, we are going to prioritize the availability of your hosted sites. So if we pick up that any of the viewers of your published sites are getting errors, we will disable publishing again.

We will keep you informed and thank you again for your patience.
Photo of Boomer

Boomer, Champion

• 2055 Posts
  • 84 Reply Likes
I worked 10 hours solid on one of my sites last night WITHOUT any hicups until the tech problem. At first I thought it was some bug in my code causing the loading issues and thought I may have to delete the page I was working on. After peeping
in on GS I saw the commotion and was really relieved to find out it was on
your side. LOL

And hey Monique, if I've lost all my work, I'll track you down.. ha, ha.

I headed on over to 110mb.com just to check out the opposition (or competition). Don't worry I'm not leaving ......

I signed up for a free account more than an 4 hour's ago and after waiting about half an hour for the confirmation email, I resubmitted my request and guess what...
I'm still waiting.

From what I can tell, here's what you get with those guys.

- You get 5GB DISK space for free. (SynthaSite = unlimited)

- Max file upload = 8MB. (SynthaSite is now 15MB I think)

- You may not have more than 5 accounts unless EVERYONE of them
have at least 1 paid upgrade feature on them. (SynthaSite = unlimited)

- Own Domain Allowed = 1

I currently have 3 accounts and 9 sites (some test) with Synthasite.

I'm sure they have a few good features that SynthaSite doesn't. I'm not even gonna bother to check them out. I'm pretty happy here and I can't believe they could ever beat the excellent service and support on GS. 110mb's forum looks really crap as well.

In todays IT world everybody has technical problems at some or other time.
I should know, I'm an electronic's engineer in the service industry myself.
Hey shit happens..

And CL, I see you signed up on GS quite some time back (15 May 2008).
That's longer than most of us here. You must have seen some good in SynthaSite over that period of time... (according to your posts and replies it doesn't seem that way though). Maybe a thank you is in order before you go.. (just a little one..)
Don't burn your bridges!

Me personally, (and I'm going to be wrapped over the knuckles for this I'm sure) would love to see you go. Maybe it was that "bait and switch tactics" remark you made a while back. Go give 110mb a hard time, you go girl ...cheers Doc.
Photo of Monique

• 6294 Posts
  • 446 Reply Likes
Thanks Boomer. Hope you didn't lose any work. If you did you know where to find me :)
Photo of SanRamon

SanRamon

• 6 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Hi,

My sites are NOT viewable online when I type in the URLs! I just sent some support messages from each site.

Not only that, I can't update as I get the "Sorry, something's wrong message"

Wish I could see my websites online again!!
Photo of Monique

• 6294 Posts
  • 446 Reply Likes
Hi. As Lisa indicated in her last post, we are continuing to monitor the situation and work for a permanent solution while trying to keep published sites online. We are having difficulties at the moment, but our engineers are working on it and will update us as soon as there is any further news.
Photo of lisaretief

lisaretief

• 114 Posts
  • 21 Reply Likes
Hello,

We have just disabled publishing again. We are making progress on getting things in proper order, but as stressed before we want to keep your published sites available to the world.

Lisa
Photo of lisaretief

lisaretief

• 114 Posts
  • 21 Reply Likes
Official Response
Hi all,

Publishing is now on. We will be watching it very closely but have taken some definite steps towards addressing a very frustrating issue, and I am cautiously optimistic.

Will keep you updated.

Lisa
Photo of KanThaiDecor

KanThaiDecor

• 2402 Posts
  • 263 Reply Likes
My site is working very very fast again in all phases for me.
Photo of Leighton

Leighton

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
That's good. I'm kind of newish and have been looking for a place to make my website. I'm glad I found Synthasite, but when I tried to publish my page, it didn't work. So I'm glad you guys are fixing it.

Leighton(L8on)
Photo of Aidan

Aidan

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Yeah I got this window when I hit Publish... The publishing keeps going down and up and my site needs to be updated cause it will be embarasing if someone sees it when its not updated...
Photo of Aidan

Aidan

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Its up again! Yay!!
Photo of Teena

Teena

• 19 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I must say Synthasite is awesome! I was able to publish all of my saved work with out a problem earlier. Not to mention you guys are some of the most dedicated support team I've seen in a long time. I fully understand problems are going to occur from time time and when the unfortunate does happens you guys are right on top of it. While not being able to publish can be a bit inconvenient sometimes I much appreciate the availability of our sites being up being prioritized first. I say a big thank you to everyone on your team for your professionalism and dedication to your users.
Photo of Bengo

Bengo

• 308 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
My comic update at LilNyet.com published successfully. I can wait to publish my other large sites until things have had a chance to stabilize. Thank you for keeping us up to date.