Error opening page due to special character in page name

• Question
  • Updated 5 years ago
  • Answered
  • (Edited)
I get this "Unfortunately, there is a problem opening your page." I cannot open one of pages of my website. Does anybody know what could be the problem?

Photo of Jack

Jack

• 81 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
  • frustrated

Posted 5 years ago

Photo of Laura Thomas

Laura Thomas, Social Media Coordinator

• 4536 Posts
  • 211 Reply Likes
Hi Jack,

That error is typically due to bad HTML code copied and pasted into your website. It's possible you may need to delete the page from your navigation and rebuild it. I'm happy to take a look for you but I was unable to find an account for the email address associated with the forum.
Photo of Jack

Jack

• 81 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
My e-mail is pjck@poczta.onet.pl (I have different on the forum, I don't remember why - it was years ago).

There is no HTML, nothing on that page yet. It's only a title. It's been deleted - it didn't help.
Photo of Lyall

Lyall, Official Rep

• 142 Posts
  • 10 Reply Likes
Hi Jack,

I have renamed your page to zasilki and added the special character version of the page name (zasiłki) to the Label and Hover Text fields in the Sitebuilder. The page now loads and if displayed in your navigation bar, will display the special character version of the page name.

URLs do not contain capital letters, spaces or special characters. As a result, you cannot name your pages with these attributes. You will need to use plain text and numbers in your page URL.

Adding the special character versions of your page names as I have however, allows you to properly display your pages as you want. Here are the steps:

- In your Sitebuilder, go to Page > Page Properties > Navigation OR hover over your menu navigation > Edit Menu.
- A dialog box will open up with a list of all your pages. Click on the blue link that says "Edit".
- You will see two boxes that say "Label" and "Hover Text". The Label is the name that appears in the navigation menu of your site. Hover Text is the text that pops up when someone moves their mouse pointer to one of the tabs in your navigation. Type in your desired text in those two boxes.
- Click "OK" and your navigation will be updated with the changes you made.
Photo of Jack

Jack

• 81 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Thanks! Its'working now!
Photo of beretandboina

beretandboina

• 9 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled
Pages won't open.

Pages won't open in Site-builder. I continue to get the message "Unfortunately, there is a problem opening your page", when trying to open some pages in site-builder. Other pages open fine. Tried logging out and in again, emptying cache, etc, but no result.
Photo of Laura Thomas

Laura Thomas, Social Media Coordinator

• 4536 Posts
  • 211 Reply Likes
Hi beretandboina,

Please see Lyall's response above regarding the error you are seeing and let us know if that solves the problem.
Photo of Jack

Jack

• 81 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Yes it does.
Photo of Stefan

Stefan, Official Rep

• 4448 Posts
  • 190 Reply Likes
Official Response
Hello all

I'm happy to hear that you've successfully used this workaround.

Please note: When you create a new page in future, rather don't use any special characters for your page name. Your page name will be your page URL, and page URLs shouldn't include any special characters.

However, if you use the default navigation menu of a Style Template, you can certainly label your page names and the hover text with special characters. To do this, go to the Page Manager (Page > Page Properties > Navigation), scroll to the respective page, and click on "Edit". Now you can add a label you want, with or without special characters. This will display for your menu links on the pages of your website. The page URL will not include any special characters.

If you have any questions, please let me know.