Why uploaded files on my site are not possible to download? Err 404?

• Question
  • Updated 9 years ago
  • Answered
I have uploaded a fewe files on my site (cestadhammy.yolasite.com). Some of this files are possible to download, while others are not. I always get: "Eror 404, the page seems that cannot to be found..." But when I tried to download same files yesterday, everything was OK.
What shall I do to improve download availability of files?
Photo of Bhikkhu

Bhikkhu

• 4 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
  • FRUSTRATED!!!

Posted 9 years ago

Photo of UK Duke

UK Duke, Champion

• 3321 Posts
  • 213 Reply Likes
Hi Bhikkhu,

Either the URL of the file exsists or it does not.

Anything else would be a internet connection issue.

If you leave your site URL and point us towards the files which dont always download, we can help you further.

Lee.
Photo of Bhikkhu

Bhikkhu

• 4 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Thank you for helping me. You can have a look for example at page (on my site: http://cestadhammy.yolasite.com) titled "Preklady" and files names are "Ordinačná procedúra.doc", "Štyri vznešené stavy.doc" and "Vyrovnávanie en-ko.doc"
Thaks in advance.
Sati
Photo of Sanja

Sanja, Official Rep

• 10698 Posts
  • 495 Reply Likes
Hi bhikkhu

The special characters that you have in your file name is causing this problem. Try changing the file name in your file manager so that it does not have any special characters. Then, add your file again to your site. You should hopefully see this problem resolved. Please let us know if you continue to have these issues.
Photo of UK Duke

UK Duke, Champion

• 3321 Posts
  • 213 Reply Likes
Hi,

there is a good chance that the files that are not working correctly have a problem because of the characters used in the file name.

If you rename the files and link to the new file name it should work fine.
i.e. dont have the things above the letters - just use a english letter instead.

Let me know if it works out.

Lee.
Photo of UK Duke

UK Duke, Champion

• 3321 Posts
  • 213 Reply Likes
PS - your site looks great. :)
Photo of Bhikkhu

Bhikkhu

• 4 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Dear friends, "littleus" and "UK Duke",
thaks a lots! You are my savior. I renamed my files and it works. While the original files are still not possible to download, the new ones work fine. So I will rename all files with diacritical marks. May you be well and happy.
Your friend, Bhante Satindriyo (a buddhist monk from Slovakia, recently living in Thailand).
PS: Sorry for my english
Photo of Sanja

Sanja, Official Rep

• 10698 Posts
  • 495 Reply Likes
I'm so glad that this issue was easily resolved. =)
Photo of Bhikkhu

Bhikkhu

• 4 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
But now I've got another problem?
How could I mark this problem as "solved"?
Thanks
Photo of Sanja

Sanja, Official Rep

• 10698 Posts
  • 495 Reply Likes
Good question Bhikkhu... I'm not sure if you can mark it as solved. You can however select "this answers the question".