Why won't Google Webmaster Verify my site?

• Question
  • Updated 7 years ago
  • Answered
I need help getting Google Webmaster to Verify my domain name through Yola. I did read the tutorial, but Google Webmaster still cannot Verify my site.
Photo of Christina Szeman

Christina Szeman

• 10 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
  • indifferent

Posted 11 years ago

Photo of Peter

Peter

• 2569 Posts
  • 113 Reply Likes
Hello Christina,

The Google Webmasters verification is fresh in my mind. I had to re-do mine a couple of hours ago.

It seems very complex i know. Is there a place in the tutorial that you were in any doubt about? This may be a good place to pick up from.

In the meanitme I'll pick the points I feel are the most problematic and apologise if I'm going over aspects you had no problems with.

Let start at the third screen in the Tutorial:

The actual relevant code causes a lot of people confusion: It's as the image demonstrates simply that section between the quotation marks including the = sign.

You then simply paste it into the area marked in the builder. labelled Google Webmaster Code

Now return to the Webmaster verification page and click Verify

\If this is successful a message will appear with a golden aura. If this isn't successful. Click the Verify button again. Google often fails on first attempt presumably due to load.

If this still hasn't worked for you. Please get back to us here and we'll review again.. i'm fairly confident that this will be successful and then you are on to the next step of submitting a sitemap.

I wish you luck with this and will wait to hear your outcome.

Christina Szeman

• 10 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Peter,

I did do that and Google Webmaster still doesn't want to verify my site.
Photo of Kasaine Eddy

Kasaine Eddy

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
Thank you so much. i was copy pasting the whole code. thanx a lot
Photo of jitendra

jitendra

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
We weren't able to verify your site: http://www.fashionsymbol.com/

whats mean in this massege,why not our site verify can you tell me sir.....................
Photo of Sanja

Sanja

• 10698 Posts
  • 495 Reply Likes
Hello jtendra,

If you are having trouble getting your site to verify there are a few reasons why this could be happening.
1. Make sure that you have entered the proper code into the Google Webmaster field. You only need to enter the text that is between the " " and nothing else; it will look something like this: XlBMeWkrAxWIJtD5n3C3N8Zv09QKKl3R1MaoZnssKA0
2. Make sure you clicked the "Publish to the web" button after you entered the code. This will apply the change to your site so Google can crawl it.
3. If you have done both of these things and are still not able to verify your site, you may have entered your URL in incorrectly. My suggestion would be to go back through the tutorial and redo the steps to make sure each part was done properly. Here is a link to the tutorial: Google Webmaster Tutorial.
4. You might also want to watch our very informative webcast on this topic on Yola.tv.
Photo of Peter

Peter

• 2569 Posts
  • 113 Reply Likes
OK,

What do you feel we can do about this. I'm happy to take your lead?

Would you like to take it from the top?

Christina Szeman

• 10 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Peter,

I forgot to mention that I have my own domain through a Registry. So that might have something to do with why I can't get Verification through Google Webmaster.

I asked the same question to Google Webmaster Tools and this is what they said:

"What domain are you trying to verify?

Because you are using frames, you need to verify the site that is "holding" the frames, not the content inside the frames.

Does that make sense?"

And this one:

"The meta tag needs to be on the site you want to verify, http://www.gimmesomespam.com, it is not on your site. In your browser, go to VIEW and select source, it';s not there. It may be on http://gimmesomespam.yolasite.com/ but that has nothing to do with getting http://www.gimmesomespam.com. If all yola offers is framed hosting like this, I'd dump them in about 2 minutes and get a real host so your content can be on your domain and not in some frame that they own.
Visit http://gimmesomespam.yolasite.com/

"

So now what do I do? Besides, I did follow the Yola Tutorial. But Google Webmaster will still not let me do it.

Sincerely,
Christina Szeman
Photo of grazia

grazia

• 19 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
I would like to pubblish my new website in google but my account is bronze in Yola and does not accept meta tag!! How can i pubblish my site?
Photo of lambofgod

lambofgod

• 875 Posts
  • 35 Reply Likes
Are you sure you put the code in this box?

I just want to make sure.

Christina Szeman

• 10 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Hello,

As I mentioned before I did that and Google Webmaster still will not verify my website.

It might have to do with the fact that I have my own domain name through Yola.com. It`s https://www.gimmesomespam.com. Now how do I verify this site through Google Webmaster?
Photo of Peter

Peter

• 2569 Posts
  • 113 Reply Likes
Hi Christina,

i think i've seen the reason why.

The "=" sign hasn't been included in the code
"hmFdxwAPmBz+4XQcRF0tX2bGGZKjrC3kZ8TU3dtlb8M"

It should be:

"hmFdxwAPmBz+4XQcRF0tX2bGGZKjrC3kZ8TU3dtlb8M="

So the easiest way to remedy this is to simply go into the properties sidebar. Google Webmaster Code and add the = sign to the end of the string

Good luck with this and please don't hesitate to get back to me if there's anything else or if there is still a problem.

Christina Szeman

• 10 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Peter,

I've even tried that and it doesn't work.

Christina Szeman

• 10 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Peter,

This is the message that I get from Google after I click "Verify": We weren't able to verify your site. Did you add the meta tag to the following URL: http://www.gimmesomespam.com/?.
Photo of Peter

Peter

• 2569 Posts
  • 113 Reply Likes
Hi Christina,

There's still a problem. What you have added is the content including the quotation marks.

You only add the characters between the quotation marks including the = sign, but not including the quotation marks them selves as I can see you have added.

So the string that you must capture is:

uh6mprBY0L2KM8mpyi9ehagGyQRpqqDEcREYCC7aKn4=

I know this is very frustrating for you but you're nearly there I feel.

Christina Szeman

• 10 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Peter,

I tried it and Google still will not verify it. It's nothing to do with where or how I put the meta tag. It's probably because Google will not recognize their meta tag on the Yola side bar. Google will only recognize meta tags with this . Plus, my site is NOT http://gimmesomespam.yolasite.com, it's http://www.gimmesomespam.com, That probably has something to do with it.

I've tried everything that you all mentioned so far, and I am still getting the same response. Is there a way that I can go into my site's html and put the whole meta tag in there?
Photo of Peter

Peter

• 2569 Posts
  • 113 Reply Likes
Christina,

Unfortunately we don't have access to the head of the document so the answer on that one is no.

I have just noticed something of interest. When I look at your site source it 's all referring to the yoalsite sub-domain and not your domain. Even your sitemap refers to the yolasite sub-domain.

i've sent an email to the support staff on this issue so i hope that this can clarify the situation here.

Christina Szeman

• 10 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Peter,

Thanks for your help. I am new and I don't know much about Html or websites.
Photo of lambofgod

lambofgod

• 875 Posts
  • 35 Reply Likes
Have you republished your site when you inserted the new code?

Christina Szeman

• 10 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Iambofgod,

No I am still having the same problem and it is because I registered my domain with an unpopular Domain Name site. I would like to fix that one first.
Photo of lambofgod

lambofgod

• 875 Posts
  • 35 Reply Likes
To be honest, I was a little worried at first because your website name can be misleading. I have known sites like (trojansforu.com and viruscentral.com) So you may want to consider something like spamlookout or stopspammingscams or something. But if you want to keep it I agree why you would. Also, I am getting lost about why the Webmaster code doesn't work. It's really weird and frustrating. Also reread Jeremy's comment and make sure you have done everything correctly.
Photo of Peter

Peter

• 2569 Posts
  • 113 Reply Likes
Christina,

I don't understand why you have published your domain really as an iframe of the sub-domain.

I noticed that the commentator from Google mentioned this.
This is a problem and you need to publish the domain as a complete entity for the sake of the verification. It's an interesting way of doing it but I wonder what the reason is. Maybe something that I'm missing here.

once you get this fixed I'm sure that the following the verification procedure as documented will be a breeze.

Good luck with this.
Photo of jeremy

jeremy, Employee

• 1349 Posts
  • 90 Reply Likes
Official Response
Hi there Christina,
I am sorry you are having this problem.

I checked your domain and gimmesomespam.com does not seem to be functioning correctly - (it is not pointing at Yola's IP address). Your Google webmaster will not work if your site hasn't been published correctly and your subdomain does not seem to be re-directing to your custom domain see http://gimmesomespam.yolasite.com

How did you set it up your domain with your Yola site?

We have a tutorial outlining the steps to configuring your domain, giving two popular domain name registrars as examples: Using a Domain Name not purchased through Yola.

There are also instructions on how to use ZoneEdit if your domain name registrar does not provide you with domain name management. However, most domain name registrars can assist you with an A record, in which case you would not need to use a third party service like ZoneEdit.

These are general instructions on how to configure your domain to point to Yola. If you require specific help with the interface of your domain name registrar, please contact them for support.

How to configure a domain name you already own:

1. Log in to your chosen domain registrar (eg. GoDaddy.com, Register.com).
2. Go to the DNS Management page.
3. Set up an A Record.
4. The IP address of your record must point to: "208.75.208.172"

If you would like your domain to work correctly with the "www" prefix you need to make sure that your DNS settings are configured correctly to support the "www" prefix. For this you need to set up two A-records; one with the hostname "@" and one with the hostname "www". Both should point to our IP address: 208.75.208.172. If you require assistance with this, please contact your domain registrar.

Please note that it can take up to 48 hours (although usually less) for these changes to take effect and you need to contact your domain registrar if you need help in that regard. Feel free to forward any instructions you receive from them to us so that we can advise you further.

Once you have configured your DNS settings, click the yellow "Publish My Site" button in Yola, then click on "I already own a domain name". Fill in your domain name and follow the prompts to publish your site. (If your site is already published, click the drop down arrow next to the "Update my Site" button, and then select "publishing settings" and you will see an option to add a domain you already own.)

You should then be able to register your domain with Google Webmaster.

Please let me know if you need any more assistance with this.
Photo of meetoloveu2

meetoloveu2

• 8 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
hi friends i have Verify my site in Google Webmaster i have verify in meta tag but i don't know what is the deffrent between the meta tag and THML Verifying so can u tell me wat is more good and i have and i have submit sitemap
Photo of Emmy

Emmy

• 5892 Posts
  • 299 Reply Likes
Hello meetoloveu2,
You need to use the meta tag to verify your site with Google Webmaster because it is not possible to upload the html file. Have you had a chance to read through our tutorial, here is a link: Google Webmaster Tutorial. This will step you through the process of verifying your site and submitting a sitemap. Please take a look at this and go through the steps then let us know if you have any problems.

Kind Regards,
Emmy
Photo of KanThaiDecor

KanThaiDecor

• 2402 Posts
  • 263 Reply Likes
Hi Emmy...Google just recently changed their look in Web Master Tools...It is more or less the same but the new look not exactly matching your tutorial might be a little confusing to site builders new to the process.
Photo of Emmy

Emmy

• 5892 Posts
  • 299 Reply Likes
Hi John,
Thanks for letting us know about the change! I will make sure we get our documentation updated.

Emmy
Photo of meetoloveu2

meetoloveu2

• 8 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
and i want to know in my Sitemaps are included in Google's index.
Photo of meetoloveu2

meetoloveu2

• 8 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
plz help me bcoz i'm new in yola web and thank uuuuuuuu so mush
Photo of cmattingly

cmattingly

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
My main domain - www.macesite.com is not being verified by Google. All methods have been tried several times over a 4 week time period. I get Google search results, and page ranking, but not the website verification which is needed for "other Google" applications. The domain and site has been functing well over many years. Any Suggestions?
Photo of grazia

grazia

• 19 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
I would like to pubblish my website and I also tried several times! Please I need help!
Photo of grazia

grazia

• 19 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
This is the website www.settimanalechlecha.org
Photo of Gop

Gop

• 7473 Posts
  • 2115 Reply Likes
Please see your other thread.