Wish Yola used better forum (support) software

• Question
  • Updated 8 years ago
  • Answered
I wish that Yola would use better forum software than Get Satisfaction. Both IBS and vBulletin are infinitely superior. GS kinda, sorta does the job but it is very limited. Just now I was trying to find something by using the "Search" function but, as usual, it was hopeless. I was looking for a topic that came up just a week or so ago, but almost all the Search results consisted of threads that were a year old. A lot of the utility of the forum is lost when you can't retrieve previous discussions of a given topic. Or of a given poster, for that matter.
Photo of Keara

Keara

• 325 Posts
  • 14 Reply Likes

Posted 9 years ago

Photo of Keara

Keara

• 325 Posts
  • 14 Reply Likes
Monique, I received hostile comments basically from the outset. This did not encourage me to spend time developing a factual argument -- especially considering that I have a great deal on my plate at present, including a relocation to another city in the next month or two. Others did, however, offer highly articulate factual arguments in support of my main point. It hardly mattered, then, that I did not personally do so.

This has been, for me, a thoroughly discouraging exercise -- I'm sorry to learn that the simple fact of making a highly constructive suggestion has been permitted to degenerate in the fashion that it has. It's everyone's loss.
Photo of Laurynas Savickis

Laurynas Savickis

• 32 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
I was going to say few words again,but had a cup of green tea instead. :)
Photo of John McCarthy

John McCarthy

• 1292 Posts
  • 99 Reply Likes
I know its not my place to say but i'm going to post this link
Communtiy Guidelines
This post is in NO WAY aimed at any individuals,
but more as this thread in common.
Collectively a lot of replies in this thread go against the community guidelines.

Just to remind people that everyone in this forum is here to receive help,give help and feedback and not a fight :)
Your always entitled to an opinion as long as it isn't against a user in the forum.

So have fun

John Mc
Photo of miz_ginevra

miz_ginevra

• 5 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
John, thanks for reminding folks about this. It's certainly a good resource, and not meant to be directed at any individual. There's also always the Company-Customer Pact to keep in mind: http://getsatisfaction.com/ccpact
Photo of Keara

Keara

• 325 Posts
  • 14 Reply Likes
Under the circumstances, I won't be reading any further posts in this thread, and so will obviously not be replying to them. Again, this has been a thoroughly discouraging experience. Thanks again to Diane and Margie for their very constructive and informative posts.
Photo of John McCarthy

John McCarthy

• 1292 Posts
  • 99 Reply Likes
Sorry to see this has been a bad experience for you.Make sure you post a new thread if you have any questions ;)
Photo of diane

diane

• 1238 Posts
  • 121 Reply Likes
Hey, Keara, don't get discouraged! Everyone's opinions and suggestions are valued. Only a couple people framed their replies in an unpleasant fashion--don't let that get you down. I reread my posts a couple times before I hit "post reply". ;)
Photo of John McCarthy

John McCarthy

• 1292 Posts
  • 99 Reply Likes
I agree with Diane,everybody is considered as a valued part of the Yola community.Nobody's comments go unnoticed.Sometime though things can get a bit messy and can make this forum seem like a terrible place.I've seen a few in the past 2 years.But mostly Yola is a kind and caring community for all users to discuss there sites and any issues.I hope you continue using the Yola forum as I believe it is truly a great resource.
Photo of Keara

Keara

• 325 Posts
  • 14 Reply Likes
You know, before I posted this entirely sane, constructive suggestion, I was an active member of the Yola community. Yola had been, up until then, a very important part of my daily life. Since this 'discussion' took place, however, I no longer feel welcome here and hardly ever participate. What a sad outcome.
Photo of Laura Thomas

Laura Thomas, Social Media Coordinator

• 4536 Posts
  • 211 Reply Likes
Hi Keara,

We're also saddened that your suggestion of a change in forum resulted in you no longer participating in this forum. For our part, we feel like we did our best to make sure the conversation stayed constructive, though it clearly hit an emotional note for many people on this forum.

As Monique said, we are very fond of Get Satisfaction and while we have no doubt that there are benefits to other forums, a change for us would be a major undertaking and one we would need compelling reasons to look into further. As it stands, we are satisfied with the product developments we see coming from Get Satisfaction and we have no plans to change forum providers, but that does not mean that we don't appreciate your feedback on this and other topics. We would love it if you found your way back to us, but understand if you do not.
Photo of petercsea

petercsea

• 153 Posts
  • 19 Reply Likes
Hello Keara,

I hadn't seen this thread before now. I think you did a great job of putting forward a passionate argument. I don't think that you were going to win out right from the beginning because people don't like change when they've established themselves within a system. I don't think that you should feel unwelcome mate. You didn't lose face. Sure you didn't convince the majority but that's OK.

I looked at your bio and you have contributed greatly with knowledge and tips and experience. You were a leader within the forum community and you can still be i'm sure.

If this place is a place you would like to return to then many of the faces here I'm sure are new and will have no idea or interest in past history. Those non-staff who were here and didn't get into the debate i doubt will be unwelcoming.
Photo of Keara

Keara

• 325 Posts
  • 14 Reply Likes
Thanks very much, Peter. Yours is a genuinely constructive and healing response. I truly appreciate it. :-)
Photo of Keara

Keara

• 325 Posts
  • 14 Reply Likes
Laura, I'm really sorry you chose to raise every single sore subject arising out of this discussion from five months ago. Please note that I did not raise these old topics -- you are the one who did that. It would have been so nice if you had just said a few kind words as, for example, Peter did. Instead, you chose to violate the most elementary rule of peace-making -- Don't bang away at old wounds. (I think you managed to hit every single one.)

This is supposed to be a "community" forum. You could have used this as an opportunity to re-make a bit of fractured community. You chose, instead, to do the opposite.
Photo of Laura Thomas

• 4536 Posts
  • 211 Reply Likes
Hi Keara,

Wow - sometimes you get things badly wrong, and it seems that this is what I have done here. I know what my intentions were when I wrote my response, and even though I wished nothing but the best, that really doesn't matter because the impact of my words on you was so negative. I am not sure if there is anything I can say at this point that will help, other than I am really, truly sorry.
Photo of SilverX

SilverX

• 492 Posts
  • 40 Reply Likes
Hi everyone,
I came back to Yola forum after 3 months, and now I'm happy to see that this thread is growing. Both possitive and minus replies are here, but I'd like to add my one for Keara.

As I'm feeling, Yola is going for third party hosted-solutions in most times.
Mailing list: Mailchimp
Blog: Wordpress
Forum: GS
DNS: DNSmadeeasy
Forum for web sites: (third party one through iFrames)
Chat rooms: meebo

I think the time has came for Yola to implement their own things. Yola has their own servers, and of course better engineers and webmasters, but they depend on third party solutions.
Photo of Keara

Keara

• 325 Posts
  • 14 Reply Likes
Ayesh, it's good to see you. :-) On the subject of third-party solutions, it seems reasonable to me that Yola has used them. Probably for the same reason we all use them -- because they save time and money. :-) Of course, we individuals might not be able to afford the top-tier solutions, but Yola certainly can. I don't know if Yola should do as you suggest, because that might spread its resources too thin. Yola should however, always choose the best third-party solution, and nothing less. In any case, you have made a thought-provoking suggestion, as always.
Photo of Keara

Keara

• 325 Posts
  • 14 Reply Likes
Ayesh, I'm thinking more about the point you have made here. Some of the third-party software that Yola uses is pretty clunky. So I think you are right that they should either use top-notch third-party software, or invent their own.
Photo of Jean

Jean

• 134 Posts
  • 14 Reply Likes
Keara, I miss you on the Yola forum.

Even though GS would not be my personal choice of forum software, it's what we have now and where we get/give/share Yola tips and suggestions. I do hope at some point Yola will move to a more useful forum software for their customer support. For now I'll live with it.

I hope you can find your way to that place too, because I would love to have you back here posting.

ps how is your Yola site doing?

pps Margie is my former user name
Photo of Keara

Keara

• 325 Posts
  • 14 Reply Likes
Jean, it's so kind of you to reply, and especially so graciously. (And yes, I recognized you. ;-) )

Please don't think that my absence here has anything to do with Yola's choice of forum software. It's Yola's party -- they can use the software they want. Rather, my absence has been solely because of the manner in which this thread was handled.

It's obvious that I stepped on some kind of internal hornet's nest in raising this issue. After all, my post of yesterday said that I was "sad" and felt "unwelcome." A reply which is basically an extended, passionate defense of the GS software is certainly a bizarre response to that. (Really, if I did not mention the GS software yesterday, why did Laura devote her entire post to it?? Something very strange going on there.)

Jean, I cannot tell you the amount of care I had lavished on my main Yola site. I spent hundreds of hours on it, and it was on the way to becoming the best site on the Web for my subject. (I spent less time, but considerable care, on my other Yola sites as well, because I have the Silver package.)
What an enthusiastic supporter of Yola I was!

My main site has not, however, been been touched in months. Neither have my other sites. Everything lies in ruins since this thread.

How can I work with any enthusiasm on a project when I know that other people are welcome, but that I am not? Even people who never contributed a thing, and who said only rotten things about Yola, have been treated with much more courtesy than I was in this thread.

When I posted yesterday, I was hoping that might be the beginning of my return to Yola. Laura's answer makes it obvious, however, that a strident defense of the software issue will always be far, far more important than fostering good will or a sense of community.

It is truly a bizarre situation. Again, though, I thank you for your kind words. You are one classy lady!
Photo of Keara

Keara

• 325 Posts
  • 14 Reply Likes
Congratulations, Nathan. You have completely, massively missed the point. Good job!
Photo of Nathan

Nathan, Champion

• 3739 Posts
  • 307 Reply Likes
Sorry about that. I deleted that reply.

Sincerely,
Nathan
Photo of Keara

Keara

• 325 Posts
  • 14 Reply Likes
Thank you, Nathan. I truly appreciate your gesture. Apparently I can't delete my comment, but I do thank you very much.
Photo of Nathan

Nathan, Champion

• 3739 Posts
  • 307 Reply Likes
No problem, Keara :)
Photo of Keara

Keara

• 325 Posts
  • 14 Reply Likes
Jean, I think it was just a mistake for me to think that I could ever be a part of the Yola community. I'm glad I had the chance to meet you and Ayesh but, apart from that, it was just a mistake. It's time to give up, and I hope I have.
Photo of SilverX

SilverX

• 492 Posts
  • 40 Reply Likes
Keara,
You are a great person at Yola forum. Software isn't the factor of a great friendship. Me and most of others learnt a lot from you, and you are a real super-star. I encourage you to enjoy using Yola community(I didn't mean GS software.). We really need you at Yola!
Photo of Nathan

Nathan, Champion

• 3739 Posts
  • 307 Reply Likes
Yes, I agree! Keara is great! :)
Photo of Keara

Keara

• 325 Posts
  • 14 Reply Likes
Ayesh, you are too kind. My contributions, if any, were very modest. I have the wish, but not the knowledge, to make real contributions.

Still, I was a big supporter of Yola and I certainly made every effort to be constructive and to encourage other Yola users. I will stand on my record in that sense. Moreover, everyone in my life knew how much I loved Yola and its community. Unfortunately, that is all gone now. As I said to Jean, it was a mistake on my part but I hope I have learned from that mistake.
Photo of Jean

Jean

• 134 Posts
  • 14 Reply Likes
I disagree that it was a mistake for you to come back, Keara. I know you are feeling hurt by one staff member's comments. I won't defend them or criticize you.

I just hope you can get past how you feel now and focus on the help you and others offer here. GS, while it wouldn't be my choice, is the only opportunity or "space" we have to share our Yola web building knowledge and help each other build better websites. When I say "web building knowledge" I include questions when we don't know how to change or add something to our sites. Questions (and responses) are as valuable as tips and "how-to's," in my opinion.
Photo of Nathan

Nathan, Champion

• 3739 Posts
  • 307 Reply Likes
I agree. I don't think it was mistake for Keara to come back. Maybe, Keara, if you just leave this topic and unfollow it then you wont have to hear anybody's comments anymore.

You are an awesome user on this forum, Keara! :)

--
Nathan
Photo of SilverX

SilverX

• 492 Posts
  • 40 Reply Likes
Here is a subject that no one thought.

This forum is getting too much spams. If Yola use an Open source forum softwase, Yola can implement Akismet, Mollom, Phishtank, etc to prevent spam.
Don't beleive me?

http://forum.yola.com/yola/topics/any...
http://forum.yola.com/people/mike_bian

for the 1st link, it's a parked page and they only need some hits.
When looking at second link, check this man's replies. You'll definitely find spams there. As I know,(as a GS forum owner) they are no spam-prevent methods rather than captcha.
Photo of Marije

Marije, Official Rep

• 4636 Posts
  • 237 Reply Likes
Hello Ayesh,

As far as I know, Get Satisfaction are working on better spam prevention methods. In the meantime we try to be vigilant in removing spam posts and if you think we've missed one then feel free to let us know so that we can remove the post and get the user banned by Get Satisfaction.

On the above thread that you've posted, I'm not sure which link you are referring to. But the post is quite old, so some of them may have expired.
Photo of Boomer

Boomer, Champion

• 2055 Posts
  • 84 Reply Likes
It must be difficult for Yola and GS to fight this ongoing spam battle. I myself get tons of spam in my personal inbox daily!
Photo of SilverX

SilverX

• 492 Posts
  • 40 Reply Likes
Another point is above. We can't handle notifications for each thread, automatic notifications, global opt-outs, subscribe to author, etc.

For an example, the author of "let's shout and share our site"(over 1k replies) will get over 1k e-mails if notifications are on. There are no soft edges to turn off notifications by time, etc.

Why such thread for this ? Why don't you implement Link Dir stuff ? It will get it will get 3m links!
People love Yola, but don't GS.
Photo of Keara

Keara

• 325 Posts
  • 14 Reply Likes
Ayesh, I think it's clear that Yola is not going to change its forum software. At least, not for a long, long time.
Photo of Nathan

Nathan, Champion

• 3739 Posts
  • 307 Reply Likes
Hi Ayesh, that person's profile you linked to - it looks like it has been deleted.
Photo of Boomer

Boomer, Champion

• 2055 Posts
  • 84 Reply Likes
@ Laura,

Many of us here know that you had no bad intentions. As an outsider on this thread, I quite frankly didn't see anything wrong with your response. Strange how we all interpret things differently. Big of you to apologise.

Now I'm gonna be on trouble :-(
Photo of Laura Thomas

• 4536 Posts
  • 211 Reply Likes
Thanks Boomer, I feel terrible for how I made Keara feel, but it means a lot to know that not everyone took it in a negative way as that was not at all how it was intended.
Photo of Keara

Keara

• 325 Posts
  • 14 Reply Likes
A few kind words would have done the trick. It is not rocket science.

I'm finished with this thread now. I hope that everyone will find more constructive uses of their time.