Yola experiencing a DoS attack

• Problem
  • Updated 8 years ago
  • Solved
Hello everyone,

Yola is currently experiencing a DoS attack which we are working with our upstream partners on remedying as quickly as possible. We will keep you updated on this thread and really appreciate your patience while this is taken care of.

Kind Regards,
Emmy
Photo of Emmy

Emmy

• 5892 Posts
  • 299 Reply Likes

Posted 8 years ago

Photo of Shawn Holman

Shawn Holman

• 486 Posts
  • 26 Reply Likes
People really need to stop this hacking. Yola is one of my favorite and most used sites and it really sucks when one person messes this up for everyone
Photo of smithy

smithy

• 1222 Posts
  • 28 Reply Likes
i can't disagree with you more on that one.
Photo of Jeremy Paton

Jeremy Paton

• 159 Posts
  • 16 Reply Likes
I get hackers hacking (ok, not "hacking") but the DDOS attacking big corporate or media or government sites. I just do not understand why any one would do this to Yola.

If Yola's hosts keep getting DDOS attacks does this mean those responsible are targeting Yola directly or are these guys targeting something else that Yola's hosts are responsible for?

- -
PS: I don't agree with hackers hacking anything, just saying when its a big network like PSN it seems to make more sense, from a hackers point of view I suppose ;)
Photo of barrydixon58

barrydixon58

• 13 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
while this thread is on does anyone know - if I have a website on another host and I have made a website with and thru Yola Silver - can I still keep my website with my other host going and still have my website LIVE on Yola>???
Photo of Brianna

Brianna

• 2045 Posts
  • 92 Reply Likes
Hi barrydixon,
It sounds as though you would like to publish your Yola site to an external domain, is that correct? Please take a peek at this tutorial: Publish to a domain you already own.
Photo of Mark Woody Woodfield

Mark Woody Woodfield

• 16 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Ahhh is this why I cannot publish my site to the web then....damn......just made some changes and now i cannot upload my site!

Never mind I can wait ;-)
Photo of Nate

Nate

• 10 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I'm unable to publish changes since this DOS attack happened... any ideas why? Thanks for any help

edit: ahh another person posted at the same time, guess I'm not the only one

Mark Woody Woodfield

• 16 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Nate, same here, I made some changes and then could not publish to the web :(
Photo of Pier Radio

Pier Radio

• 4 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
i couldn't save my updates either at first but its just accepting it now. . .
Photo of Brianna

Brianna

• 2045 Posts
  • 92 Reply Likes
Thanks for sharing, Pier Radio - we are happy to hear that things are back to normal for you!
Photo of Nate

Nate

• 10 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Just published my site updates so it looks like it may be working again
Photo of Brianna

Brianna

• 2045 Posts
  • 92 Reply Likes
Glad to hear you are able to publish now, Nate! Holler if you see any further errors, we'll be glad to help.
Photo of Gop

Gop

• 189 Posts
  • 54 Reply Likes
Reading old posts there have been a number of Dos attacks on Yola and last year it seems the worst incident which effectively shut the sites down.

Yola then reported a big upgrade in security protective measures against this type of attack. I think they invested in some form of external solution and promised an increase in protection

Yesterday this seemed to have been bypassed and the Dos meant a visible affect on our sites builders. My question is: Does this suggest that Dos attacks are becoming more and more powerful and the safeguards less effective? If this is so how will our sites and Yola's business be protected? Dos attacks are something I don't understand.

I understand a possible upgrading of protection when this is available but this then sounds like a national health system: a bottomless pit of expense with a sensibly limited pot of cash.
Photo of Nathan

Nathan, Champion

• 3739 Posts
  • 307 Reply Likes
Hi Gop,

To help you understand what a DoS Attack is, here are a couple paragraphs:

A denial-of-service attack (DoS attack) or distributed denial-of-service attack (DDoS attack) is an attempt to make a computer resource unavailable to its intended users. Although the means to carry out, motives for, and targets of a DoS attack may vary, it generally consists of the concerted efforts of person or persons to prevent an Internet site or service from functioning efficiently or at all, temporarily or indefinitely. Perpetrators of DoS attacks typically target sites or services hosted on high-profile web servers such as banks, credit card payment gateways, and even root nameservers.

One common method of attack involves saturating the target machine with external communications requests, such that it cannot respond to legitimate traffic, or responds so slowly as to be rendered effectively unavailable. In general terms, DoS attacks are implemented by either forcing the targeted computer(s) to reset, or consuming its resources so that it can no longer provide its intended service or obstructing the communication media between the intended users and the victim so that they can no longer communicate adequately.

Denial-of-service attacks are considered violations of the IAB's Internet proper use policy, and also violate the acceptable use policies of virtually all Internet service providers. They also commonly constitute violations of the laws of individual nations.

I got that from Wikipedia, you can read more here: DoS Attack

I don't recall anymore DoS Attacks accept the one last year. Could you give me a link to the post? On the one last year, they posted more than one topic. But ever since then I don't remember any DoS Attacks other than the short one yesterday.

Nathan
Photo of Gop

Gop

• 189 Posts
  • 54 Reply Likes
Thank you for your wiki copy.

15/4/09; 7/2/10; 6/7/10; 21/7/10; 19/8/10; 21/7/11 These are the approximate dates of the DOS attacks referred to in forum posts. I think it was the director who published something here about failed attacks that were prevented by the guard of the new protection.

That brings me back to my question. Are the attacks becoming stronger or sophisticated and wouldn't that mean that a failure becomes more likely as time goes on? How can protection be assured? Is Yola being attacked more than other sites? because you rarely hear of frequent attacks of the big sites but you do hear of the not so frequent big attacks on the big sites.
Photo of Emmy

Emmy

• 5892 Posts
  • 299 Reply Likes
Hello,
That's a really good question. The attacks have been decreasing over time and in truth, hackers, as well as the people trying to defend against hackers, are always getting more sophisticated, so it's a bit of a give and take. We have a team of engineers who run our platform to ensure that your website is protected from this type of thing. However, we will admit to not being perfect and although we have many protection measures already in place, sometimes things like yesterday do happen in which case our whole team, and our upstream providers, spends every moment working to fix it. I hope that helps explain a bit. We're always open for questions like this.

Kind Regards,
Emmy
Photo of Michael

Michael

• 15 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Does Yola.com hack your facebook Yes or No
Photo of Nathan

Nathan, Champion

• 3739 Posts
  • 307 Reply Likes
Hi Michael,

No, Yola does not hack anyone's Facebook account. What makes you think Yola would hack someone's Facebook account? They are an honest company, not just a few people. :)

If you post to Facebook through the publishing dialog, they don't see your password. It is posted via Facebook's API. (and Facebook wouldn't allow websites to get users' passwords)

Kind regards,
Nathan

Mark Woody Woodfield

• 16 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
They've never hacked mine Michael and I certainly don't think their in the habit of doing so, I think you'll find Yola to be an honest & reputable company!
Photo of Pier Radio

Pier Radio

• 4 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
No problems with mine either, or anyone i know that is with them, Yola is a top company giving a top service.