Yola Help Thread 2013 - Yola Store and website questions

• Question
  • Updated 5 years ago
  • Answered
Yola Help Thread 2013 - Yola Store and website questions

Hello Gop and the Yola team,

I have a bunch of questions about yola, yola store and general website stuff. and will have many more so I will keep them in this thread.

1st:

Store search box,

How do I add a search box onto my site that will only search and give results from the store?

http://kb.ecwid.com/w/page/15853307/S...

this is exactly what I am looking for

There is a javascript code on the ecwid knowledge base, but I cannot seem to implement it, any help would be great. Im not looking for a google search bar.

Im looking for something that works like this site does,

http://www.lukiegames.com/search.asp?...

Just shows products that have turtle associated with them.

Thanks for the help! I hope other users can use this thread for help too.
Photo of S Garage

S Garage

• 36 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like

Posted 6 years ago

Photo of S Garage

S Garage

• 36 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
2nd:

Store CSV,

When importing products via CSV, is there a way to upload multiple image links at once? or more then 3 categories?

Basically I would like more control of what information I can import and export out of yola.
Photo of Gop

Gop

• 7473 Posts
  • 2115 Reply Likes
No. I don't think so. Auxillary images are added separately and I think must be added manually. The main image is single only.

Haven't looked at multiple category uploads so don't have an answer for this.
Photo of S Garage

S Garage

• 36 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Thanks!
Photo of S Garage

S Garage

• 36 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
3rd:

Store checkout options,

Is there a way to have the check out page where you add credit card information happen inside my actual web store, instead of being directed to paypal website?

I wish to keep my users within the webpage throughout the whole experience. I will be switching processors very soon, I definitly dont want my user to be directed to paypal.

This happens at the "place order" page after payment details when you go through checkout.

4th:

Store currency option,

Is there a way to offer two currencies at once, USD and CAD, and have my user select which to be viewing?

In the end, I would like american visitors to see USD pricing, and Canadian visitors to see CAD pricing automatically, is this possible with yola?

5th:

Category and filter options,

Id like to have categories and filter options on the side of my site, specifically the price range options would be great. Like seen here:

http://www.lukiegames.com/search.asp?...

Thanks for the help! I hope other users can use this thread for help too.
Photo of Gop

Gop

• 7473 Posts
  • 2115 Reply Likes
1 and 2 to follow

3rd. Checkout Options.

There isn't a way to do this. The closest are the Express options of Google Checkout and PayPal.

The issue behind the scenes is security. To be given a license for controlling CC payment etc you need to comply with extremely stringent guidelines including secure pages and access to https servers. This just isn't available through Yola. The developer Ecwid takes this responsibility on and acts as the gurantor for such transactions.

4th. Store Currency Option.

This facility is already available so that your customers see the price within their own currency or they may select the currency specifically. This is a third party option. Get back to me if you want specific details. See: Dynamic Converter. There are a couple of options and a few alternative setups.

5th. Category and Filter Options.

This is a 2 section response.

Categories are best separated by the use of a separate page per category and is in the setup of your store. This works extremely well. I think you are saying you want this to be selectable from a universal page. It's a redundant argument as the creation of a list will be far easier for customers to undersatnd than having to go through a drop down list. You can enhance the selections by the use of images but unwieldy if you try and do this with drop downs.

Filters: These are already available within the store with a fairly extensive range of options. Please review this and get back to me if there are other aspects I have over-looked.
Photo of S Garage

S Garage

• 36 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Hello GOP,

you mention within #4 that currency selection options are already available,

Maybe I am missing something, but how do I enable that?

I know in online store system settings, under format and units, there is an option to choose currency. When I select CAD, (our product prices have been entered in USD) and I put in a conversion rate, the price doesn't change in my store.

Is there a way to convert my prices which were entered in USD, to display in my store as CAD converted?

Thanks for the help
Photo of Gop

Gop

• 7473 Posts
  • 2115 Reply Likes
#1. Store Search Box.

How to set up this option (Taken from Ecwid)
In order to use it, you need to add the following JavaScript code to all pages, where Ecwid widgets are installed:

<script> var ecwid_ProductBrowserURL = "PB_URL"; </script>

where PB_URL is the full URL of the page where your product browser widget (i.e. your Ecwid store) is installed.

For example:

<script> var ecwid_ProductBrowserURL = "http://www.example.com/store.html"; </script>

Add the script to the top of your page where you have your store pages installed in an HTML widget and I think it will be OK.
Photo of S Garage

S Garage

• 36 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Hey Gop, Thanks again, you're a boss!

I will check out dynamic converter, it seems to be what I need.

The search box script isnt working for me. I tried the code before I had posted, is there something special I need to be doing with JS inside yola?

http://www.stancegarage.com/store.php

You would see it here, inside the orange box is an HTML widget with the code pasted in and the address changed.

Websites a work in progress, dont mind.

Thx again, ill be back to this thread.
Photo of Gop

Gop

• 7473 Posts
  • 2115 Reply Likes
OK.

I was hoping that this would work but not.

Scripts generally go on the page where the store browser is installed withe native ecwid product. Yola do something special which changes it somewhat but for some applications it seems to work. Not here though :(
Photo of S Garage

S Garage

• 36 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Hey,

Any thoughts from yola team? Ive found outdated answers from people trying to use javascript on Yola, nothing concrete in my findings. Im still wondering how to add the search box.

Im looking into dynamic drive, it also requires javascript. Is there any working examples of people using it?

Thanks
Photo of Gop

Gop

• 7473 Posts
  • 2115 Reply Likes
Hi,

Looking into dynamic drive or Dynamic Converter?
Photo of S Garage

S Garage

• 36 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Dynamic Converter, Thanks.
Photo of Gop

Gop

• 7473 Posts
  • 2115 Reply Likes
Hi S,

I was using it on a trial site previously and have removed the script.when I switched over to Yola Online Store.

I was the first ecwid user and they had to create the script specifically for this. I haven't tried it with the Yola implementation of the store and will get to this over the next few days and get back to you. Hoping that this is OK?

Gop.
Photo of S Garage

S Garage

• 36 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Please, do not feel necessary to ask if its OK. Your contribution towards these forums and me has been extraordinary.

I will try and look into implementing it this weekend. I will probably run into a few problems so I will be back to this thread to ask questions. Who knows, it might work no problem, haha.
Photo of Stefan

Stefan, Official Rep

• 4448 Posts
  • 190 Reply Likes
Hello StanceGarage

In general custom Javascript code can be used on Yola websites, provided that the code is compatible with the Yola Sitebuilder and doesn't interfere with Javascript code used by Yola. That's why we cannot guarantee that any custom code will work with Yola. You will always need to test it to find out.

Here is a solution for a search box for Yola Online Store: How to add a search box to your Yola Online Store.

I'm afraid I don't know about any examples where users use Dynamic Drive. Have you tested the Javascript code they provide on a test page of your website, or on a test website of your account?
Photo of S Garage

S Garage

• 36 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Hey Everyone,

Sorry, what I meant to write was Dynamic Converter. It also requires Java.

I have tried the following code which enables a search box for within the ecwid store:

I put that code into an HTML widget on a page that had the store as well, no success.

There are several scripts ecwid list to modify the store, I looked through quite a few threads on this help forum and modified the scripts according to what I found but no success.

The google search bar is not exactly what I am looking for, but I may add that in the future, thanks for the info.
Photo of Stefan

Stefan, Official Rep

• 4448 Posts
  • 190 Reply Likes
Hello S Garage

I'm afraid that I'm not able to see the code in your post. To add code on our Support Forum, you will need to enclose it into these tags: < pre > < code > < / code > </ pre >. When doing so, please leave out any blank spaces which I need to add to display it.
Photo of S Garage

S Garage

• 36 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Stefan,

The code for the search box is here:

http://kb.ecwid.com/w/page/15853260/e...

Thank you
Photo of Stefan

Stefan, Official Rep

• 4448 Posts
  • 190 Reply Likes
Thanks, I'm aware of this link, however it doesn't seem to work on Yola websites.

I don't think that the search box instructions I posted above refer to a Google Search Widget. The search box is specific to your Yola Online Store as you need to add your individual Store ID to the code. This solution was originally given by Maya, an ecwid employee: Adding a product search box to your store.

If you'd like to check how it works, please have a look at this Yola Online Store test site. Search for "Mütze" or "Wintertag" (as there is only one test product there).
Photo of S Garage

S Garage

• 36 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Im sorry!

I completely overlooked your post, This is exactly what I was looking for. Thank you very much.
Photo of S Garage

S Garage

• 36 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Thanks for the responses guys, very informative.

Next question.

Is there a way to constrain the width of a custom panel widget?

http://www.stancegarage.com/store.php

Check out the page, you will see I have an image, and then a HTML table for my links, then the store: All on top of a custom panel. All 3 are over hanging on the edges of the custom panel.

I would like to constrain the width to say 1000 or 1300 pixels, and disable the "stretchy" effect that happens when you resize your browser.

I looked through the HTML and CSS code, I manipulated a few lines and was able to make some changes but not the desired end. I found these changes were too global, and were effecting the formatting of everything.

Thanks for the help
Photo of Stefan

Stefan, Official Rep

• 4448 Posts
  • 190 Reply Likes
Hello S Garage

As much as I can see on your page, it's only your menu which is overlapping the Custom Panel, is that correct?

Your Style Template has a certain, pre-definded width which can be changed in the Site CSS. Custom Panels will always stay within that width, and display wider or narrower according to the general width setting of the body/content area. If other elements you place onto the Custom Panel Widget are wider than the currently set page width, or exceed the padding of the Custom Panel (set in the Custom Panel Widget dialogue box), they will overlap.

For the Style you chose, try to extend your page width by playing with the .container section. Define pixels instead of percentages, and increase the maximum width. Work with background colour for the time being in order to see the actual width of the page. I'd suggest not to to set a too large page width because it may impact readability and overview of your page. Rather decrease the size of your custom navigation menu.
Photo of S Garage

S Garage

• 36 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
After playing around some more I decided to scrap it, thanks.
Photo of S Garage

S Garage

• 36 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Hey guys, next question.

The twitter feed in your tutorials: https://www.yola.com/tutorials/articl...

Isnt working on my page, I followed all steps exactly.

You can find it here: http://www.stancegarage.com/deals.php

<a class="twitter-timeline" href="https://twitter.com/StanceGarage" data-widget-id="296545106239029248">Tweets by @StanceGarage</a>

<script>!function(d,s,id){var js,fjs=d.getElementsByTagName(s)[0];if(!d.getElementById(id)){js=d.createElement(s);js.id=id;js.src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js";fjs.parentNode.insertBefore(js,fjs);}}(document,"script","twitter-wjs");</script>

Thats the script right off twitter. When applied into an HTML widget in yola, its only producing "tweets by @stancegarage"

Any assistance in this would be great,

Thanks
Photo of Stefan

Stefan, Official Rep

• 4448 Posts
  • 190 Reply Likes
Hi S Garage

This code is normally working on Yola websites, please see a successful example here: http://awesum.biz/twitter.php.

The reason may lie in what you entered into the form when you created the widget in your Twitter account. What did you enter as your domains? For awesum.biz I entered both awesum.biz and www.awesum.biz. Please recreate/edit your widget on Twitter, and try to add the new code to your Yola website. The code must be added to a website which is published to the domain you provided with Twitter.
Photo of S Garage

S Garage

• 36 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Hello Yola Team

What is the product limit inside the yola store with a gold membership?

Any chance of having the 1000 product limit raised in my case?
Photo of Stefan

Stefan, Official Rep

• 4448 Posts
  • 190 Reply Likes
Hello S Garage

The general product limit of Yola Online Store is 1,000 items and independent of your subscription package. However, if you contact us via e-mail, we'll be happy to check what we can do for you.
Photo of S Garage

S Garage

• 36 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Hey guys,

I need a little help with my online store design CSS.

The code to enable custom checkout, continue shopping, add to bag I cannot get working properly. I am not that familiar with CSS, and I believe its a problem with my separators or tag to finish the code because which over code I have on the top changes which ones work.

Heres my code:

div.ecwid-ContinueShoppingButton-up, div.ecwid-ContinueShoppingButton-up-hovering, { background: transparent url(http://www.stancegarage.com/resources...) no-repeat top center;
}

div.ecwid-ContinueShoppingButton-down, div.ecwid-ContinueShoppingButton-down-hovering, { background: transparent url(http://www.stancegarage.com/resources...) no-repeat bottom center;
}

div.ecwid-AddToBagButton-up, div.ecwid-AddToBagButton-up-hovering { background: transparent url(http://www.stancegarage.com/resources...) no-repeat top center !important;
}

div.ecwid-AddToBagButton-down, div.ecwid-AddToBagButton-down-hovering { background: transparent url(http://www.stancegarage.com/resources...) no-repeat bottom center !important;
}

div.ecwid-productBrowser-cart-checkoutButton-up, div.ecwid-productBrowser-cart-checkoutButton-up-hovering { background: transparent url(http://www.stancegarage.com/resources...) no-repeat top center !important; }

div.ecwid-productBrowser-cart-checkoutButton-down, div.ecwid-productBrowser-cart-checkoutButton-down-hovering { background: transparent url(http://www.stancegarage.com/resources...) no-repeat bottom center !important;
}

div.ecwid-minicart { background-image:url(http://www.stancegarage.com/resources...);
}

div.ecwid-productBrowser-sku, td.ecwid-productBrowser-productsTable-sku {
display: none !important;
}
span.ecwid-Invoice-productDescr-sku {
}
div.ecwid-OrdersList-OrderBox-sku {
}
Photo of S Garage

S Garage

• 36 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Yes, sorry I should have been more clear. This is in the design section of the store system settings.

I have problems with the first codes that are to change the button images of the store (checkout, add to bag, continue shopping)

I believe its a formatting thing, When I switch them around, the code read first always works..

Thanks for the help GOP
Photo of Gop

Gop

• 7473 Posts
  • 2115 Reply Likes
OK. Difficult but you'll get there.

Are some of the button images "sprites" meaning at least 2 active parts of the image but only one section should be visible depending on the action?

I can now see some inline seps that look a bit odd. Do you have the original code that you obtained for these? Happy to look and compare.
Photo of S Garage

S Garage

• 36 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Hey, yes the images are sprites.

I got the code from the ecwid knowledge base, here

http://kb.ecwid.com/w/page/23134354/H...

the other buttons are basically the same
Photo of Gop

Gop

• 7473 Posts
  • 2115 Reply Likes
Try the last 4 CSS rules without the upper 6 and then see if they work?
Photo of S Garage

S Garage

• 36 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Yep, the last 4 work, .. I am not familiar with an inline sep(I assume separator). Do you know whats wrong with the first 6?
Photo of S Garage

S Garage

• 36 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Hey everyone,

I posted this as a reply to GOP's comment on my post, im re posting in hope someone from the Yola team can help me out too.

Hello GOP,

you mention within #4 that currency selection options are already available,

Maybe I am missing something, but how do I enable that?

I know in online store system settings, under format and units, there is an option to choose currency. When I select CAD, (our product prices have been entered in USD) and I put in a conversion rate, the price doesn't change in my store.

Is there a way to convert my prices which were entered in USD, to display in my store as CAD converted?

--- and to give the customers the ability to choose USD or CAD when browsing my store?

Thanks for the help
Photo of Stefan

Stefan, Official Rep

• 4448 Posts
  • 190 Reply Likes
Hello S Garage

When you change the currency under "Formats & Units" to CAD and save this change, it should display in your Online Store. Do I have your permission to test this in your Store by saving and checking the result?
Photo of S Garage

S Garage

• 36 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Yes you have permission, I don't think the feature is working for me. When I switch it to CAD, it offers currency exchange formula option, however when I input a number, it makes no changes on my website.

Can my customers have the option of choosing USD or CAD?

Thanks for the help Stefan
Photo of Stefan

Stefan, Official Rep

• 4448 Posts
  • 190 Reply Likes
Hi S Garage

I have successfully changed your currency to CAD. I've entered the current rate of 1 CAD = approx. 0.98 USD. When I view your Online Store in Preview, all your prices are shown in CAD for me. Please refresh your page by clicking on the round arrow next to the page selector, and test it in Preview. Then republish, clear cache and cookies, and let me know if you can see the CAD prices.

Unfortunately you can't offer your customers to select their desired currency with Yola Online Store at the moment, but you can vote for this feature to be added with our Online Store partner ecwid.
Photo of S Garage

S Garage

• 36 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Hello Stefan,

Thanks for the help, I have been able to get the same result. For some reason I am not seeing any converted prices, I do see the "C$", but the price doesnt change. The price we entered was USD and we are seeing the same price when its turned on. I tried setting the the conversion rate and nothing changes.
Any ideas? I think there may be a glitch.
Photo of Gop

Gop

• 7473 Posts
  • 2115 Reply Likes
Photo of S Garage

S Garage

• 36 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Hey Gop,

Yep, I have been trying to integrate it. I have contacted them for help, I hope they get back soon, it looks like this is the best option..

I cannot get it to work though, am I supposed to put the 2 sets of code into an HTML widget? When I do that, I see there advertisement at the bottom of my page (www.stancegarage.com/store) but no options for conversion.

In there instructions for ecwid it says "Paste the installation string into your template just before or as close to the close body tag." Which is a little confusing for Yola.

I tried putting it into the online store design CSS, no luck, and as well into the custom CSS side, with no success. HTML widget seems it should work, I tried by best to have continuity between dynamic converter and my yola options, (same display formats for currency) which from my research I found they both must match or DC wont be able to see it.

Thanks a lot for the patience, and help guys, I appreciate it.
Photo of Gop

Gop

• 7473 Posts
  • 2115 Reply Likes
Place it in an HTML widget as the bottom site HTML widget, not in your Store CSS. Reuben at dynamic converter is very helpful.
Photo of S Garage

S Garage

• 36 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Hey gop, Thats where it is sitting right now, no luck.

heres my dynamic converter settings http://www.stancegarage.com/resources...
Photo of Gop

Gop

• 7473 Posts
  • 2115 Reply Likes
Hi,

Your solution will come from the people in Australia on this I think. Hate to say it but their site is woeful. I had to get help for this as I use Thai Baht as my input currency and they gave me a currency code to use for the conversion to work. I didn't limit my selling currency as PayPal handles this for me on the back conversion.

Are you only selling to the US and Canada?
Photo of S Garage

S Garage

• 36 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Ah, ok. Thanks for the help. Im still baffled as to why the ecwid/yola converter does not do anything that I can see.

Yes only to US and Canada, we are canadian, get our parts from american distributors, and sell mostly to canadians but with our online presence we can go towards american markets.

Thank you!
Photo of S Garage

S Garage

• 36 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Hey guys, I found a really great thing to help with customizing your ecwid,

its here:

http://www.e-shopdesigner.com/eshop_d...

Using there "tweak" features, you can customize pretty much anything. I was able to simply in a few hours fully customize my site to my liking, no more CSS problems with the buttons.

Only one question, how do I display the category titles on a specific page?

On this page http://www.stancegarage.com/store.php...

I would like category titles because the images do not have text, for the rest they do, I havent seen this option on the ecwid knowledge base, maybe you guys know.

Thanks
Photo of Gop

Gop

• 7473 Posts
  • 2115 Reply Likes
Hi,

You can display the contents of a specific single category on a page. There are a number of alternatives for labeling this and can be mixed with turning off the default labels as well if wished. Happy to go further with this if you can begin with an outline of categories and sub-categories. Not fixed in stone by any means, but an intuitive place to start is as good as any.

If your page referred to above is a sub-category of your store inventory, you can include these images as your sub-category image and then just elect to display this sub-category as a page. This will show both the image and their title. The image would then be linked to the sub-sub category of relevant products. I think you can drill down to 5 levels of sub-categories with the online store facility but will need to check this specifically.
Photo of Gop

Gop

• 7473 Posts
  • 2115 Reply Likes
I have found that you can have as many levels of categories as you wish. There is only a limitation on importation of category levels with a CSV file.
Photo of S Garage

S Garage

• 36 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Hey Gop,

Thanks for the reply. I was able to get the Dynamic Converter working, they replied and told me they forgot a piece of code in the string! So its operational now, but I will be tweaking with it in the coming days.

For our categories, we have 3 at the root level.

Search by brand
Search by category
Search by manufacturer

Each of those have many subcategories, which are filled with products.

I would like to be able to see the title of the sub categories inside the "search by manufacturer" root category, but I do not want to see the titles in other.

The category ID is /category/id=505744

I am not that familiar with the ecwid code, but do we just build an exception(not sure) for this?

div.ecwid-productBrowser-subcategories-categoryName { display:none; }

So then we would add an "except category/id=505744"

Thanks for your continued effort in my understanding!
Photo of Gop

Gop

• 7473 Posts
  • 2115 Reply Likes
I can't see any reference to exceptions in formatting and layout. I'll keep looking but I doubt this will be available as such. There maybe a way to inject an exception with javascript and this may be available through paid consultants at Ecwid?

Have e-shopdesigner come back with any thoughts?

You could create a gallery for each category referenced and format the {categories: brand; category; manufacturer} separately. This would be done outside the Store referencing back into the Store. Dynamicdrive has such a gallery which allows both links and titles.
Photo of S Garage

S Garage

• 36 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
E-shopdesigner really helped me create a nice layout, it outputs a smooth CSS code for your site, I highly recommend this to anyone. It does all the legwork pretty much.