Yola IRC Channel!

• Idea
  • Updated 9 years ago
Has Yola ever considered an irc channel for users to chat? I think the environment can be more pleasant than a forum and quicker responses. I'm using an IRC channel for another host I'm using and it's quicker to get responses and users can have general conversations instead of only support discussions!?
Photo of Donald

Donald

• 2991 Posts
  • 37 Reply Likes
  • http://1stop-martial-arts.zymichost.com/index.php

Posted 9 years ago

Photo of John McCarthy

John McCarthy

• 1292 Posts
  • 99 Reply Likes
I think it would be good but there is a few issues.
1.spamming,
2.People being stupid and immature(sure we could have a little joke but some people may go to far)
3.Its to easy to give out personal information e.g passwords etc (which yola take very seriously as they want customers to feel safe)
4.Abuse/Racism etc (Yola remove post in the forum,but staff may not always be present in the channel so abuse may go un-noticed)

These are just my views,but i think these things way out the positives.
Photo of Donald

Donald

• 2991 Posts
  • 37 Reply Likes
well, the one I use automatically detects spam and mutes you. This setting can also be changed to block a particular IP for repeat spamming. People being stupid and immature can be blocked via IP as well. And if people give out passwords, then wouldn't the "victim" be the one who gave it out? That would be their fault, plus words such as pass, pw, password, passwd, can all be blocked and anything following that word from that user. If you set it up so the user has to use their Yola account information (meaning their login for IRC would already be in yola's database) this would make it easy to block users. And as for abuse, make it very simple for users to report the abuse and action can be taken. And if anything "serious" happens, you can always email the user and tell them one more instance like that, their actual yola account will be disabled. Have users agree to terms and conditions. Just a suggestion!
Photo of Dré

Dré

• 201 Posts
  • 15 Reply Likes
Official Response
Hey guys,

With all things I suppose there are pros and cons, you both make really good points.

Regardless of whether we will ever incorporate this channel of communication or not between us and our users- what I can say is that we are always investigating ways we can improve our support channels and make things as easy as possible for our users.
Photo of Donald

Donald

• 2991 Posts
  • 37 Reply Likes
Another option is to create a chat!? Whereas members can talk one on one and block any user they want. Kind of like a MySpace for Yola! That would be cool!
Photo of Donald

Donald

• 2991 Posts
  • 37 Reply Likes
A third option is to tell me how to create a chat or guide me to a good tutorial (since I'm learning PHP and MySQL and I have a host using php) and I can create the site and make it optional for yola users to participate. I wouldn't mind doing this!
Photo of Donald

Donald

• 2991 Posts
  • 37 Reply Likes
I understand that PHP might be a challenge to incorporate with Yola, but is there a reason why Yola can't make css possible?

If we use h1.yellow12 { color:#ffff00; size:12pt } for example, then changing ALL h1 class="yellow12" would be so much simpler than having to go into every page. I have a website with over 200 pages with Yola and I can't tell you how hard it is to update or modify the design of the site. Last mods I made to every page took me a month and that's without adding new content during that time... when it could've taken less than a day with css. :)
Photo of lambofgod

lambofgod

• 875 Posts
  • 35 Reply Likes
How about this chat room I just finished up:

http://yola.newestfunny.com/chat/
Photo of Donald

Donald

• 2991 Posts
  • 37 Reply Likes
I suppose it's alright! irc channels have special commands, such as /join #thischannel or !google this+search and other stuff! :)

But that's not a bad chat, how'd you do it!?

Note: I would prefer to host my own code and have the option to customize it than using a service which will have restrictions and chat will go down if they go down!
Photo of lambofgod

lambofgod

• 875 Posts
  • 35 Reply Likes
Get back in room 1 :P