Yola not allowing Facebook to pick up thumbnails of photos when sharing my websites' links on Facebook

• Problem
  • Updated 4 years ago
  • Solved
I use Yola to run a blog. Each blog post has its own photo. Facebook no longer picks up the post photos in its script to put thumbnails when I share the post links on facebook. Facebook used to pick them up but then changed something and no longer picks up the photos in the posts or even the Yola Style Banner. Since Yola does not allow me to change the meta tags in my pages, which would allow a super easy fix to the problem because one can use the meta tag to tell facebook exactly what photo to use for the thumbnail I feel like there is something in Yola that is blocking facebook from seeing that there is a perfectly fine linkable photo sitting right there in the page. Here is a screenshot of the problem on the facebook end: http://i.imgur.com/4eZU1.png

And here is my website: www.crash-itproductions.com

This is a problem because my traffic has gone down since this problem started because people click more when they see a photo instead of just a text link.
Photo of Aleksey Pavlov

Aleksey Pavlov

• 8 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
  • frusrated

Posted 8 years ago

Photo of Sanja

Sanja

• 10698 Posts
  • 495 Reply Likes
Hello Aleksey,

We are aware of this issue. Facebook changed their API's, and in the process the thumbnails are no longer displaying. We are looking into how we can remedy this but it may take some time. I'm very sorry for the inconvenience.
Photo of AshleyJ

AshleyJ

• 7 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
are there any updates on this problem
Photo of Aleksey Pavlov

Aleksey Pavlov

• 8 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Is there any plans in the future to give html-able users more control if they want it, such as access to the head/meta sections of pages?
Photo of Nazlie

Nazlie

• 1721 Posts
  • 51 Reply Likes
Hi Aleksey

If you are already a Yola Silver user, you will have access to the head section of your site.

Go to Site > Site Settings > Custom Site Tracking Code. This will allow you to add information in the header section of the site.
Photo of Aleksey Pavlov

Aleksey Pavlov

• 8 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
That is a step closer but in order to add meta data for each thumbnail per post it needs to be editable on the individual page level. When I create a post yola creates a new page and url for that post which is great. But I need to be able to have a different header for each one of those pages which is not a current option. Here is a simple piece of code (even I a novice programmer get it) that automatically adds meta data to the header which tells facebook which photo to use. It does it each for each post! This code is written for wordpress but the jist of it is simple and I feel can be changed and implemented to work for Yola, given a few motivated programmers :P

function insert_image_src_rel_in_head() {
global $post;
if ( !is_singular()) //if it is not a post or a page
return;
if(!has_post_thumbnail( $post->ID )) { //the post does not have featured image, use a default image
$default_image="http://example.com/image.jpg"; //replace this with a default image on your server or an image in your media library
echo '';
}
else{
$thumbnail_src = wp_get_attachment_image_src( get_post_thumbnail_id( $post->ID ), 'medium' );
echo '';
}
echo "\n";
}
add_action( 'wp_head', 'insert_image_src_rel_in_head', 5 );

For more, I found this code here: http://www.wpbeginner.com/wp-themes/h...
Photo of Nazlie

Nazlie

• 1721 Posts
  • 51 Reply Likes
Hi Aleksey

It is unfortunately not possible to create this level of programming on Yola at this time. Yola is designed for people who are not extremely technical at building websites, but would like to have a presence online. For this reason, we have kept our Sitebuilder simpler and easy to use for complete beginners to the web.
Photo of AshleyJ

AshleyJ

• 7 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
are there any updates on this? this is a big problem for bloggers trying to promote on FB
Photo of Nazlie

Nazlie

• 1721 Posts
  • 51 Reply Likes
Hello AshleyJ

We are still working on fixing this issue. As you can see from the date on this post, it is 4 days old. Our engineers are working on it as quickly as they can but it may take a while to update the code for it to work correctly on Facebook.

Our apologies for the inconvenience.
Photo of AshleyJ

AshleyJ

• 7 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
can you define "a while"? days, weeks?
Photo of jeremy

jeremy, Employee

• 1349 Posts
  • 90 Reply Likes
Hi Ashleyj, It is difficult to put a definite timeframe to this as the complexity of the problem is still being assessed... I would venture more to the "days" side than the weeks side but I hope you can understand why we cannot give you a definite time frame.

We will keep you posted with regards to the progress of this bug.
Photo of AshleyJ

AshleyJ

• 7 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
it's now been 16 days, so i hope you are working on this more quickly, or you are risking losing business to other blog sites ...
Photo of Nazlie

Nazlie

• 1721 Posts
  • 51 Reply Likes
Hi AshleyJ

Thanks for checking in with us about this issue. I checked the status of the bug and it is still unresolved. I have followed up with inquiries to our engineering team and hopefully it will be fixed quickly!
Photo of Brianna

Brianna

• 2045 Posts
  • 92 Reply Likes
Hi AshleyJ,

I was hoping to touch base with you on this bug. Our engineers have done quite extensive research and have confirmed that this error is on Facebooks end and has to do with their spidering. I can suggest that you contact Facebook support in this regard.
Photo of AshleyJ

AshleyJ

• 7 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Your response is outrageous. You want me - THE CUSTOMER - to reach out to facebook about a problem Yola is having? This isn't just me ... it's all Yola bloggers, and you're trying to pass this responsibility onto me to solve?? That's absurd. I own 5 websites currently hosted on Yola and if you can't resolve this, I will pull them all and move my blog elsewhere.
Photo of Sanja

Sanja

• 10698 Posts
  • 495 Reply Likes
Hello AshleyJ,

I understand that this is upsetting and I'm sorry this hasn't been resolved to your satisfaction. I am asking a colleague to hop on this thread who I hope will be of further assistance. Please allow 24 hours for them to review your case and get back to you. Thanks for your patience as we work through this.
Photo of Laura Thomas

Laura Thomas, Social Media Coordinator

• 4536 Posts
  • 211 Reply Likes
Hi AshleyJ,

We understand your frustration and would hate to see you go, but based on the thorough investigation performed by our engineering team, this is not something that can be resolved on our end. The issue is still logged and if any updates occur we will update you here but at this time it does not appear we can provide a solution for you. I'm sorry we could not be of more assistance in this matter.
Photo of Steven Impulse Randle

Steven Impulse Randle

• 2 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
is there any updates on this issue i cant see any thumbnails for my new design site http://impulsegraphics.yolasite.com/ please any help would be perfect i have tried most things but it seems u have to pay for a silver account to be able to edit the html header and thats where it is all pointing to it shouldnt be like this we shouldnt have to pay for the priviledge to share our sites
Photo of Laura Thomas

• 4536 Posts
  • 211 Reply Likes
HI Steven,

I replied to your Facebook post earlier. The preview generator is working properly for your pages that have images to use as a thumbnail.

Please refer to your Facebook post for a working example.
Photo of Amanda Edwards

Amanda Edwards

• 4 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Has this been resolved yet? It's an ongoing problem for me, and beyond frustrating!
Photo of Laura Thomas

• 4536 Posts
  • 211 Reply Likes
Official Response
Hi Amanda,

There is a way to ensure that you have the desired thumbnail displaying for your website on Facebook if you are a Yola Silver or Yola Gold subscriber. Also note, Facebook requires a minimum size of 200x200 px for the image you use.

Please follow these steps:

1. Open your website in the Sitebuilder.
2. Click on the "Site" tab.
3. Click on "Tracking" to open the tracking section.
4. Click on the "Site Tracking Code" icon.
5. Into the right-hand side "Header Code" box, paste in this code: <br><br>
```<meta property="og:image" content="http://yoursite.com/resources/yourthumbnailimage.jpg"; />```

6. Replace:
 * http://yoursite.com with the URL of your published site.
 * yourthumbnailimage.jpg with the name of your image file.

7. Save and make sure you republish your site!

Now you can go to your Facebook wall and post your URL. The desired thumbnail image should come up.

If it still doesn't display, you will need to run your URL through the Facebook Debugger. To do this, please follow these steps:

1. Clear cache and cookies of your browser. 
2. Log into your Facebook account. 
3. Click on this link (it must open in the same browser where you are logged into your Facebook account).
 * Enter your URL in the field provided and click on the "Debug" button.
5. Once done, try to add your URL to your Status box on Facebook. It should now show the desired thumbnail.
Photo of Amanda Edwards

Amanda Edwards

• 4 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Thanks for the reply! Is there anything I can do to get an image from a recent blog post to come up if I'm posting a link to my yola blog on Facebook?
Photo of Laura Thomas

• 4536 Posts
  • 211 Reply Likes
Have you tried the second set of steps for the Facebook debugger? Also, it's a bit manual but Facebook does now allow you to upload an image with a link post. That might help if Facebook is just slow to pick up the images.
Photo of Amanda Edwards

Amanda Edwards

• 4 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
If I'm posting a link from my yola site, the "upload image" comes up blank... it's really frustrating.  So... I can get the "upload image" option, I click it, select my image, it looks as if it's uploading, and then nothing appears. It's only when I'm trying to post a link to my yola site.
Photo of Amanda Edwards

Amanda Edwards

• 4 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
.. and by the way.. thank you for trying to help! :)
Photo of Jen

Jen

• 206 Posts
  • 24 Reply Likes
Hi Amanda,

I checked your page and I see that you have added this meta tag:
<meta property="og:image" content="http://yoursite.com/resources/yourthumbnailimage.jpg"; />
But you don't have an image file in your site named "yourthumbnailimage.jpg" and the name of your site is not "yoursite.com."

You'll want to replace "http://yoursite.com/resources/yourthumbnailimage.jpg" with the URL of one of the images in your site.  For example:

http://mandolinmosaics.com/resources/21487739926_19f75530c1_o.jpg

Once you update the meta tag with your own information, you will want to run it through the debugger again so that Facebook replaces their current scrape of your site.

While we can't guarantee that Facebook will show a specific image, these steps should help make it happen.

I hope that helps!