Yola should stop updating and "making Yola better"!

• Idea
  • Updated 10 years ago
  • Not Planned
Everytime Yola makes improvements, something puts me behind two weeks. The most previous changes changed all of my font sizes and colors.
Photo of Donald

Donald

• 2991 Posts
  • 37 Reply Likes
  • http://youcanneverbetoosmart.synthasite.com

Posted 10 years ago

Photo of Monique

Monique, VP of Customer Support

• 6294 Posts
  • 446 Reply Likes
Official Response
Hi Donald

It sounds like you have a problem with your fonts, and instead of asking for help, you have shared an "idea". I do not believe that it is a very smart idea at all, as we have no plans to stop developing and adding new features. I don't think anyone would think the idea that we should stop developing is a very bright one at all.

Here at Yola we never stop innovating, but we do solve problems and fix bugs. If you would like to restate your "idea" and say what you really mean, maybe you will get some help.

Sarcasm and manipulation do not lead to productive outcomes, but straightforward requests for assistance do, so maybe you want to take another shot at this.
Photo of Donald

Donald

• 2991 Posts
  • 37 Reply Likes
Sorry bout that, I was just implying that I have lost about two months of work because of innovations over time.
Photo of Monique

• 6294 Posts
  • 446 Reply Likes
Sorry to hear about your lost work. If you want to talk about it and look for a solution, you know where to find us!
Photo of Denise

Denise

• 393 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
While I can understand the frustration of "glitches" in our websites, there are always people around to help iron them out. Also, I am thrilled at what has happened here a t Yola just in the short time I've been gone. I am one of those "people" that is a pain in the rump at times because I want what I can't have usually, lol! But I've been to another "free" website and it was a nightmare. For me, being a newbie, as well as below poverty level, Yola is a good place for me and again, people are always on these boards where in other "free" sites, I see 100's of questions go completely unanswered. I am for the upgrades/updates. They are, after all, to make the site better, not worse:) Denise
Photo of Monique

• 6294 Posts
  • 446 Reply Likes
Thanks Denise! Nice to have you back. We do regret bugs and glitches and work to solve them as fast as we can. I suppose I would rather use software that was developing and improving, where I had a say and could get my needs met, even if it did mean working through some rocky patches when the odd bug comes along. We strive to provide a hassle free user experience, but when trying to develop new features rapidly at the same time, perfection is not always possible.
Photo of Ed-a-Torials @ Honey Bear Playhomes

Ed-a-Torials @ Honey Bear Playhomes, Champion

• 2582 Posts
  • 279 Reply Likes
Hmmm interesting indeed... I wonder how many months (or more) each and every one of us would be behind if we did not use YOLA to build our sites? I can state with certainty that there are many other website builders that updates or no updates they have bugs which last months and months to fix as well as forums with topics in the hundreds and not thousands like our YOLA. The other website builders are more often than not afraid to have questions in their forums as they often do not have the answers that their customers need. I wonder how many of them actually come and search the YOLA forums to search out work arounds and fixes for their users. Surely there must be many...

We should be happy and most content in that YOLA has been so Johny on the spot time and time again with the issues that may arise. Yes the font issue is at times distressing but in no way is it call for a ban on updating. Innovation and updates made Synthasite with a few thousand members into a YOLA with over 2 million. I would imagine that they know what they are doing by now my friend...

Happy site building
Ed

You can find me with my head in the honey pot here.

You can find many of my threads here... Just look for the light bulbs
Photo of Donald

Donald

• 2991 Posts
  • 37 Reply Likes
I like the fact that you can now get rid of the Yola link (I'll do this probably in a week when I purchase a domain (instead of the sub-domain) and I'll also be purchasing advertising (just a small budget to test it out)... any ideas of the best advertising to use? Adwords, MySpace, Private website offering their own adspace? etc!
Photo of Donald

Donald

• 2991 Posts
  • 37 Reply Likes
how does WPromote improve your search engine visibility? I read in a help topic posted by Google, you CAN NOT pay money to them or any outside service to increase your rankings on google. What does WPromote do to improve your visibility?
Photo of Denise

Denise

• 393 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
Just a heads up on the Yola Site Link. I feel this way about it. For one, it's one "tiny" bit I can do to repay Yola. Second, in this day and age where people are in need economically, I would love to spread the word of Yola rather than them end up using hosts that will make their site building experience something they will only want to forget. Also, the more Yola grows, the better off it's members are.

denise
Photo of Donald

Donald

• 2991 Posts
  • 37 Reply Likes
This is true... but there's several ways to look at it. One... it costs $9.95 per year to get rid of the link, so you ARE doing Yola a favor. Another thing, it looks more professional not to have it. The larger sites and/or more professional sites generally do not have that. Not having that link could be the difference between a user coming back or not. This isn't how it will be for every customer but SOME customers do in deed look at details like that (how the site was created, did they first create it for free, or did they pay for a domain or the sitebuilder, etc.)... But like I said in the first place... you ARE doing Yola a favor by getting rid of the link as it costs money. By having that link, you could be referring 1000 people and with the possibility that NONE of those users buying their own domain... Yola is making more money from you purchasing to remove the link than making referrals.
Photo of Donald

Donald

• 2991 Posts
  • 37 Reply Likes
Yola should make it so you can unpublish PAGES of your site so that they don't show up on the published website but they are still in the sitebuilder. Another option for publish settings would be... publish entire site OR choose pages to publish. I have about twenty pages I have to edit and if you view those pages right now, they'll give you a headache. But I can't delete them either.
Photo of Ruth

Ruth

• 2819 Posts
  • 135 Reply Likes
Hi Donald,

You can achieve this by taking pages you don't want published out of the menu.

These are the steps to removing a page from your menu:

1. Click on the "Edit Menu" button on the top toolbar.
2. A dialog box will open and you will see the list of your pages in the left-hand pane under "in the menu".
3. Click on the page you would like to remove and drag-and-drop it to "out of menu"

The page will no longer be in your menu, and will therefore not show up on your published site.
Photo of Donald

Donald

• 2991 Posts
  • 37 Reply Likes
yes, that is true... but the pages are still going to be there. Although they won't be findable by browsing the site, they can still be found by a google search or my site search I offer. Just because they are out of the menu doesn't mean they aren't being published.
Photo of Emmy

Emmy

• 5892 Posts
  • 299 Reply Likes
Hi Donald,
Yes, you are correct. The pages are still going to be there and be published, but if there is not a link to them anywhere on any of the other pages the search engine will have a hard time getting to them, although I won't say that it is impossible. Unless a site visitor knows the page name to add to the url, they will not be able to get to the pages either.

I can understand the the feature request and see how it would be useful. I will put this forth to our team to be considered in future releases. If you really wanted to be safe, you could password protect the pages to ensure no one could get to them, that would be your best bet for keeping the search engines out as well.

Hope this helps!

Emmy
Photo of Donald

Donald

• 2991 Posts
  • 37 Reply Likes
ok... there's also another point to this too. Say for example you want to work on a "project" on your site but not publish it until it's finished but you still want to publish other changes on your site. It would be usefull to be able to select which pages are published.
Photo of Emmy

Emmy

• 5892 Posts
  • 299 Reply Likes
Thanks Donald, I do see the benefit you are speaking of. I will surely let our team know of this feature request!
Photo of Kent T Carter

Kent T Carter

• 230 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
Dude, remember the KISS principle here! You want a little change to suit your needs that will affect the whole of the system, which just might cause more problems as you state that updates cause. So lets just look inside the box first! You need to work on a "update" of you pages before to publish, right? So (kiss) what you want to do is make thes test pages asd another name, not showing in your menu. Note always save every page as a backup, then you can eazily back-step if you need. Now, when you feel your "update" is what you want, publish as the page you want to replace; if this is not right, republish as the backup of the original page. Donald, the first step in any task is to think! You can do this so eazily without needing change to the complete system, just use whats available to get what you need! understand?