Yola Website Makeover Challenge

• Announcement
  • Updated 11 years ago

All of us have seen them. Bad websites for great small businesses. It might even be your website.

Here's where you jump in. Stop the insanity. Lend a hand. Nominate a small business website that needs some help. We'll pick one out and if you're a web designer, graphic artist, or just love Yola, you can do a makeover.

The fun doesn’t stop there because there are prizes galore. The winning designer gets $2,000. The small business owner gets a shiny new Website worth $1,000. All Twitterers who retweet the @Yolacontest will be entered for a chance to win two tickets to the U2 360° Tour and a Blackberry.

Send in your nominations. In August we'll start accepting entries for the makeover design. So what are you waiting for? Nominate now.

Remember to follow us on twitter to get updates on the contest!
Photo of Charlene

Charlene

• 80 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
  • excited

Posted 11 years ago

Photo of Boomer

Boomer, Champion

• 2055 Posts
  • 84 Reply Likes
I hear you Lu,

I didn't mean physically helping out. As Lee said, helping Ed would be like 'teaching my grandmother to suck eggs'

I meant more like, checking for spelling mistakes, or him wanting to know where I got a certain snippet of code from, or widget etc, etc.

Although my own site is my own creation, a lot of the elements on it have been taken from other free code sites and tweaked for my own use. I know what you were meaning though, and it's a good caution for others.
Photo of Ed-a-Torials @ Honey Bear Playhomes

Ed-a-Torials @ Honey Bear Playhomes, Champion

• 2582 Posts
  • 279 Reply Likes
9 hours later and I am still laughing about grannies sucking eggs... LOL

• 2582 Posts
  • 279 Reply Likes
Oh also... in addition to the employee pics and names can we have high quality inside and outside store pics?

• 2582 Posts
  • 279 Reply Likes
Any luck with acquiring images to include to the websites... Looks kind bear... Oh I mean bare ;)
Photo of Connor McCarra

Connor McCarra, Champion

• 944 Posts
  • 47 Reply Likes
I'm quite annoyed about this. Yola is a very diverse service with users all over the world, even your offices are in two different continents! I would have preferred a none monetary prize if it meant everyone could participate.

I read over the FAQ's at the start of the challenge and saw this part:

Q: Who can participate?
A: Anyone.

This is what lead me to believe anyone could participate, and it should be changed too,' US residents only'. Then I went and started doing a mock-up of the ace hardware when it was chosen (You can see my mock-up here: cedarparkhardware.yolasite.com , I only got as far as the header! It also might not display well in ie) , only to find out my work was a waste of time.. :( ...

Anyway, the main reason I posted this reply is that I think Yola needs to rephrase that FAQ!

Good luck to the winning US resident designer!..
Photo of Alex

Alex

• 3448 Posts
  • 39 Reply Likes
oh yeah,

it should say.

Q Who can participate?

A Only People In The US
Photo of Connor McCarra

Connor McCarra, Champion

• 944 Posts
  • 47 Reply Likes
Yes, something like that.
Photo of UK Duke

UK Duke, Champion

• 3321 Posts
  • 213 Reply Likes
Connor,

I love the twitter bird - really nice.,
Photo of Monique

Monique

• 6294 Posts
  • 446 Reply Likes
Connor: good point. I will ask the organizers to make sure that is added to the FAQ next time. Also, we are working on ways to have contests in other parts of the world.

• 2582 Posts
  • 279 Reply Likes
Connor, Connor, Connor

Buddy we must think alike because out of searching through hundreds of free twitter birds last week I happened to pick that very one because I loved the look of it. Now you had to go and post it here for all to see. Thanks mate... ;) LOL

To change or not to change is now the question. See if Santa gives you a present this year. I'm thinkin a twitter bird dropping in your stocking. ;)

I am truly on the fence as to whether or not I should even submit the site I have created because of it being open to only us here. Decisions, decisions, decisions...
Photo of UK Duke

UK Duke, Champion

• 3321 Posts
  • 213 Reply Likes
for sure submit your design, the rest of us would if we could... its a noble thought, but you might as well put it in - reprazent the champs.

Lee.
Photo of Boomer

Boomer, Champion

• 2055 Posts
  • 84 Reply Likes
Up above here somwhere I said that "I would have given it a shot for a "free domain" and a badge! " - then I realised I was contradicting myself.

That's why I've decided I'm gonna give it a shot anyway. For me, It's not about the chance of winning any money (wishful thinking) , it's about gaining that extra experience. Come on guys, what you got to lose - two weeks of your life? Pfff

Ed's trembling, I can see it ;-)
Photo of UK Duke

UK Duke, Champion

• 3321 Posts
  • 213 Reply Likes
its on :)

I wish i had the time - for a chance of 2 g's i would find the time.

NOTE TO ALL: your going to have to step it up... Its not Boomers first time. :)
Photo of Boomer

Boomer, Champion

• 2055 Posts
  • 84 Reply Likes
Does that mean you're in Lee? - hope so!

Cavemen suck !!

• 2582 Posts
  • 279 Reply Likes
Hmmm I see how it is... I allow the B-man see my creation the other day and he thinks he can beat me... Hmmm you ain't see nothing yet mate. It's on like Donkey Kong.

Ooooo I'm so scared...

I have to admit something... I thought at the very beginning that I was just going to be able to throw something together in a day but when assessing the sites requirements and the owners hoped for end results I rethought that. I think looking back I took more time from my daily tasks than I should have to build it but it's all in fun anyway. I think that I am all done and just waiting on some pictures of the employees and a few more of the store if possible.

Here's what I have so far... http://ace101.yolasite.com/
Photo of Connor McCarra

Connor McCarra, Champion

• 944 Posts
  • 47 Reply Likes
Good site, I really love the way you organized the content, is it nearly ready for submitting?
Photo of Connor McCarra

Connor McCarra, Champion

• 944 Posts
  • 47 Reply Likes
;)

• 2582 Posts
  • 279 Reply Likes
Thanks Connor I tried to make it as best I could in the time I had. I hope the pictures of the employees put it over the top...
Photo of UK Duke

UK Duke, Champion

• 3321 Posts
  • 213 Reply Likes
@ Ed - I totally fell for it... You can say you got me.

Lee.

• 2582 Posts
  • 279 Reply Likes
Truth be told Lee you are in good company as they did also... ;)
Photo of John McCarthy

John McCarthy

• 1292 Posts
  • 99 Reply Likes
soo mean mr honey pot guy!!! you have upset me now :'(
i even fell for it after reading these comments,im going to go hang my head in shame :D
Photo of Alex

Alex

• 3448 Posts
  • 39 Reply Likes
i fell for it too :C

LOL ed, it was funny! =D
Photo of Boomer

Boomer, Champion

• 2055 Posts
  • 84 Reply Likes
Wow Ed, that's brilliant. Stiff competition guy's :-)
Funny guy you :-))) Cavemen rule!!